Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

£60m + whatever we get from selling our existing stock.

The 60m still just seems so low to me, given the high numbers all the “football finance” crew threw around in January. There was also a 20m payment into the club that was some kind of FFP loophole (can put 60m in that way over a 3 year period without it counting against FFP iirc), so that would mean ignoring that workaround under FFP we’d only have 40m available to spend? Just seems so low compared to the way others spend, including newly promoted sides. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Howay said:

The 60m still just seems so low to me, given the high numbers all the “football finance” crew threw around in January. There was also a 20m payment into the club that was some kind of FFP loophole (can put 60m in that way over a 3 year period without it counting against FFP iirc), so that would mean ignoring that workaround under FFP we’d only have 40m available to spend? Just seems so low compared to the way others spend, including newly promoted sides. 

We definitely need a striker and someone who'll get 1 in 3 (ish) will set you back the majority of the reported £60m budget.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we spend comfortably more than £60m and that figure is simply being used to obfuscate our real limit. Like you say, in terms of FFP we've an enormous amount of wiggle room, we've also got sufficient saleable assets on the books that we could raise not insignificant funds that way too. But if we publicly claim anything but prudence we'll be bent over a barrel at every negotiation. Stating £60m is our budget, within and without the club, makes business sense. 

Nunez becomes available towards the end of the window for £50-60m and is keen, I'm convinced we'd stump up the cash but  still have strengthened the other areas. It'll be passed off as an "unmissable opportunity" and "Not part of our plans initially", but something we had to do. However, if our first signing in the Summer window is Nunez for £60m, other clubs would sharp slap another couple of zeroes on their 23yr old reserve team left back.

On the saleable assets side of things, realistically everyone but the January signings are available, right?

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Nunez becomes available towards the end of the window for £50-60m and is keen, I'm convinced we'd stump up the cash but  still have strengthened the other areas. It'll be passed off as an "unmissable opportunity" and "Not part of our plans initially", but something we had to do. However, if our first signing in the Summer window is Nunez for £60m, other clubs would sharp slap another couple of zeroes on their 23yr old reserve team left back.

We've absolutely proven in January that we are willing to spend money without having our pants taken down.

We need to do our transfer business early and in particular we need to make some impressive signings in order to convince other high calibre players that we're a serious project, just as we did with the Trippier signing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We definitely need a striker and someone who'll get 1 in 3 (ish) will set you back the majority of the reported £60m budget.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we spend comfortably more than £60m and that figure is simply being used to obfuscate our real limit. Like you say, in terms of FFP we've an enormous amount of wiggle room, we've also got sufficient saleable assets on the books that we could raise not insignificant funds that way too. But if we publicly claim anything but prudence we'll be bent over a barrel at every negotiation. Stating £60m is our budget, within and without the club, makes business sense. 

On the saleable assets side of things, realistically everyone but the January signings are available, right?

Fully agree. That was my feelings towards the £60m noted, I think Staveleys comments kind of bit them on the arse during the January window and they struggled to agree sensible fees. 

I think an early move for someone like Tarkowski on a free would be good, it helps to keep some of these demands low (at first anyway as like you say once we pay a high fee it’s hard to lower that demand), it also strengthens our depth in that position. 

I agree about selling anyone as well. I keep seeing people dream up orders of “I wouldn’t sell him before this bloke was sold” but it doesn’t really work like that, if we can get a good fee for a player that we know we can improve on for similar then we do it. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ewerk said:

We've absolutely proven in January that we are willing to spend money without having our pants taken down.

We need to do our transfer business early and in particular we need to make some impressive signings in order to convince other high calibre players that we're a serious project, just as we did with the Trippier signing.

Imagine the absolute meltdown if we went and spent a fucking fortune on 3-4 players of the Tripper/Bruno level early in the window :lol:.

You’d have a special about it with Merson wearing his wonky glasses going: “I jast fink it’s a disgwayce Jeff, ow can they allow noocarsell to spend that much? If noocasell spend that then the Villa should be spending twice that”

FA910B43-A308-4B67-948E-8B0F6D520107.jpeg

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 8

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You're right, Trippier was perfect. Higher caliber player for a weak position at a reasonable price. I think he and Bruno (plus our subsequent form) will undoubtedly attract higher caliber players. I'm just pessimistic about the likelihood of repeating that. 

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Imagine the absolute meltdown if we went and spent a fucking fortune on 3-4 players of the Tripper/Bruno level early in the window :lol:.

You’d have a special about it with Merson wearing his wonky glasses going: “I jast fink it’s a disgwayce Jeff, ow can they allow noocarsell to spend that much? If noocasell spend that then the Villa should be spending twice that”

FA910B43-A308-4B67-948E-8B0F6D520107.jpeg

:lol: I thought Merson had actually posted for a second.

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

According to RedCafe they also have a summer budget of £200m 

No CL football next season and very little in the way of big money assets. Where the fuck are they getting £200m from?

19 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Maguire :lol: 

Based on his performances this season I'd rather have Steven Taylor back tbh. 

Steady 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

The Red Cafe seems to think that Newcastle would be interested in buying Harry Maguire. They figure that  Newcastle are the only club who can afford him.

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Lingard on a free should be a no brainier. Better than Fraser/Almiron/Murphy wide in a front 3 and can add a goal threat. 

Nketiah on a free would be a perfect Gayle replacement too 

I’d sign both of them just to piss them off for refusing to do deals in the wintwr

I think the lingard ship might have sailed. Also think we could potentially aim higher now than in january. Not that he isn’t an upgrade on what we have. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think the lingard ship might have sailed. Also think we could potentially aim higher now than in january. Not that he isn’t an upgrade on what we have. 

Of course, we should aim higher but still sign those two for free to piss off those teams who thought they could exploit us. Ideally we sell those two back to them for decent money.

Lingard is exactly the type of signing we should avoid imo. Think he is coming up 31, never been a regular starter apart from that one season at West Ham and he would also cost a fortune in wages despite nobody being sure if he actually worth it.

Bruno is the archetype of what we should be targeting, young, something to prove with good technical ability and who wants to be at Newcastle United.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Lingard on a free should be a no brainier. Better than Fraser/Almiron/Murphy wide in a front 3 and can add a goal threat. 

Nketiah on a free would be a perfect Gayle replacement too 

Nketiah yes but I'm not sure about Lingard. I think his best before date has gone over. 

Don't want Nketiah, his league record is shite and we need a first choice striker not a third, Wilson/Wood are our Gayle replacements behind a proper signing.

Lingards only 29, he has got a couple of good years left in him but I feel like that ship has sailed, he'd be free sure but he would then be on massive wages just as hes about to decline.

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season