Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

10 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

£40m seems a bit shit when you could probs get Maddison for £50-60m.

You're buying potential mostly, plus Gordon is nearly 6 years younger than Maddison. Hopefully Maddison will be at the club come the end of the summer. In fairness to Gordon his pace and first touch is top class when he's on it. 

Edit. Before wykikitoon posts a meme I'd like to say that I didn't see his post before I changed the page. Great minds and all that 😂

Edited by Polarboy
  • Haha 2

Age alone doesn't equal potential. Gordon showed a bit of fire and drive in very shite team last year. So far he's done very little to show he can be anywhere near Maddison's level in the final third. 

The 40M would be mainly thanks to Chelsea/Man Utd blowing up the market for wide players. I'm still hoping there's no truth in this rumour. 

7 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

You're buying potential mostly, plus Gordon is nearly 6 years younger than Maddison. Hopefully Maddison will be at the club come the end of the summer. In fairness to Gordon his pace and first touch is top class when he's on it. 

Edit. Before wykikitoon posts a meme I'd like to say that I didn't see his post before I changed the page. Great minds and all that 😂

Whenever we played Everton he's been one player that made me nervous with his pace going into the box and his ability to wind people up 😂

• Like 1

I’m not sure I get all the hate for Gordon. I get that he’s unlikable but he’s a young, quick English winger with bags of potential. Okay he’s going to bring the average looks of the side down but I think he could be a good addition. All that really matters is Ashcroft and Eddie are convinced he’s good enough. I remember thinking SBR had a nightmare when we signed Bellamy and was happily proved wrong 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

re: Gordon, I'm not sure I would even at 4m. He's a shit clogger who had three months of decent form. 40m for that clown is the sort of transfer Chelsea would do, not the shrewd business that Howe and co have made their trademark. 

So you think the club have suddenly went from shrewd to buying shit cloggers? And you're talking about Gordon as if he's in his mid to late twenties. He's only been on the PL scene properly for a season and a half. Any transfer can go wrong and the club won't get every one right, and buying young players you think have potential is probably even more fraught with the possibility of it going tits up, but if we haven't come to trust Howe and Ashworth's judgement yet then I don't know what they have to do. Personally the only problem I have with Gordon is that he seems like a twat and is a diver, but if we manage to buy him and he starts scoring and assisting that will quickly fade. 

• Like 4

On a side note, if an assumed unwillingness to sell wasn't an issue then I'd love us to go for the 18 year old off Brighton Evan Ferguson. The header he scored the other night was vintage Shearer. He has 3 goals and 2 assists in 189 minutes of football. And from a personal point of view it would be nice to see an Irish lad at the club again.  

• Like 1

The one thing I would say about our mooted interest in Gordon is that I don't think there's any great urgency to bring him in unless he's really pushing to leave Everton and the price is reflective of that. His preferred position is wide on the left where Willock is currently in pretty good form and where Joelinton and Isak are also comfortable playing. Who knows what Lampard's sacking will mean for their playing roster.

I'd take zero notice of it unless it comes out we've actually made a bid for him. If we have and he comes then you have to gamble on the recruitment team knowing their stuff and confident they can make him an asset. It's speculation ATM and that's the way I prefer it, they play their cards close to their chests these days, no cosy phone calls to David Craig or Alan Oliver these days. Gordon may look like the emaciated, drug addled son of Clare Balding and be a diving, whiney faced little cunt but I'll trust Dan and co >if < they actually want him.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'd take zero notice of it unless it comes out we've actually made a bid for him. If we have and he comes then you have to gamble on the recruitment team knowing their stuff and confident they can make him an asset. It's speculation ATM and that's the way I prefer it, they play their cards close to their chests these days, no cosy phone calls to David Craig or Alan Oliver these days. Gordon may look like the emaciated, drug addled son of Clare Balding and be a diving, whiney faced little cunt but I'll trust Dan and co >if < they actually want him.

Point Agree GIF by Ford

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

If what’s reported today is accurate ie it’s his agent trying to get him out of Everton then it’s odds on to be utter bollocks that he’s coming to SJP :cuppa: 

• Like 3

The players we bought who have been a revelation came before the recruitment team we have now were in place.

Just saying like.

If Gordon is the way forward I think I’d rather trust Mandy and Ghodoussi.

At 21 we can sign him to a long-term contract as per Chelsea's tactic to spread the fee over 10 years or until Gordon hits puberty or whatever which effectively makes it a Bosman at any price pretty much.

I hope the transfer goes through really. It's always the case that you hate these types of players until they're your own, then you love them because their antics windup the opposition and their supporters. As for his form, I don't think any of the current squad under Lampard at Everton deserves to be judged on current form. Lampard has been an absolutely dismal appointment who makes players worse as per the Bruce approach.

On a side note, it would seem that ASM could be on the way out. I'm not convinced that's a good plan but it could be likely given a new left sided winger reduces ASM's playing time even further.

It's odd that the Everton fans have turned on Gordon after he was critical to their survival last season and is still their leading scorer this year in the league. That said Lampard has been atrocious for them, blaming everyone but himself and yet they seemingly still think he did a good job so there's not much logic being applied.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dougle said:

The players we bought who have been a revelation came before the recruitment team we have now were in place.

Just saying like.

If Gordon is the way forward I think I’d rather trust Mandy and Ghodoussi.

benitez GIF

This man personally bought Schär and Miggy.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Whenever we played Everton he's been one player that made me nervous with his pace going into the box and his ability to wind people up 😂

A scouse player is winding you up? You learn something new every day…

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season