Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Miggy will still get lots of starts away from home, his pace makes defenders sit in & back off, and his work rate is great. His end product is frustrating but if we need to get a foothold away v the better sides he’s ideal. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

PaddockLad doesn't even understand basic positions, never mind the Athletic's upgraded version. This is when you start to see how the elderly get set in their ways. 

That initial rush of testosterone when they first drop… bless… 😘

• Haha 12

10 hours ago, Rayvin said:

@The Fish

Who do you think we should aim for?

I'm lost in the sea of names now and tbh it's starting to get a bit tedious.

Honestly, I think a lot of the names we're being linked with make a lot of sense. 

First we need to agree what we need. The game against Forest showed me that the idea is to press like a pack of dogs, find balls through the lines for a wide player to cut back.  We created loads of opportunities for Almiron to do that, but it didn't really create a high percentage chance. So for me, it's a threat from wide right. To fit into Howe's team they have to have some degree of defensive effort. To fit into the project they have to show some degree of potential. We're limited to players not expecting an huge wage or European football.

Bamba Dieng ("22" c£15-20m) looks good for the above, but he is very raw. He might want a move to a team playing in Europe.

Viktor Tsygankov(24 £25m+) from Kyiv could also be excellent- Left footed right sided attacker, good delivery from set pieces, presses well, the only issue is if we're trying to build from short intricate passes. He may also need to be incentivised to move to a non-Champions League team.

Maddison would not only be a huge improvement on what we've got, but would be the 'marquee' signing that would make other teams/players/agents take a bit more notice. However, I don't think Maddison will go for a palatable fee.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Based on no facts whatsoever, I think the truth is we have a very poor scouting set up and have been fishing in a very small pond for players that are not scouted etc.

I trust the two senior board appointments will get to work on this over time, so windows become a lot easier / more focussed going forward.

You think Botman, Burn, Guimaraes, Targett, and Trippier were not scouted?

Jesus H. Christ.

• Jaysus... 1

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You think Botman, Burn, Guimaraes, Targett, and Trippier were not scouted?

Jesus H. Christ.

That is absolutely not what he just said :lol:

Also he's absolutely right, we might have the benefits of Ashworth and Howes contacts but as far as an established scouting setup that fully work for the club, there is no way that it is extensively staffed or mature considering we're catching up on 14 years of rot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Also he's absolutely right, we might have the benefits of Ashworth and Howes contacts but as far as an established scouting setup that fully work for the club, there is no way that it is extensively staffed or mature considering we're catching up on 14 years of rot.

Exactly. 

I think it will be chalk and cheese very soon where we will be finding the likes of Bruno and Bosman earlier in their careers and then loaning them out to get experience. 

We will have a vast scouting network very soon as we are now a professional set up with the resources to fund it and need a stead flow of quality coming in.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Think it's something to do with Gemmill's testosterone after the de-elevation of his gonads heading south?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Andrew said:

See?! See what I mean?! Relying on what people say they saw is fucking dumb bumpkin bullshit. 

Stat me baby

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

See?! See what I mean?! Relying on what people say they saw is fucking dumb bumpkin bullshit. 

Stat me baby

What the fuck are you talking about?

• Haha 9

Interesting to note which two players were top of this one. 

Was also interesting to note how utterly dominant we were with 'shots on target' and 'touches in the opposition penalty area'. 

They're going to gazump us again aren't they the cunts.

Animated GIF

You would only hope that he'd see how little game time he'd get at PSG and go for us instead. This of course is assuming that Ramos is PSG and our current number one target for a new striker. Of course unless we play him as a SS and change our formation to 3-5-2, which of course would allow us to play Botman, Schar and Burn, then he won't be starting for us. But I'd be willing to bet he'd get more game time for us given he'd immediately overtake Wood as second choice striker, as opposed to having to get a start ahead of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe. 

Edited by Polarboy

According to the Knight Rider we're only 10m short of Sociedad's valuation of Isak, who's supposedly always been our number one attacking target this window, so the closer we get to the end of the window a compromise could perhaps be met. I say only 10m, but maybe they could negotiate add ons to make up the difference.  

4 hours ago, Polarboy said:

They're going to gazump us again aren't they the cunts.

Animated GIF

Neymar, Messi and Mbappe are their front 3 for the foreseeable. They now have Ekitike off the bench. Hopefully Ramos will see he's 5th choice and tell them to fuck off 

• Like 3

The second leg of their tie against Dynamo Kiev is two weeks away. If we could more or less be guaranteed to get Ramos off Benfica that would be one thing, but presumably we could quite easily wait two weeks, be in the last week of the window, and end up with our dick in our hands if a club like PSG etc, swoop in and sign him. Of course this is assuming that the report from the Portuguese paper is correct. 

Edited by Polarboy

On 01/08/2022 at 15:08, Polarboy said:

According to Romano Chelsea have hijacked Man City's bid for Cucurella. Cucurella is a left back of course, but a defensive minded one, so I could easily see him playing on the left of back three given Tuchel favours playing with a three and then wingbacks. So if Chelsea smash 50m on Cucurella I can't see them going after Fofana as well. 

it wasn't really a hi-jack. city bid 30m (so maybe we valued him around 40m who knows) but city have a track history of making a valuation then walking away if it becomes clear we'll have to pay more. It will cost us a few deals but there's always another player. Numerous cases, we walked away from 80m for Koulibaly a few years back and got Diaz which worked out ok. Similar for Fred, Sanchez, Maguire over the road. when the price got boosted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

it wasn't really a hi-jack. city bid 30m (so maybe we valued him around 40m who knows) but city have a track history of making a valuation then walking away if it becomes clear we'll have to pay more. It will cost us a few deals but there's always another player. Numerous cases, we walked away from 80m for Koulibaly a few years back and got Diaz which worked out ok. Similar for Fred, Sanchez, Maguire over the road. when the price got boosted.

Exactly where we want to be

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season