Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

On 27/01/2023 at 17:43, Isegrim said:

That’s mean.

Even CN doesn’t deserve this tbh.

I am with Craig though. I do think that’s our business done this window. Caulkin and Ornstein do think so, too.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Watching Tv GIF by Gogglebox Australia

1 hour ago, Howay said:

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/will-chelseas-transfer-spend-break

Here’s the piece, so their losses are fucking huge each year and unlikely to improve but they’ve been overcoming them with massive player sales. The issue they have is that’s less likely going forward, which has started telling with the struggles to move on the likes of Bakayoko, Lukaku, Ziyech, etc. 

Was just having a look at their business in the last 7 seasons. They've made significant losses in 5/7 seasons from 2017-2023. 19/20 they sold Hazard for £100m, and 2021/22 they sold a few players to offset £99m of the £99.4m they spent on Lukaku. 

They've consistently made significant losses on their transfers as well. I get that a player's value isn't simply measured in terms of fees paid vs fees recouped, but Holy Shit;

£15m on Barkley, barely played released on a free. (-£15m)

£30m on Rudiger, mainstay of the team, free transferred. (-£30m)

£33m on Drinkwater, barely played, free transfer 5 years later. (-£33m)

£34m on Batshuayi, barely played and only recouped £8m from loan and transfer fees. (-£26m)

£35m on Bakayoko, £11m from loan and transfer fees. (-£24m)

£46m on Timo Werner, sold for £17.5m 2 seasons later. (-£28.5m)

£100m Romelu Lukaku in 2021/22 loan fee of c£7m the following season. (-£93m)

And that's ignoring the wages they've dished out to these players. 

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 2

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

we have two luke edwards fanboys in our midst then.

potentially three, with wykiki also looking like he'll be on the chicken and wine train before the match kicks off at this rate 

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Was just having a look at their business in the last 7 seasons. They've made significant losses in 5/7 seasons from 2017-2023. 19/20 they sold Hazard for £100m, and 2021/22 they sold a few players to offset £99m of the £99.4m they spent on Lukaku. 

They've consistently made significant losses on their transfers as well. I get that a player's value isn't simply measured in terms of fees paid vs fees recouped, but Holy Shit;

£15m on Barkley, barely played released on a free. (-£15m)

£30m on Rudiger, mainstay of the team, free transferred. (-£30m)

£33m on Drinkwater, barely played, free transfer 5 years later. (-£33m)

£34m on Batshuayi, barely played and only recouped £8m from loan and transfer fees. (-£26m)

£35m on Bakayoko, £11m from loan and transfer fees. (-£24m)

£46m on Timo Werner, sold for £17.5m 2 seasons later. (-£28.5m)

£100m Romelu Lukaku in 2021/22 loan fee of c£7m the following season. (-£93m)

And that's ignoring the wages they've dished out to these players. 

Drinkwater :lol: Forgot about him. Now at Reading.

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we have two luke edwards fanboys in our midst then.

potentially three, with wykiki also looking like he'll be on the chicken and wine train before the match kicks off at this rate 

As I said, the notion that you're daring to suggest anyone is of a negative disposition is utterly ridiculous :lol:

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Drinkwater :lol: Forgot about him. Now at Reading.

Chelsea have a ridiculously bad record on transfers, but because they've been propped up it's not really damaged them. Yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

:lol: as funny as the patter is, the player’s nonplussed reaction to the deal being done was the best part 

Miguel de Souza, 15 appearances, 0 goals.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, David Kelly said:

I think we're taking a real risk in terms of going for Champions League qualification if we don't have a midfielder come in.  We all knew we were short at the begining of the window and although Shelvey has played very little this season. selling him certainly doesn't help matters.  And I don't buy the theory that bringing Gordon in allows us to move Joelinton back more centrally.  We've had Maxi pretty much fit since before the world cup so we already had that option (Isak further increased the options too).

I'm certainly not going to whine on like an Arsenal fan as we're in a fantastic position (hopefully even better after tonight) but I think this would be the first failure of the new regime if we don't bring anyone else in.  It might be that we carry luck with injuries and form and Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff and Willock can carry us through the rest of the season.  But even if that happens I think we will have been shown a little wanting this month in our recruitment.

agree with this take. Failing to replace Shelvey would feel like the new owner’s first misstep. Our first team is still good enough to finish top 4 but we’re gambling on our midfielders staying fit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

these cunts not signed anybody this afternoon?

We’ve been linked with a South Korean wonder kid who was often rumoured to be signing on transfer deadline day when Ashley was in charge

Fu Kin Nee Won

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

agree with this take. Failing to replace Shelvey would feel like the new owner’s first misstep. Our first team is still good enough to finish top 4 but we’re gambling on our midfielders staying fit. 

Signing someone just for the sake of having an extra body would be a mistake.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Signing someone just for the sake of having an extra body would be a mistake.

letting Shelvey go without  a replacement lined up was a mistake 

• Jaysus... 1

Tough crowd on here ffs. :lol:

We've spent £260m or something in three windows. A player has left unexpectedly at the end of the window, reportedly for £10m when he's nearly out of contract, and it frees up £70k per week. You can't say no to that. 

If no one comes in, it won't be for lack of effort, I'm sure. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season