Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

"The coach has a well-defined idea of what he needs for his team. If I had to choose, it would be the heart that would speak. I would most certainly want my friends to join the club. I’m thinking for example of Ludovic Blas," Saint-Maximin told Goal.

"I really like the person and what he also does at Nantes. He’s scored a lot of goals. He’s an essential element at Nantes. I know that Bruno is very fond of Paqueta.”

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/allan-saint-maximin-wants-french-23906960

:lol: I know someone had mentioned they thought ASMs nose was put out of joint with all the attention Bruno has been getting, while I wasn’t sure about it that comment honestly seems to lean that way a little to me. 

I’d also definitely lean in favor of Bruno’s opinion on players to bring in, wasn’t the last of ASM’s mates we got that part time Aussie brickie that Bruce allowed to join the reserves? :lol:

• Haha 4

On 5/5/2022 at 6:41 PM, Dr Gloom said:

dummet gets a one year extenson - makes sense to give him a short-term deal

And next year he will sign another again.

You need Academy players to complete the list for Champions League😇

• Haha 1

Ludovic Blas could be a good player. In my opinion, if Paqueta is in his top level, he is better than Blas. 

But I have some doubts with Paqueta. He is very good in Lyon, but he was failed in Milan. 

Bruno and him are best friends and Paqueta have been in St Mary Stadium this year watching Newcastle againts Soton.

5 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

"The coach has a well-defined idea of what he needs for his team. If I had to choose, it would be the heart that would speak. I would most certainly want my friends to join the club. I’m thinking for example of Ludovic Blas," Saint-Maximin told Goal.

"I really like the person and what he also does at Nantes. He’s scored a lot of goals. He’s an essential element at Nantes. I know that Bruno is very fond of Paqueta.”

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/allan-saint-maximin-wants-french-23906960

'I want me friends to come and play games with me' Why? Because nasty wasty Jonjo takes the piss out of you?  Fanny

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: I know someone had mentioned they thought ASMs nose was put out of joint with all the attention Bruno has been getting, while I wasn’t sure about it that comment honestly seems to lean that way a little to me. 

I’d also definitely lean in favor of Bruno’s opinion on players to bring in, wasn’t the last of ASM’s mates we got that part time Aussie brickie that Bruce allowed to join the reserves? :lol:

Aye I said that.  He wants to be centre of attention and the main man.  Fair do.  But that doesn't come with just turning up.  He hasn't show one reason why I would keep him next season.

• Like 1

Howe is willing to sell at least 10 players according to The Sun, including Saint-Maximin, Almiron and Lascelles. Flogging ASM and Almiron and replacing them with Lingard and Sarr (to pick him somewhat out of a hat) lands you 10 more goals a season easily, whether it through them directly or assists, I reckon.

Big fan of ruthless Eddie Howe tbh. Putting Lascelles in against Man City so he has an excuse for selling him because it went tits up

• Like 3

TBH We need ruthless.  We can't be nostalgic with the legacy squad.  Let's be honest, it's been 5 years since we won the Championship.  The majority should have been moved on years ago. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Howe is willing to sell at least 10 players according to The Sun, including Saint-Maximin, Almiron and Lascelles. Flogging ASM and Almiron and replacing them with Lingard and Sarr (to pick him somewhat out of a hat) lands you 10 more goals a season easily, whether it through them directly or assists, I reckon.

Big fan of ruthless Eddie Howe tbh. Putting Lascelles in against Man City so he has an excuse for selling him because it went tits up

I agree with Lascelles. I mean... The man is more a problem than a solution. He is the captain... He is playing last weeks when he doesn't deserve because Schar and Burn are better than him. 

But he has some special power in the team because he is the captain. He has a contract in that probably is write he has to play is he is fit... 

And in the other side, is a man with some behaviour problems. Diame, Willock, Hayden... The man has in some fights with some teamates. 

If we could get north of 40m for ASM I'd drive him myself. Assuming all this having to play within FFP pragmatism, selling to buy craic isn't just us trying to dampen expectations and not get ripped off, then ASM as our most saleable asset can go. He was right in that he'd likely have a few more assists if Wood wasn't so shite, but even with Wilson in the side he's not a player that the top six would be falling over themselves to buy, and I don't think he ever will be. There's only so many times a coach can tell a player to get his head up, and try to coach them into making better decisions in terms when to release the ball and when to drive into the box. His attitude is also suspect despite his undoubted talent at social media and bringing the fans onside. Players like Lingard and Sarr would almost certainly have much more end product. Paqueta and others without PL experience of course are a bit more of a gamble. Even Fraser could be moved permanently to the left for next season, given how well he performed out there for us in ASM's absence earlier this season.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I agree with Lascelles. I mean... The man is more a problem than a solution. He is the captain... He is playing last weeks when he doesn't deserve because Schar and Burn are better than him. 

But he has some special power in the team because he is the captain. He has a contract in that probably is write he has to play is he is fit... 

And in the other side, is a man with some behaviour problems. Diame, Willock, Hayden... The man has in some fights with some teamates. 

Lascelles only played as Schar was hurt iirc. I think Howe really doesn’t rate Lascelles, I honestly think the first move we make will be to get Tarkowski on a free and try to sell Lascelles. 

• Like 1

If Lascelles is starting for us and captain next season then we have serious problems.

The bloke is well past his allotted Ashley governed timeslot.

Edited by Dougle
  • Like 3

I’m personally pretty convinced the £60m chat is a tactic to deflate the market. I just cannot see how it would be that low an amount for us, we were actively trying to spend around £100m more in January right up to the end so why would we now be restricted so heavily?

It also just doesn’t mesh with the players I know for a fact we are scouting. Why are we scouting the players we are if we’re targeting 4-6 players in but have £60m to spend (both per Edwards)? That would only be about Matty Targett money per player for 4 players, or 20m per player if we somehow sold 40m of players - none of the players we’ve spent months scouting would cost as little as that. 

16 minutes ago, Howay said:

I’m personally pretty convinced the £60m chat is a tactic to deflate the market. I just cannot see how it would be that low an amount for us, we were actively trying to spend around £100m more in January right up to the end so why would we now be restricted so heavily?

It also just doesn’t mesh with the players I know for a fact we are scouting. Why are we scouting the players we are if we’re targeting 4-6 players in but have £60m to spend (both per Edwards)? That would only be about Matty Targett money per player for 4 players, or 20m per player if we somehow sold 40m of players - none of the players we’ve spent months scouting would cost as little as that. 

Edwards had softened his projection to £60-80m ( a leap of 33% by the way) so lets say £75m,

plus say £20m from player sales - £95m,

then a commercial deal or two swells our FFP envelope to £100m.

If we signed Tarkowski, Grillitsch+ Nketiah, we'd have dramatically improved our 1st team and kept our powder dry for a big expense. Conversely if we spend £70m ona  few players to improve our first team and suddenly Darwin Nunez becomes available to us for £60m I'd expect us to stretch the 'budget' and sign him too. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Interesting to know the Gabriel Jesus movement.

I'd imagine that Pep will want to keep Jesus regardless of them signing Haaland. Then again it is a world cup year, so Jesus might be motivated to find a new club and not be Haaland's understudy. Of course it could be the case that Mahrez gets moved on in the summer and Jesus is given his slot on the right. Pep did say that he see's Jesus as more of forward than someone who can lead the line as a centre forward. Or maybe it was Jesus that said that about himself. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season