Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I won't be as clued up on Felix as Diego, but I think he plays more like a left sided attacking midfielder/forward. He'd be like an improvement on ASM. 

If he was available and if he wanted to join us and if we could afford him, it's easy to make a case for signing him. But purely in terms of what the squad needs right now, I'm not sure left sided attack is where we're weak.

That said, Maddison is a right sided attack and with Almiron playing the way he is, I'm not sure that's a weakness either. 

Both are improvements, both have bags of potential, both will likely move to elite clubs very soon. Might be a case of striking while the iron is hot.

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I won't be as clued up on Felix as Diego, but I think he plays more like a left sided attacking midfielder/forward. He'd be like an improvement on ASM. 

If he was available and if he wanted to join us and if we could afford him, it's easy to make a case for signing him. But purely in terms of what the squad needs right now, I'm not sure left sided attack is where we're weak.

That said, Maddison is a right sided attack and with Almiron playing the way he is, I'm not sure that's a weakness either. 

Both are improvements, both have bags of potential, both will likely move to elite clubs very soon. Might be a case of striking while the iron is hot.

you could play maddison in either of the wide positions, as one of the attacking "number 8s" in howe's 4-3-3 system or as a "number 10" behind the striker if we changed it up. he be an absolutely quality addition to the squad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you could play maddison in either of the wide positions, as one of the attacking "number 8s" in howe's 4-3-3 system or as a "number 10" behind the striker if we changed it up. he be an absolutely quality addition to the squad. 

True enough. I'd love either of them at Newcastle to be honest. But I genuinely think the biggest weaknesses in the current squad are a true number 6 (DM), a Trippier-esque left back and depth at CF, RB, and maybe CB.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

True enough. I'd love either of them at Newcastle to be honest. But I genuinely think the biggest weaknesses in the current squad are a true number 6 (DM), a Trippier-esque left back and depth at CF, RB, and maybe CB.

i'm intrigued to see what the new lean mean jonjo brings in the second half the season. 

isak will be "like a new signing" too given he's only played about 3 games so far 

• Like 1

Joao Felix is supposed to be the third best talent of the Haaland and Mbappe generation. And he's supposed to be as good as they are by now. But not.

Joao Felix has been at Atleti for 4 years and is still at the same point he was at in 2019. It is very irregular.

You see him play and you know that he is a spectacular player. He has amazing technique... But that only happens very rarely.

His 'natural' position is as Fish says. He plays as a left midfielder. The problem is that playing there, he has a lot of ball in midfield, he slows down the game a lot and they make a lot of fouls in midfield and he can't progress.

His best performance in his career has come from playing alongside another '9'. It was there that he exploded in Benfica scoring 17 goals and giving 11 assists in 29 games.

Last year, Simeone tested him by playing as a center forward and scored 7 goals and gave 3 assists in 11 games.

But Joao has two problems. One is that he gets injured a lot. The other, that he is quite childish. He is absurdly angry, sometimes he seems uncommitted and at Atleti he has had some problems in the dressing room.

There is no doubt that if you manage to make the most of Joao Felix (and he wants to) we are talking about a world class player.

But I have many doubts that he ends up really exploding at that level because after 4 years I have not seen any improvement.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm intrigued to see what the new lean mean jonjo brings in the second half the season. 

isak will be "like a new signing" too given he's only played about 3 games so far 

Jonjo isn't defensively minded enough for me. I want David Batty kicking seven shades of shit out of everyone.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Joao Felix is supposed to be the third best talent of the Haaland and Mbappe generation. And he's supposed to be as good as they are by now. But not.

Joao Felix has been at Atleti for 4 years and is still at the same point he was at in 2019. It is very irregular.

You see him play and you know that he is a spectacular player. He has amazing technique... But that only happens very rarely.

His 'natural' position is as Fish says. He plays as a left midfielder. The problem is that playing there, he has a lot of ball in midfield, he slows down the game a lot and they make a lot of fouls in midfield and he can't progress.

His best performance in his career has come from playing alongside another '9'. It was there that he exploded in Benfica scoring 17 goals and giving 11 assists in 29 games.

Last year, Simeone tested him by playing as a center forward and scored 7 goals and gave 3 assists in 11 games.

But Joao has two problems. One is that he gets injured a lot. The other, that he is quite childish. He is absurdly angry, sometimes he seems uncommitted and at Atleti he has had some problems in the dressing room.

There is no doubt that if you manage to make the most of Joao Felix (and he wants to) we are talking about a world class player.

But I have many doubts that he ends up really exploding at that level because after 4 years I have not seen any improvement.

I'm out.

6 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Im Out GIF by BBC

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Diego has spoken 

Let's see. I am a member of Atleti and I want Joao to leave the team as soon as possible.

And I know that, perhaps, in another team and in another context, he can become a truly differential player.

But it's been 4 years now and he hasn't been at Atleti, so I'm tired of him.

And I hope Newcastle doesn't buy it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 09/12/2022 at 10:00, Dr Gloom said:

joao felix or maddison? 

If there’s any hope we sign Maddison he should be our number 1 target imo. The bloke is fucking proven to be top drawer in the PL, is also still young, and from everything I can tell has a good attitude in terms of professionalism (obviously there’s stuff in the press about him but overall he seems to always be available for games and puts in consistently class performances). 

I'd love Maddison, but I'm not 100% sure where he fits into how we play? Unless he drops in for Willock and plays at the front of our midfield 3? 

A replacement for ASM/Murphy/Fraser on the LW is a priority. Or is Isak going to play there and cut in?

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'd love Maddison, but I'm not 100% sure where he fits into how we play? Unless he drops in for Willock and plays at the front of our midfield 3? 

A replacement for ASM/Murphy/Fraser on the LW is a priority. Or is Isak going to play there and cut in?

I saw him as the Willock replacement, and then get a DM to replace Longstaff/Shelvey. Maddison is also capable of playing on the wings which gives us that flexibility too. Isak seems to be able to play across the forward line going off what Wilson said on his podcast a while back. 

Left back is another area we will probably want to look to improve soon, Burn does well there but if we had a player who could also be a threat in attack like Trippier there we’d be adding another problem for opponents to deal with. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

According to the Beeb gossip page we're allowing Lascelles, Lewis, Ritchie and Fraser to leave this window. 

Lewis, Ritchie and Fraser I agree with but if Lascelles goes do we have enough cover at the back? 

Burn, Botman, Schar and one other brought in perhaps? The rest all make sense, we don't really need them, ritchie has hardly played, fraser is back of the queue in an area we're looking to make stronger.

Lewis should have been better than he is, I feel sorry for the lad that the most important phase of his career development as a top level pro was spent under Steve Bruce, if he was 2 or 3 years younger right now he'd have a real chance to develop under howe

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Howay said:

I saw him as the Willock replacement, and then get a DM to replace Longstaff/Shelvey. Maddison is also capable of playing on the wings which gives us that flexibility too. Isak seems to be able to play across the forward line going off what Wilson said on his podcast a while back. 

Left back is another area we will probably want to look to improve soon, Burn does well there but if we had a player who could also be a threat in attack like Trippier there we’d be adding another problem for opponents to deal with. 

Maddison’s versatility is a massive bonus. Ideally you want him in the middle just behind Wilson but you could see him replacing Willock in Howe’s 4-3-3 system. Imagine Bruno and Maddison either side of a new worlds class holding midfielder. And he could easily do a job out wide too when called upon. 

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season