Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

And just like with the acquisition of Nick Pope, and the final stages of the Botman pursuit, it's come completely out of leftfield - not been reported by a single journo for weeks. 

Marvellous stuff, I love the way this club are conducting business. 

• Like 7

I was just about to post an angry rant after I woke up, saw 4 fresh pages in this thread, and assumed for sure we’d signed someone. Then I saw it was 3.5 pages of arguing with an idiot.

Good thing there was a sting in the tail or you’d all be for it. :throw::death:

• Haha 10

So have we switched targets to Isak from Pedro after a last minute compromise from Sociedad, or are we signing both? Interesting to see how Howe will introduce him to the team if everything goes to plan. He'll maybe play him wide right when Wilson is fit, but I think he's more comfortable playing on the left so perhaps he'll play ASM on the right. It's fucking hilarious that this has dropped after the discussion about the window this morning 😂

Edited by Polarboy
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

So have we switched targets to Isak from Pedro after a last minute compromise from Sociedad, or are we signing both? Interesting to see how Howe will introduce him to the team if everything goes to plan. He'll maybe play him wide right when Wilson is fit, but I think he's more comfortable playing on the left so perhaps he'll play ASM on the right. It's fucking hilarious that this has dropped after the discussion about the window this morning 😂

We've probably watched other clubs just absolutely pretending that FFP isn't even a thing and Ashworth's gone "REET. FUCK THIS! EDDIE PASS THE CHEQUEBOOK SON."

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Nah. Its done.

as our resident Spanish football expert, what’s your take on this player, Diego? Worth the alleged fee? 

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Not what I wanted to read.

Fuck knows if we were ever in for him but I think the Wilson situation changes the end of this window. Lots of West Ham reckon that Moyes doesn’t trust flair players very much and isn’t sure what to do with them. I think there’s something in that so hopefully this is the dildo sellers going above his head for a marquee summer window signing that their manager won’t be too keen on…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

as our resident Spanish football expert, what’s your take on this player, Diego? Worth the alleged fee? 

Let's see. Let's go by parts.

The first thing I have to say is that the fee seems very high. But I already commented in its day, when it sounded for 40-45 million, that for that price the Real Sociedad would never sell it.

I think I made a post back in the day telling a bit about the player. He is not my favorite if we want to ensure immediate performance, but I do think he is a great signing.

He is a very different player than Wilson. He is very good with the ball at his feet, he moves very well on the wing (left). He is capable of generating chances on his own even though he is outnumbered... He is good in aereal plays.

On the other hand, I think he is still a bit to develop. He has many conditions, but he doesn't know how to use them all.

And I think that also, when he manages to adapt all this, he will also be a very good scorer. Because, today, he is not a top scorer. 

To this day, he has been a streak forward. He had some very good months in the Netherlands, and at Real Sociedad he has been irregular. In fact, last year he and Sorloth were the worst pairing of strikers in Spain and the strikers who missed the most chances.

In my opinion, we should not judge him from the first day for bad. Although the first year he scored only 5 or 6 goals (I think he just scored 6 goals this last year). He is a boy who is 22 years old and has already played 5 in the elite. He has something. But he has to make that leap.

I sincerely hope he doesn't start from day one just because of his high price tag. I have no doubt that's not going to happen, because we saw that it didn't happen with Bruno, and it wouldn't have happened with Botman if Targett was healthy.

So I hope that he is in the shadow of Wilson and little by little he can find his place.

Without a doubt, he is a very good bet for the future. And I think that his style of play can also greatly enhance the second line and players like St. maximin, Bruno and Almirón.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Fucking hell it's happening. 

Diego wins the Internet. 

Are we just gonna delete The Fish's account or something? 

Whose account? 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season