Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

10 hours ago, ewerk said:

Aye and if Brazil make it to the final then we’ll have basically lost half our first team for six weeks.

The premier league shuts down from the 12th November till 18th January next season….. 

If not currently being in Europe whilst trying to qualify for Europe is as big an advantage as they suggest (it's the main reason why Arsenal not qualifying for the CL is being portrayed as such a huge failure), then not being in Europe during a season already compressed by the WC has to be an even bigger advantage. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Odd. One can only assume we have someone even better lined up. Maybe that Brazilian lad we've been linked with? 

Aye I assume Villa's valuation of Targett has gone up and we can't afford two big priced LBs - we dropped a bollocks not securing an option at a fixed price if that's the case. Maybe Howe thinks he can work with Lewis if he gets his first choice in Lodi. 

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye I assume Villa's valuation of Targett has gone up and we can't afford two big priced LBs - we dropped a bollocks not securing an option at a fixed price if that's the case. Maybe Howe thinks he can work with Lewis if he gets his first choice in Lodi. 

I don't want to sound bad, but I see a lot of similarities between Lodi and Lewis. Lodi probably has more options to improve. And if you get it, it's great. But I don't know if he will make it.

Lodi doesn't quite convince me, and I've been watching him play three years in a row. (To be fair, in 2020 he had a great game against Salah and if that was always his level...)

He has played only because Atleti did not have another left back.

He is very, very fragile in defense, and you can see that he can be good in attack, but he is very hasty and doesn't think about his actions.

In fact, Simeone, in order not to put him, last year he had to change to a five-player defense and put Carrasco as Left Back.

The moments in which Lodi has played better this year have been practically playing in the middle on the left, and not in defense.

I think he has qualities, but that he is a somewhat limited player when it comes to learning and perhaps he will never end up exploiting. In fact, in 3 years, he has not improved. 

I don't know if anyone remembers the Copa América final between Argentina and Brazil. The match ended 1-0 with a goal from Di María, which easily entered Lodi's back thanks to a pass from De Paul.

Di María said in an interview that during all the days before the match, Ángel Correa (Atlético de Madrid) had told his teammates from Argentina that the best option to attack was to look for balls behind Lodi, who he trained. with Lodi every day and everyone knew that he was very bad defending.

On the other hand, Lodi is a boy who seems very simple. Humble. He is a good person. At Atleti, when he played 2-3 games in a row (vs Man United and Celta de Vigo) and the public chanted his name, he left the stadium crying. He looks like a very good person and I would love for him to end up triumphing. But he raises a lot of questions.

I think the ideal thing for Newcastle would be to stay with Targett and then try to sign a player who could have a future and progress if they don't trust Lewis more. Or Lodi, if he didn't cost as much as 40 million.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I wouldn't read into anything on social media tbh

I don't understand from where you get the nerve for this, mind. :lol:

• Haha 3

Interesting players. Different profiles.

Some experienced and trained to be starters like Tagliafico, Gaya, Bensebaini, Angeliño, Caio, Gunter or Bernat.

Other younger players who could give equal or better performance than Lodi from now on (and all cheaper) such as Borna Sosa, Mathias Oliveira, Ait Nouri, Wijndal and who would be nice to sign while we stay with Targett.

30 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The post she put is totally open to interpretation.

And you're forever lifting things from social media and reacting to them!

Fulham interested in Targett supposedly.........unless his bird is from London I cant see the attraction in joining them for instant relegation

5 minutes ago, Rosco said:

Fulham interested in Targett supposedly.........unless his bird is from London I cant see the attraction in joining them for instant relegation

I read this morning that he would ideally like to be closer to the south coast as that’s where his family is from.

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I read this morning that he would ideally like to be closer to the south coast as that’s where his family is from.

Ah well, if hugs off his mam trump his footballing ambitions, so be it. 

• Haha 4

I dunno. From the interview he did after the Arsenal game with NUFC TV to his bird’s Instagram post, you get the sense he wants to stay. Can’t help but feel that the club thinks we can get someone better. That might still be possible but Targett slotted in so perfectly, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get him now. 

51 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I dunno. From the interview he did after the Arsenal game with NUFC TV to his bird’s Instagram post, you get the sense he wants to stay. Can’t help but feel that the club thinks we can get someone better. That might still be possible but Targett slotted in so perfectly, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get him now. 

He's not going to your Everton Gloomy

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season