Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Gordon is a player with some of the traits that Howe's system needs. High pressing, bit of a shithouse.

In the last 365 days he's; in the 95th percentile and higher for tackles, interceptions, blocks and all that. 

He doesn't get off a lot of shots, but those he does are generally on target. 

The biggest issue in his game is the passing. His passing stats are atrocious. 5th percentile for passes attempted, 5th percentile for pass completion %. He only attempted 23 passes per 90, on average. By comparison Almiron and ASM are significantly more involved in knocking the ball around, 34 and 35  per 90 respectively. 

He miscontrols the pass more often, per 90, than MA and ASM as well. 

Now, that could be because he's a winger playing in a shit team that doesn't see a lot of the ball. Or it could be because he's bobbins...

Like others have said, I trust Howe and Ashworth (they've not got much wrong so far) but I just don't see what they see in him. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

How the fook are Chelsea now buying Enzo Fernandez?  Another £100m ?

Amortised over a 100yr deal, it's a drop in the ocean. 

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth, they don't seem remotely upset at the prospect of him leaving

Gordon is slowly slipping into Ross Barkley territory. I'm at the point where I've come to terms with relegation, I'd sell Gordon just so that Goodison stinks that little bit less.

He's nowhere near Barkley.

It's being harsh to Barkley to lump them in together, because at least Barkley did some good things for us over a period of time. Gordon has done nothing yet.

They’re the same as mackems tbh, they love Lampard because he throws his hands up and blames players and they just follow that. Gordon was the best young talent in England according to the same fan base 6 months ago (again same as the mackems whenever a youth player has a good game), maybe he has been shite but who could blame him? Their fanbase blockaded his car and angrily confronted him after a game I’m not sure I’d show much desire to stay around and help as a 21 year old. If our recruitment staff decide to get Gordon, and we sign him then I trust them especially over a bunch of bitter scouse mackems. 

They need relegated honestly, it’ll be good for the league to get rid of another club that does absolutely fuck all besides linger round the bottom half. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tbh there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that Ashworth was assisting NUFC when on “gardening leave” and probably before his appointment was even announced. 

There’s nothing to stop him sending a text or something. 

“Yo Mandy, Bruno @ Lyon 🍆🍆🍆🍆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Tbh there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that Ashworth was assisting NUFC when on “gardening leave” and probably before his appointment was even announced. 

There’s nothing to stop him sending a text or something. 

“Yo Mandy, Bruno @ Lyon 🍆🍆🍆🍆

I said this at the time, it would be preposterous if he wasn't, especially with the gravity of our situation at the time. I doubt Brighton were tapping his phone. 

If we sold ASM and replaced him with Anthony 'First kid at school to try Meth' Gordon, I wouldn't be happy at all. 

I'd be sad. I'd be very, very sad.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If we sold ASM and replaced him with Anthony 'First kid at school to try Meth' Gordon, I wouldn't be happy at all. 

I'd be sad. I'd be very, very sad.

You'd be sad, maximum

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

hope is usually on the money. i know there's a premium for english players, but anything north of £30-40m is surely a punt for this lad. 

if we're seriously considering spending £50-60m, i'd rather we went back in for madison - less of a gamble. 

• Like 1

Hope's article states that we're in talks with several overseas clubs, but it's not clear if the players of those clubs are back ups in case the Gordon deal falls apart or we're after more than Gordon in terms of attacking reinforcement. It would be nice to say the least if we could get two or three players who can compete for a first team spot straight away this window. Ziyech would be a very nice pick up as a loan as well. Both he and Gordon can play wide and as a 10, so they'd give us a lot of flexibility and options as I was saying the other day. 

Edited by Polarboy

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season