Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

If I had to take a stab at what we’re up to, I’d say we’ll clear the deck of the shite first and then get players in. Seems like Botman and Ekitike are cases of having to strike early to ward off competition but I could see us sorting Woodman and Darlow’s moves out and then going for Pope once the position has been freed up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

If I had to take a stab at what we’re up to, I’d say we’ll clear the deck of the shite first and then get players in. Seems like Botman and Ekitike are cases of having to strike early to ward off competition but I could see us sorting Woodman and Darlow’s moves out and then going for Pope once the position has been freed up.

Totally go with this. We could do with shifting on Gayle and the like. Which imo they will be. Gayle to someone like Burnley as a sweetener for Pope 

I think Kompany is going to get a nasty shock trying to galaxy brain the championship, unless this journalist is talking utter shite.

• Like 1

edwards reckons no new signings in before pre season starts.

pope to challenge dubravka sounds good. better price than what we were quoted for henderson too

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

edwards reckons no new signings in before pre season starts.

pope to challenge dubravka sounds good. better price than what we were quoted for henderson too

That's 11 days away is it? So maybe two by then if wine boy thinks that 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It's a myth anyway. There's not a keeper in the league incapable of playing a 10 yrs pass to his full backs

And they say the Premier League is fast paced…

• Haha 1

This isn't exactly unexpected and isn't necessarily a bad sign. What it shows is that the club are aiming for the upper end of their reach. They're not wasting their time on vanity signs who are coming for massive money but as stretching for the best players we can get. Sometimes that is going to mean those players waiting to see if there are CL clubs willing to come in for them and that should only be a vindication that we're targeting good players. We're unlikely to get too many just yet jumping at the chance to sign for us because we are essentially still a mid-table side but we aren't intent on filling our squad with mid-table quality players.

• Like 9

Agreed, if we can work to bring in say 3-4 Bruno/Trippier type signings, and then a couple more Pope/Targett/Burn type signings it’ll have been a brilliant window. Like you say those Bruno type signings are going to be dragged out as we are dealing with agents, clubs, and sometimes even the players themselves that know there’s a market for them - in the past we were often the only one in for a player (like Joselu for example). Ashworth is experienced and will know how long to spend on a target and when to give a final deadline before moving on. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

This isn't exactly unexpected and isn't necessarily a bad sign. What it shows is that the club are aiming for the upper end of their reach. They're not wasting their time on vanity signs who are coming for massive money but as stretching for the best players we can get. Sometimes that is going to mean those players waiting to see if there are CL clubs willing to come in for them and that should only be a vindication that we're targeting good players. We're unlikely to get too many just yet jumping at the chance to sign for us because we are essentially still a mid-table side but we aren't intent on filling our squad with mid-table quality players.

that sounds a sensible approach, hopefully proves to be the case and is later vindicated. it would also mean the stories linking us with the likes of hazard the younger and that man u reject defender are just agent talk.

i think this window will also be more difficult than january, where we were one of the few clubs throwing cash around. for all the talk of wanting to do business early and give new signings a full pre season etc, i wouldn't be surprised if a few go to the wire. this is the more competitive window where clubs want to do most of their business and like you say more reason for players to wait and consider their options before signing - plus there is more time for clubs and agents to try to extract as much as they can. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howay said:

Agreed, if we can work to bring in say 3-4 Bruno/Trippier type signings, 

I'm a blatent Trippier lover boy, but I'd say both of those aren't mid table team signings but can certainly get in a CL first 11.

Edited by scoobos
can;t popst enven 1 sentance without needing to edit.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season