Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m probably Guilty of Being a sentimental middle aged, Nike air max 97 wearing mid life crisis wanker but I choked up a bit seeing JonJo in the team photo

guilty on all counts GIF by Oxygen

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Sitting third in the league with a multitude of draws. The midfield appears to be barren, with only Bruno providing the necessary creative spark. However, if we are able to maintain our position within the European spots, we have the potential to experience a tremendous surge in our progress.

What did we need? Another player who can complement Bruno's efforts in the midfield

What do we get? A headless chook that runs a lot we overspend on in a position we're already well covered in.

Transfer window has been an

ABSOLUTE DISASTER 

We’ve transformed the entire club and team in the space of a year :lol: 

• Like 1

We did the right thing, the deals weren’t there so we didn’t overstretch for lesser targets. Getting rid of Shelvey is a no brainer, I know Glooms view on him but my personal opinion is he’s absolutely no miss whatsoever so I think we’ve done phenomenal business getting shot of him for what we did, plus the bloke is a cunt (Jonjo not Gloom 😉).

Maybe we could have made our top 4 challenge stronger, but at the same time I fancy our chances even with the current CM especially with Gordon coming in meaning J7 can drop to CM as and when needed. We will have a lot more firepower in the second half of the season with Isak and Gordon, having those two in will also stop Almiron getting the coverage he’s received recently. I don’t think Connor Gallagher was the separator between us getting Top 4 or not tbh. 

• Like 5

When can we start signing players on pre contracts? I reckon the club will be looking at long term targets on expiring deals and wanting to get those sorted as soon as possible. 

6 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Sitting third in the league with a multitude of draws. The midfield appears to be barren, with only Bruno providing the necessary creative spark. However, if we are able to maintain our position within the European spots, we have the potential to experience a tremendous surge in our progress.

What did we need? Another player who can complement Bruno's efforts in the midfield

What do we get? A headless chook that runs a lot we overspend on in a position we're already well covered in.

ABSOLUTE DISASTER 

jeez, I thought I was being negative

about this window. 

I think we’re a player light in midfield so it could have been better but Gordon could make you eat your words. I’m not convinced he’s worth £45m but if Eddie and Ashworth think he is, it’s good enough for me 

This lad and his rancid patter (in general) reeks of mackem like. In fact I’d rather he was because it’s fucking embarrassing if he’s actually a Newcastle fan 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

This lad and his rancid patter (in general) reeks of mackem like. In fact I’d rather he was because it’s fucking embarrassing if he’s actually a Newcastle fan 

Aye, there's definitely a wiff of pomme frites du fromage about this guy. 

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

ABSOLUTE DISASTER 

FlEJW-RX0AAQMWS.jpeg

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Don't know how accurate it is but seen someone say that we'd be fucked for a few transfer windows to come if we overspend in this financial year. I know it's been said but it boggles the mind how Chelsea are managing it, even if their commercial revenue currently dwarfs our own. I know it seems like they're doing it by spreading things over long contracts and structured payments, but the question is why couldn't we have done the same for at least one player. Hopefully by this time next year we'll have the new sponsorship, shirt deals money rolling in and we'll be in a much better position. 

That only works if a player you actually want is available and wants to come, I'm all for waiting for a player who ticks all the boxes rather than getting one earlier who ticks some of them.

This whole "what if Bruno/Joe gets injured" talk was mad anyway, if they did no matter who we signed would be a drop off from them, we're nowhere near having equivalent quality back-ups for our major players, yet. There'll be a drop off irrespective, but that would be the case whether we'd signed someone or not. (and yes I know we'll find out how much of a drop off over next 3 games - but we wouldn't/couldn't have signed another Bruno).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

Was thinking same myself. STINKS of mackem.

Edit, the posting style actually reminds me of an ex-Skunker, Vinnie aka The Lion of Gosforth aka fat ginger mess (copyright HGB). Mag who posted shite like that all the time.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just because I'm talking a little negative, doesn't mean I've joined the mackem club.

For instance, the summer business has been exceptional and I am thrilled with our current progress and the direction we are heading.

