Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

22 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

It would be hilarious if it didn’t happen and he was stuck there.

Especially if we pivoted to some 18yr old foreigner who costs us half as much, turns out twice as good and Gordon ends up going to Burnley to help them stay up next season.

For the first time since the new owners took over I’m not as confident of the supposed :quotes: direction of travel :quotes: as I’d like to be.

In no sane universe should we be even thinking of letting Maxi go.

He is a potential game changer and he is easily good enough for where we are right now.

Letting Wood go without a replacement is also very strange. Especially with Wilson firing blanks.

1 minute ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

For the first time since the new owners took over I’m not as confident of the supposed :quotes: direction of travel :quotes: as I’d like to be.

He is a potential game changer and he is easily good enough for where we are right now.

Letting Wood go without a replacement is also very strange. Especially with Wilson firing blanks.

Jesus Christ, just because @Dr Gloom is no longer Captain of the H.M.S. Pissypants, that doesn't mean anybody else has to take the helm.

I'm 99% sure the the ASM rumours are horseshit, Wood going for £20m if he achieves his very achievable targets, is very good business. 

We're just starting off, lets not get frantic just because we're not signing Brunos every window, eh?

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Letting Wood go isn’t strange at all. He’s looked abysmal recently and a move suits all parties. Even on top form he would be a stop gap. If an offer comes in you have to consider it as you might not get a similar one down the road. Re: the rest I’ll make a judgement at the end of the window. Obviously in a perfect world we replace Wood with better but there’s no point in buying another stop gap. We’re nowhere near as desperate as we were 12 months ago and the last thing you want is another player who isn’t good enough to hamper us in the summer re: FFP. The other difference to 12 months ago is wages currently being close to 100% of turnover which is another big consideration. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i smell mackem 

If not a mackem then a total fucking idiot, although not much difference I suppose. He's literally talking about the guy brought Caicedo, Mac Allister etc to Brighton for relative peanuts. My guess is that if we're not reinforcing in the defensive mid role this window then we've got our ideal candidate lined up for the summer and can't get him now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Why do you take notice of things like this that are clearly, CLEARLY, designed to wind you up?

Good point, he doesn't need any help in that department.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Where’s this crack about Maxi leaving coming from? If someone says fucking Italian papers, I’m dishing out jaw looseners

Sky Sports Italia ran a story on it. 

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/newcastle-united-news/newcastle-united-anthony-gordon-sky-sports-transfer-rumours/

Sky Sports are saying they've heard we've reached a compromise on the fee for Gordon, although it hasn't been totally confirmed as of yet. Makes sense that things are moving with Dyche  in place. 

Edited by Polarboy

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

£45m is punchy. More than we paid for Bruno

Four years younger and PL, British tax. Sounds like part of the fee will be performance dependent so it would be interesting to know what those performance goals are. In fairness though the risk attached to both transfers are comparable in my view. Bruno was obviously thought of as a talent and a prospect, but so was Paqueta at West Ham, and we've been fortunate that Bruno has settled so quickly coming from the French league. Well I say fortunate but I'm sure Howe has had a big hand in it. Gordon on the other hand has performed sporadically in the PL already but the question is whether he'll achieve his potential. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

He must have gone to training today to say TA-RA to the lads

He's just went back to collect some stuff.

masked-man-breaking-into-car-with-crowba

• Haha 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season