Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

:lol: He’s just a troll tbh. He flat out doesn’t understand how FFP works so the numbers he was told don’t make sense to him, he thinks we’ve spent nearly 65m for FFP purposes already when in reality it’s a fraction of that. 

Take Villa as an example tbh, they’ve spent fucking loads and have done for years, they bring in less TV revenue and less sponsorship money all with a higher wage bill (especially now). Someone like Edwards would bring up selling Grealish but they’ve pissed far more than that up the wall. For example Kamara was ‘free’ to someone like Edwards but the total outlay is something like £85m with signing fees, agent fees, and wages. 

Edit:

There you go - to him we have spent £54m but that’s absolutely not how FFP works. He simply refuses to ever understand the thing even at the most basic level of how costs are across a contract not one lump amount.  

Tldr he’s a boring wum. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Howay said:

There’s no doubt he hears things from someone at the club, the Harrison link is true as Eddie Howe’s nephew has been championing him from when he joined the club, but when he comes out with stuff like “should be quiet” he’s just trying to get a rise out of people tbh. It’s not like people at the club are going to walk about going “ok we got Botman so maybe we will all rest for a few weeks before bothering signing others”, him and the other journalists are also getting far less information with Ashworth in. 

Aye, I totally read that as him not really knowing much so ‘should be quiet for a while’ is him hedging his bets. Because stuff isn’t leaking out and making deals for the right players takes time. So it might appear quiet for a bit. Like you say they aren’t going to have a month off now they’ve signed some key targets. He’s a fucking weapon like :lol: 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: 

I also love that the signing is absolutely fucking nothing like a Graham Carr signing aside from the player coming from Ligue Un. 

Not if you say Botman’s name in Alan Carr’s annoying voice.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Howay said:

Think it’s more Leeds probably not willing to sell and better players being available for the prices that would tempt them. 

I assumed he meant "let's do a quick swap out for a bag of sand. Miggy!" 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

so - who is the pick of this lot? 

DCL is the most proven obviously, but they all seem pretty tricky to pull off in their own ways. Everton will be looking for megabucks, Broja will also likely be overpriced, especially seeing as Chelsea are already down Lukaku, I think I'm right in saying that the owner of Sociedad has said Isak is off limits, but perhaps that's a different player I'm thinking of, and Scamacca would probably prefer to go to one of the big Italian teams as young Italians are wont to do. 

Newcastle have €35m bid rejected by Porto on Monday night - Report | NUFC blog – Newcastle United blog – NUFC Fixtures, News and Forum.

He only has one season in Europe, so Ashworth would really be trying to steal a march on everyone else in the major leagues with this, if we really are after this kid. It seems pretty risky to spend that sort of money on someone so relatively unknown, but then again Ashworth did want to buy Nunez for 20m before he went to Benfica, so his judgement should be respected. I think it has been said before that teams rarely buy South Americans after they pass 25 because they find it too difficult to adapt to European football otherwise. This kid was right on the border, so we'll see. Obviously Porto saw something that convinced them it was risk worth taking, and he did, if somewhat modestly, reward them with 6 goals and 6 assists across all competitions last season. He did only play 28 league games though. In any case I've see a few articles about this kid recently in relation to us, so there could be some legs in it. 

Edited by Polarboy

5 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Newcastle have €35m bid rejected by Porto on Monday night - Report | NUFC blog – Newcastle United blog – NUFC Fixtures, News and Forum.

He only has one season in Europe, so Ashworth would really be trying to steal a march on everyone else in the major leagues with this, if we really are after this kid. It seems pretty risky to spend that sort of money on someone so relatively unknown, but then again Ashworth did want to buy Nunez for 20m before he went to Benfica, so his judgement should be respected. I think it has been said before that teams rarely buy South Americans after they pass 25 because they find it too difficult to adapt to European football otherwise. This kid was right on the border, so we'll see. Obviously Porto saw something that convinced them it was risk worth taking, and he did, if somewhat modestly, reward them with 6 goals and 6 assists across all competitions last season. He did only play 28 league games though. In any case I've see a few articles about this kid recently in relation to us, so there could be some legs in it. 

It's bollocks man. Watch Eastenders instead, its less shit.

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season