Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I was listening to the Athletic podcast episode about Juventus, the docked points, and the fact that Paratici (now director of football at Spurs) is now banned from Italian football for 30 months. 

Questions outstanding as to whether Spurs will have to sack him and he's seen as integral to their transfer dealings. 

Would be nice if this could set them back even further. 

Apparently Onana didn't show up to training for Everton today either. Onana would be perfect for our midfield in that defensive role, but I haven't seen any rumours of our interest in him. Chelsea will probably spunk another 100m on him and stick him on the bench. 

Edited by Polarboy

7 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Apparently Onana didn't show up to training for Everton today either. Onana would be perfect for our midfield in that defensive role, but I haven't seen any rumours of our interest in him. Chelsea will probably spunk another 100m on him and stick him on the bench. 

TBH I should imagine any player who hasn't got the discipline to show up for training will feature extremely low on any shortlist the likes of Howe & Ashworth are drawing up. Irrespective of how good they are.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Craig said:

TBH I should imagine any player who hasn't got the discipline to show up for training will feature extremely low on any shortlist the likes of Howe & Ashworth are drawing up. Irrespective of how go they are.

Well I don't know if he didn't show up because he's about to be sold and the club have allowed him the time off, or whether he's huffing with the club in order to get a move. There's also the third option that the information that he didn't show up isn't entirely accurate. 

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2023/01/24/sky-sports-two-newcastle-targets-absent-from-training-on-tuesday-as-transfer-talks-intensify/

Apparently there are rumours that we're after Onana as well as Gordon. A Belgian journalist, Onana is Beligian himself, has reported that we've registered an interest, as has Bailey over at 90mins. Two 21 year olds with immense amounts of potential under Howe's coaching could be top class additions. I have to admit that I haven't watched much of Everton this season for obvious reasons, but this Onana lad is an absolute unit at 6'4 and Everton paid an initial 30 odd million for him so he's obviously highly rated. 

38 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

The Danjuma hijacking his hilarious. Hadn't he just completed a medical at Everton? :lol: Couldn't be more of a shambles for them at the moment. 

Not only had he done the medical he'd done all the promo video/photo shoots over the weekend evidently 😂😂😂

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

They’d laid out all his gear for training this morning too :lol: 

We attracted the likes of Trippier and Bruno in a similar situation last year. 

Massively bigger club though aren't they....

Conceded we weren't nearly as toxic a club, but that's there psycho fans for you.

Edited by aimaad22

4 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

In Eddie we trust!

I saw Gordon play a couple of times last year and thought he looked excellent.

The new Shane.

He's a horrible little shit and if we sign him I hope EH will kick his arse if he tries all that diving shite

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

Onana seems to fit the mould. Aggressive and full of energy, yet seems really mild mannered and polite when I've seen him interviewed. 

That’s how Hong Kong Phoey rolls. I’m in 

If we can get Gordan for 40mill in the current market then that's good business in my opinion. I wouldn't judge him too harshly given he's been playing under Lampard. It could turn out in 12 months time that we've picked Everton's pocket.

I do hope it doesn't mean the end of ASM at the club. I feel he still offers something to the squad which we'd struggle to replace.

• Like 1

For sale:

One Premier League football club*

*until May

(also, sale does not include a manager or any FFP wiggle room to buy new players. Sale does however include a commitment to build a new £500m stadium that will never be filled).

I’m sure they’ll be queuing up to take it off his hands.

Really hope this isn't true. I trust in Howe and co of course but I fail to see how a wide player is the solution to our shortage up front, especially as Willock's been doing well there, Joelinton can play there, ASM is still available off the bench, Isak is even supposed to be able to play wide left. How does this player plug any sort of hole in our system? I saw a comment earlier about buying for potential - I don't think we're at the point where we can spend 40m on "potential." 

Now, if we sold ASM, I could see it maybe. 

36 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

Really hope this isn't true. I trust in Howe and co of course but I fail to see how a wide player is the solution to our shortage up front, especially as Willock's been doing well there, Joelinton can play there, ASM is still available off the bench, Isak is even supposed to be able to play wide left. How does this player plug any sort of hole in our system? I saw a comment earlier about buying for potential - I don't think we're at the point where we can spend 40m on "potential." 

Now, if we sold ASM, I could see it maybe. 

I largely agree. It all comes down to what the price is.

For a wide player he really does play a lot through the middle (right footed playing on the left) so perhaps Howe is envisioning him being similar to Maddison in an attacking midfield role if we are indeed interested.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season