Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye I think it's the right move for Jesus. He'll get more games at Arsenal and that's the singular name of the game in the run up to a World Cup. 

Plus he loves Playmobil head 

I would have been buzzing if we’d signed Jesus. Always thought he looked mint and couldn’t work out why Pep didn’t play him more.

Depay would be a superb option for us for where we are now. 

Depay, Tielemans, Diaby and Eriksen please 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Depay was terrible for Manure. May have just been a one off or a sign the league is too physical for him.

Its relative though. He'd be a big upgrade on Almiron/Murphy. Arguably the most important upgrade we need in the team (as long as Wilson stays fit) 

• Like 1

I liked Depay a lot at PSV, he failed in Manchester, but then he was the star of Lyon and at Barcelona he played very well (In the first round, he was the only thing that stood out). In addition, he is one of the most important players in the Netherlands.

I remember in his time at PSV, that he always talked too much about how good he was, that he was going to be the best in the world. It seemed somewhat self-centered.

Mourinho was the manager who sold him to Lyon, and a few months ago he said that he simply joined a top team without being ready for it. That he didn't understand that in a big club there was competition, and that he had childish attitudes when he wasn't playing.

He also said that, despite this, he was a great professional and that he was not a party player (which people thought and said he was).

After being a star and captain in Lyon, and a star in the Netherlands (and he is beginning to be one of the captains of the national team when Van Dijk is not playing), I don't see him going to a team like ours to fight for a position, if not to be a starter. And although he moves better down the left wing (like Saint-Maximin), I think an attack made up of Depay, Wilson and Saint Maximin would be very good.

In addition, in recent times he has played a lot as a center forward, so we would also have Wilson's replacement and we would definitely forget about Ekitike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Other reports say he's on £4.3mil a season/£82k pw...

If that's the case it's a very different story. I wouldn't have expected his wages to be that high at Barca. I doubt he's super keen to come back to the prem.

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Other reports say he's on £4.3mil a season/£82k pw...

It is because in Spain, normally, press inform about the salary in net values, not in gross. So sometimes the 'conversion' is not correct.

When Depay was in agreement with Barcelona, he signed to earn 14M euros per year, but later, when he joined to the club, he was to cut the salary to 10M euros per year because the financial situation of Barcelona.

So, in gross, he earns more or less 200.000 euros per week. More or less 175.000 pounds per week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

It is because in Spain, normally, press inform about the salary in net values, not in gross. So sometimes the 'conversion' is not correct.

When Depay was in agreement with Barcelona, he signed to earn 14M euros per year, but later, when he joined to the club, he was to cut the salary to 10M euros per year because the financial situation of Barcelona.

So, in gross, he earns more or less 200.000 euros per week. More or less 175.000 pounds per week.

Any inside knowledge or insight as to why he only signed for two seasons? I suspect probably as simple as his agent knowing it would speed up the time to his next slice of the pie (whether it be an extension or a move) and Barca being happy enough because there was no transfer fee.

No chance we are paying that for players. