Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I'm only able to catch up with higlights for most games so I'm possibly missing something but whats happening with Burn playing left back rather than Targett?

Our results have been excellent obviously and you can't complain that Targett being out of the side is costing us but he is our only full time left back.

If hes being kept out of the side by Burn should we be looking to add a trippier level (big ask) upgrade at LB?

4 hours ago, Howay said:

Aye I’ve got a feeling Isak was bought as a wide forward who can cover the CF rather than primary cover for the CF position. Wilson basically said as much in that podcast he has, as much as I like Wilson I agree we absolutely need cover especially if we do get into Europe as that means at least 6+ games onto our season. 

I think re CM we’re kind of at a similar point just slightly prioritizing different - I personally think we should just sign both Maddison and a 6 in January as that would give us an exceptional midfield with plenty depth overnight. Maddison is kind of a no brainer signing for us honestly which is why I really hope it happens, he’s the kind of dynamic creative force we really need and he’s not going to get a move to any of the other sides competing for the top 4 (purely out of arrogance imo as there’s no reason Liverpool shouldn’t be in for him), he also covers so many positions in that he can play wide, behind the forward, or that Willock role just advanced of Bruno. I think going forward Joelinton becomes our Milner type player in that he just covers every position from midfield up and with European football having a player like that in our squad is vital. 

If we could sign Diaby/Trossard, Alvarez/Sangare, and Maddison in January I think we’d be a shoe in for CL football, and I think the football world would throw their collective toys out the pram. 

I just wonder... if we beat Chelsea, gan in to the end of December a solidified 3rd, will they scrap the FFP navigating shite and have a tilt at the title? Ordinarily there's opportunity here bit Man City with Haaland is off-putting.

I think the title is well out of range. We'll be decent double figures points off Man City by the time 38 games have been played. 

Even if we went a bit daft in January, it's just not gonna be that easy to win the league. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think the title is well out of range. We'll be decent double figures points off Man City by the time 38 games have been played. 

Even if we went a bit daft in January, it's just not gonna be that easy to win the league. 

It wasn’t going to be easy to stay up and then it wasn’t going to be easy to break into the top 4. I think you’ll find we will make light work of this league and then Europe will follow. It’s a race between us and the Chinese as to who achieves world dominance first 

• Haha 6

46 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'm only able to catch up with higlights for most games so I'm possibly missing something but whats happening with Burn playing left back rather than Targett?

Our results have been excellent obviously and you can't complain that Targett being out of the side is costing us but he is our only full time left back.

If hes being kept out of the side by Burn should we be looking to add a trippier level (big ask) upgrade at LB?

All this seasons matches are available on fullmatchreplays.com 

Im sure someone more footbally will give you an answer :) 

Top 4 potential is now a reality. The usual contenders are having problems at the moment with consistency through one reason or another and there's the added pressure of a condensed schedule with added European competition. Given the ties of the last 16 however, some of these clubs may find themselves without it soon anyway. 

Given the attention to detail and structure we have been putting in place over the last 12 months, I'm sure the club has a fairly clear strategy on targets and budgets for January. This isn't Ashley's trolley dash at half 10 on transfer deadline night anymore. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

IMO ASM is on his way out. He prefers Greek games and bandages than grafting and not been top dog. Get trossard and Maddison in

:lol: 

Fuck off man. He saved our bacon with a last minute wonder strike against Wolves and fucked his hamstring. Only played a cameo on Sunday but still got an assist.

Watch him bag a hat trick on Wednesday. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Fuck off man. He saved our bacon with a last minute wonder strike against Wolves and fucked his hamstring. Only played a cameo on Sunday but still got an assist.

Watch him bag a hat trick on Wednesday. 

Reverse psychology 😆

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Ashleys trolley dash - beautifully put. I still can’t quite believe those days are over, and we’re talking about the likes of Diaby and Maddison. 

Big Brother Dreaming GIF by Big Brother Australia

Edited by Kitman
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, toonotl said:

It's an interesting one on the holding midfielder because I tend to agree that getting that position nailed down couldp be transformative. But it feels like a properly world class DM is the hardest position to get right in the transfer market. There's so many intangibles that perhaps are difficult to assess analytically. Then the player also has to perhaps be on the edge of being a liability for being a bit of a mad bastard which brings the hardness to dominate and run the game from the middle. Then there's the question of whether you would want someone with more creativity, perhaps at the expense of defensive solidity. Personally, I'm always a big fan of having a proper asshole in the midfield to ruin nancy-pants AMs day on the regular.

Who would you go for, Diego? And what would they cost?

FYP

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Burn has been caught out a few times with how long it takes him to change direction but otherwise he's defensively very good and almost guaranteed to win any headers against wide forwards. He's also actually not bad with the ball at his feet, surprised me on a few occassions, though it always feels risky when he pushes high. My explanation is two fold, he's known to be a great leader so brings that attitude onto the pitch in every game (his urgency has saved our bacon multiple times and only cost us in that game against Everton last season where he was CB) and secondly he's bloody huge so has a massive role to play both in our attacking and defending of set pieces. Howe will keep playing him whilst we don't pay for those occassional moments where he's not as agile as a smaller player is, but at the same time I do believe that he does have full faith in Targett being able to do the job there too when the time comes.

Finally what a shocking time to be only able to catch our highlights. What's going on in NZ that you can't watch the entire games?

45 minutes ago, OTF said:

Burn has been caught out a few times with how long it takes him to change direction but otherwise he's defensively very good and almost guaranteed to win any headers against wide forwards. He's also actually not bad with the ball at his feet, surprised me on a few occassions, though it always feels risky when he pushes high. My explanation is two fold, he's known to be a great leader so brings that attitude onto the pitch in every game (his urgency has saved our bacon multiple times and only cost us in that game against Everton last season where he was CB) and secondly he's bloody huge so has a massive role to play both in our attacking and defending of set pieces. Howe will keep playing him whilst we don't pay for those occassional moments where he's not as agile as a smaller player is, but at the same time I do believe that he does have full faith in Targett being able to do the job there too when the time comes.

Finally what a shocking time to be only able to catch our highlights. What's going on in NZ that you can't watch the entire games?

Mostly us playing at 2 or 3am.

I /could/ watch games after the fact but its practically impossible for me to get the two hours+ to find, download and then watch a full match first thing which means I go on here or twitter etc and know the result.

So I tend to watch highlights. 

46 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Mostly us playing at 2 or 3am.

...but its practically impossible for me to get the two hours+ to find

Watch them live, that way there's nothing to stop you watching them apart from your own will. It's worked well enough for me for the last 20 odd years.

7 minutes ago, OTF said:

Watch them live, that way there's nothing to stop you watching them apart from your own will. It's worked well enough for me for the last 20 odd years.

Aye but you're in sydney, you're two or three hours behind me.

If our lunchtime games were at 9 or 10pm I'd be all over them.

I do typically watch our latest kickoffs since they're 7 or 8am but the afternoon games are not viable for me.

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

Playing Burn at CB means Trippier can push forward further on the right hand side. Burn stays deeper and makes it almost 3 at the back. We still get width on both flanks, but we're solid at the back. Can't really do that with Targett.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season