Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

i don't think we have the depth in the squad to be letting ASM go tbh, unless were getting 3-4 in.

i'd be much happier to let fraser or murphy go, but i doubt many suitors are banging our door down for them 

• Like 2

Gordon, Ashby and maybe that Brazilian attacking mid Matheus Franca. It would be a decent January window, but they're all players that are largely unrealised potential with perhaps only Gordon ready to start. It would be ideal if we could also get someone like Ziyech on loan for that little bit of experience, but it seems like he's just a back up to Gordon in case that falls through. 

• Like 3

I know we're all supposed to be "trust the process" yada yada yada but if the rumours of us shipping out ASM to bring in Gordon are true, I fail to see how that's decent business.  Paying £60m for Gordon is also bad business imo given we gave up on Maddison when those types of figures started being banded about.

• Like 2

I don't buy the shipping out ASM for Gordon "rumours" it's the 2+2=7 merchants, who haven't grasped that it's a squad game these days, you need depth everywhere the days of you've already got X why they buying Y (X must be away) are long gone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I don't buy the shipping out ASM for Gordon "rumours" it's the 2+2=7 merchants, who haven't grasped that it's a squad game these days, you need depth everywhere the days of you've already got X why they buying Y (X must be away) are long gone.

I'd agree with that, certainly in ASM's case. But I do think we need to ship out some of the players who can't get us to where we need to be, players who have been in or around our first team; Shelvey, Dubravka*, Darlow, Lascelles, etc.

*I know we can't sell him this window.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd agree with that, certainly in ASM's case. But I do think we need to ship out some of the players who can't get us to where we need to be, players who have been in or around our first team; Shelvey, Dubravka*, Darlow, Lascelles, etc.

*I know we can't sell him this window.

Absolutely agree, we need to upgrade the squad but not at the better end of it, whoever we sign isn't a sign that the current "player in possession of the shirt" is the one who'll by default make way. The one's you mention plus Lewis, Dummett, Fraser etc. (I like Murphy as a squad player just now).

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Absolutely agree, we need to upgrade the squad but not at the better end of it, whoever we sign isn't a sign that the current "player in possession of the shirt" is the one who'll by default make way. The one's you mention plus Lewis, Dummett, Fraser etc. (I like Murphy as a squad player just now).

We've still got Clark, Hayden, Hendrick on our books too. 

So who's that? 

Clark

Darlow

Dubravka

Dummett

Fraser

Gillespie

Hayden

Hendrick

Krafth

Lascelles

Lewis

Manquillo

Shelvey

Not a lot there where you could expect to get any serious money for. Dubravka and Fraser? Maybe? More important to get those phat wages off the books

• Like 1

He acts like a fucking arsehole but there's no denying he's a great player. And as that shows, he absolutely fits our mould in terms of his intensity. Not unlike Miggy for chasing the ball all over the place.

12 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

He's a good player, a twat, but a good player (and I've fucking heard of him/seen him play)

no, you're wrong.

he's shite and a complete and utter waste of money. what's more, he wouldn't get anywhere near the starting line-up of the mackem's current team of multi ballon d'or winning superstars. read it here....

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/anthony-gordon-going-to-scum.1598785/

• Haha 10

35 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

no, you're wrong.

he's shite and a complete and utter waste of money. what's more, he wouldn't get anywhere near the starting line-up of the mackem's current team of multi ballon d'or winning superstars. read it here....

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/anthony-gordon-going-to-scum.1598785/

:lol: Again just fucking absurd by their lot, many comparing Diallo to him - worth mentioning that whatever some think of Gordon him and Diallo are similar age and Gordon so far has attracted £60m bids from Chelsea, and real strong interest by us - a team that whatever the mackems think has massive draw now so we have a lot of options and he’s seemingly our number one, compared to Diallo who has played half a season in the Championship, Manchester United have had precisely no desire to bring him back and he’s had no interest besides Sunderland.

I’m sure the kid is a talented player but Manchester United also paid around £40m for him iirc and he’s far and away more unproven than Gordon at this point - it also further underlined how misguided their point is when the main player they’re trying to compare him to isn’t some diamond they unearthed for cheap but a bloke that cost similar to what we are bidding for Gordon. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

Sky Sports Italia are reporting that AC Milan have held talks with ASM's agents and he'd be amenable to making the move. The sticking point is supposedly us asking for at least 30m Euro. Italian football media seems even dodgier than UK media so I'm not sure how seriously it should be taken. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season