Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

16 minutes ago, Craig said:

I think 5-6 is probably on the high side. I'm thinking 4-5 at most. I expect some will be retained who a lot might expect them to be released too. This is definitely a gradual project.

DIRECT ATTACK ON WYKIKI AGAIN. 

Do you get an alert when he posts?! 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Craig said:

I think 5-6 is probably on the high side. I'm thinking 4-5 at most. I expect some will be retained who a lot might expect them to be released too. This is definitely a gradual project.

"5 is a bit excessive, I think it might be 5" :lol: 

(safety ;) )

• Haha 12

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

DIRECT ATTACK ON WYKIKI AGAIN. 

Do you get an alert when he posts?! 

Fuck me, here comes Terry McCann :lol:

• Haha 5

I feel the often mentioning of it leans to it being trying to deflate expectations in the market a bit. I think they talked a big game when they first arrived and the market responded by charging a huge premium, so this is likely an attempt to calm that down.

They want to spread payments, we saw that coming up time and again in January so I think this is a move so they can point to these quotes in negotiations and blame FFP for why they have to pay x up front with the rest coming through longer term clauses. 

The reality is we need a big overhaul, we can all go on like Howe can get performances out of Sean Longstaff but is that fair to Howe? He’s done an incredible job with the squad he has I really don’t see how it’s a fair and reasonable thing to turn around to him and say he has to keep starting Ryan Fraser up top for another season, especially when I’m really skeptical of FFP limits in general (see Everton who were supposedly crippled by FFP having absolutely no issue spending 30m on Alli plus bringing on the wages of that random Dutch bloke).

• Like 2

I mean tbh I feel like they've been lowering expectations from the start anyway - yes there was talk of winning things but it was very much pitched as a 10 year project as far as winning the league goes. I actually don't think it would take that long if we spent well (assuming City and Liverpool current generations slide into decline together) but they've not said at any point that they were going to throw money around as far as I can recall?

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I mean tbh I feel like they've been lowering expectations from the start anyway - yes there was talk of winning things but it was very much pitched as a 10 year project as far as winning the league goes. I actually don't think it would take that long if we spent well (assuming City and Liverpool current generations slide into decline together) but they've not said at any point that they were going to throw money around as far as I can recall?

You don’t need to explicitly say it though, if this type of takeover happened anywhere else and the new owners come in saying they aim to be competing right at the top and want to play for titles and CL football. I don’t think that’s lowering expectations regardless of a timeline given, all anyone hears is a Man City/PSG takeover has happened and their aims are exactly where everyone expects which equals there’s tons of money available. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Howay said:

Goals, Assists, Goals less Penalties, xG and xA per 90 minutes

image.png.5b5bc73901e8a30668b49a2b9fced989.png

Tackles, Tackles won, Tackles attempted in Def, Mid and Attacking 3rds, Blocks, Interceptions and Clearances per 90

image.png.0288d3500fa6d9adabe4140c02754062.png

Pressures attempted, Successful Pressures, and where the pressures were attempted per 90

image.png.ffcb53d06ab43a9882f45039a1331dae.png

Total yards ball carried and yds progressed per 90

image.png.ca6150739c370ed42a504e64df454c76.png 

Dribbles attempted and succeeded, number of players dribbled past(#Pl) and number of nutmegs per 90

image.png.199b94f010977f2e4da61a1fef746c47.png

All data from FBRef

image.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i know he's highly-rated but does anyone know what his distribution is like - is it a big improvement on dubravka's?

image.thumb.png.cd4d31b396a11b0b3b6d8089a8bb49df.png

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Goals, Assists, Goals less Penalties, xG and xA per 90 minutes

image.png.5b5bc73901e8a30668b49a2b9fced989.png

Tackles, Tackles won, Tackles attempted in Def, Mid and Attacking 3rds, Blocks, Interceptions and Clearances per 90

image.png.0288d3500fa6d9adabe4140c02754062.png

Pressures attempted, Successful Pressures, and where the pressures were attempted per 90

image.png.ffcb53d06ab43a9882f45039a1331dae.png

Total yards ball carried and yds progressed per 90

image.png.ca6150739c370ed42a504e64df454c76.png 

Dribbles attempted and succeeded, number of players dribbled past(#Pl) and number of nutmegs per 90

image.png.199b94f010977f2e4da61a1fef746c47.png

All data from FBRef

image.png

so pretty much better than ASM by every metric other than dribbles

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

image.png.f824e53eedf2dcdfda988b8dc8618ae6.png

Howay Gloomy man, it's all pretty straight forward. Per 90 how many passes are completed, attempted, %, distance of passes. Then broken down into short medium and long range passing. 

The final box is pretty pointless, but it's; assists, xA, xA less actual assists, Key Passes, passes into final 3rd, passes into penalty area, crosses and progressive passes (disregards passes from defensive 3rd)

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

so pretty much better than ASM by every metric other than dribbles

Yep. However his expected assist return (0.17) isn't massively better than ASM's (0.2). Now, that could be because of the way Lyon play, the way ASM was played under Bruce (freedom of the pitch), the caliber of striker ASM has had to endure this season, etc.

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Howay Gloomy man, it's all pretty straight forward. Per 90 how many passes are completed, attempted, %, distance of passes. Then broken down into short medium and long range passing. 

The final box is pretty pointless, but it's; assists, xA, xA less actual assists, Key Passes, passes into final 3rd, passes into penalty area, crosses and progressive passes (disregards passes from defensive 3rd)

right, ok. so does henderson have better distribution than dubravka? 

• Thanks 1

Think you’ve got the expected assists flipped there, Paqueta creates more assist opportunities. It’s not a huge difference but it’s also not as tiny as on first glance, it’s larger than the difference between Murphy and ASM. Paqueta is a bit deeper, but he’s in a weaker league. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

right, ok. so does henderson have better distribution than dubravka? 

Going off the recorded stats alone, it's nearly identical short and medium range, but Dubravka is better at long range. 

13 minutes ago, Howay said:

Think you’ve got the expected assists flipped there, Paqueta creates more assist opportunities. It’s not a huge difference but it’s also not as tiny as on first glance, it’s larger than the difference between Murphy and ASM. Paqueta is a bit deeper, but he’s in a weaker league. 

thats the thing, its a step up in terms of work rate etc. those numbers seem to point to him being a way better all round footballer than a pure dribbler. no real surprise. 

st max needs to change his game, but whether he will, i doubt it. 

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Going off the recorded stats alone, it's nearly identical short and medium range, but Dubravka is better at long range. 

So probably not a £40m upgrade on dubravka going on stats alone. If we’re shelling out big money on a keeper it’s got to be for one more comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Howay said:

Up there is "Expected Assists" per90 which Paqueta 'wins' (0.2 v ASM's 0.17)

Below is the shot and goal creating actions per 90. In that Paqueta regard does create more shot and goal opportunities, but as per above, ASM's been creating better quality final balls.

image.png.2be2196713011c08706e566eb9007ce5.png

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Isn't 5 players at £50 mill each, which sounds like £250 mill spend, but really is only £50Mill spend, if they were all on 5 year contracts, due to amortisation.

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So probably not a £40m upgrade on dubravka going on stats alone. If we’re shelling out big money on a keeper it’s got to be for one more comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

Dunno, stats don't show the whole picture. e.g. Henderson is a young 'keeper and hasn't played a lot. Sheffield United were anomalous and Man Utd are a basket case and have been for a while. But going off FBRef, he's not an upgrade, certainly not worth £40m!

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season