Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

19 years old left back playing regularly in Serie A....Matt Targett is 26, virtually at his peak...if we assume Targett will be signed permnently this summer then bringing in a young lad for competition  is a good move tbf...

27 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

19 years old left back playing regularly in Serie A....Matt Targett is 26, virtually at his peak...if we assume Targett will be signed permnently this summer then bringing in a young lad for competition  is a good move tbf...

I'm not writing the lad off, I'm just saying that, some of the key stats for a fullback who's playing regularly in a top division are... uninspiring.

Progressive carries or passes are below average or... shocking

Tackles, interceptions are poor.

xA and Shot creating actions aren't great either. 

Hard to see, from stats alone, exactly why he's highly regarded. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’m going to assume our scouts have actually watched him with their own eyes, like.

Yeah but have they looked at his xA? Eh?

You also have to weigh up the side he’s playing for, his age relative to what you’d expect from your first choice left back, any potential year-on-year improvements, scout reports from his international performances and just generally watching the way he operates in a back four, his character etc. Not Fish though, writing him off before his career has even began because his lines aren’t green

31 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm not writing the lad off, I'm just saying that, some of the key stats for a fullback who's playing regularly in a top division are... uninspiring.

10uct1aSFT7QiY (2).gif

• Haha 2

To be able to derive any value from the assessment of his stats we'd need to compare him with other 19 year old fullbacks tbf. In fact, probably also the stats of players who 'made it' but from when they were 19.

We'd also have to somehow control for the leagues they played in, maybe a weighted scoring system that factored in overall strength of those stats across players and fullbacks in general in Serie A. Probably also applying similar mechanism for assessing the statistical strengths (with weighting) of the players he's gone up against and his colleagues in defence. - may even want a match by match assessment in there as well (if an opposition team isn't targeting 'his side' he'll have a quieter game in general, defensively, etc).

This started off as poking fun but now I actually think it sounds enjoyable. Something is wrong with me.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I also enjoy not reading a post properly and leaping to a conclusion with hilarious consequences.

Dave, you wrote the lad off then said you weren't writing him off. 

Mods: can we change Dave's ID to "Forum Gaslighter"?  🤔

Because you boys are so mean, I had a quick google for scouting reports on Hickey and they seem to say similar to me; he looks like he's got some talent, but he's nowhere near the finished article and there are questions marks over his creativity, low progressive passes, defensive actions and so on.

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Dave, you wrote the lad off then said you weren't writing him off. 

Mods: can we change Dave's ID to "Forum Gaslighter"?  🤔

Where did I 'write him off' you plum?

Not being blown away, isn't the same as saying he'll never blow me away.

Edited by The Fish

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Probably because stats alone are worth the square root of feck all.

He's 19.

This young player's stats don't blow me away

OMG HOW CAN YOU SAY HE'S THE WORST PLAYER EVA. HICKEY ARMY UNITE!! FUCK STATS! ONLY THIS VAGUE TRANSFER RUMOUR SAYING HE'S MINT CAN BE RELIED UPON!

Will Smith Smh GIF by The Academy Awards

Children.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season