However, I do not believe that I should simply put on a façade and remain silent about any issues or concerns. I find it perplexing that some people believe we cannot offer criticism or provide our opinion on players we bring in.

The lack of upgrades in midfield is a massive opportunity for the Geordie Maradona. He’ll get a lot more game time in the second half of the season than he was probably expecting. I wouldn’t be surprised if he rises to the challenge as he plays more minutes  

That’s fine, if you were being reasonable and making constructive criticism. Rather than arguing this window has been disastrous. Or insisting a player who’s contributed next to fuck all should be starting in a side that’s got to a cup final and to 3rd in the league mostly without him. Fair enough though, you could just be clueless 👍🏻

• Haha 5
  • Jaysus... 1

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

That’s fine, if you were being reasonable and making constructive criticism. Rather than arguing this window has been disastrous. Or insisting a player who’s contributed next to fuck all should be starting in a side that’s got to a cup final and to 3rd in the league mostly without him. Fair enough though, you could just be clueless 👍🏻

Bit harsh on Gloomy 

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

The Room GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

Our business is in improving oir squad through buying who we want, not just who we can. The last who we can signings came last season. Botman, Isak, Gordon and Ashby are all players who we have tracked over multiple windows drawing the interest of the players and completing the purchases without being held to ransom. The next player in the same category is Maddison and we no doubt have plans to complete that signing in the summer. If we qualify for the champions league there will be a requirement to bring in more players so an influx of future funding will.move forward other signings.

It's not hyperbole, it is genuinely difficult to sign quality players in January because clubs do not want to lose good players mid-season.

• Like 4

I think before the window I said that for me Striker, backup Rightback and DM were priorities. 

We've signed a wide forward/midfielder and a back up rightback. 

I'm pretty happy about that, sure it would have been great to sign some exciting young talent from Brazil, or grabbing Maddison off Leicester. But I trust the people running the club. Bruno missing 3 games is rough, but with Longstaff, Joelinton, Joe Willock, Anderson, we have 4 central mids, and we've been pushing a central midfielder out onto the left wing for the recent games. 

Longstaff will drop deeper, Joelinton and Willock will play in front of him. Gordon/ASM on the left, Almiron/Isak on the right, Wilson/Isak up front. 

Gordon is relentless in the press so will add balance to our attack,  Ashby looks a real prospect at rightback so we can give Trippier a bit of a rest during games too. 

I'd say B-

• Like 5

The more I think about it the more I think the Gordon signing is a great one.

Balances up the two flanks nicely, that bit of pace will help out Burns major weakness which is his lack of pace. Also with his high work rate, press and good dribbling it stretches their defence so less likely Miggy is going to be doubled up on and give him more space.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Gordon is relentless in the press so will add balance to our attack,  Ashby looks a real prospect at rightback so we can give Trippier a bit of a rest during games too. 

I'd say xG

FYP

12 minutes ago, RobElliott said:

The more I think about it the more I think the Gordon signing is a great one.

Balances up the two flanks nicely, that bit of pace will help out Burns major weakness which is his lack of pace. Also with his high work rate, press and good dribbling it stretches their defence so less likely Miggy is going to be doubled up on and give him more space.

Yep. He was the only player that looked dangerous when we played Everton last season. The fact that he managed to do so in such a gutless, pedestrian side speaks volumes.

He's an ambitious, confident player with an engine and one thing you can't train - pure speed. He'll fit straight into our style of play and will give some balance to our attack.

The other thing about watching him previously was that I really didn't like him, which is a sure sign that there's some quality about him.

He'll be shithousing for us from this point forth, can you imagine how annoying that face is going to be for other teams and their supporters as we overwhelm them with our pressing and beat them.

Snl Smile GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by OTF
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Be interested to see if Gordon or ASM gets the LW spot in the next game. And surely Isak has to start? 

Think Isak misses through concussion protocol.

ASM may just get the nod due to him knowing our system.  He knows what Eddie wants him to do, just doesn't do it as he's a lazy cunt. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season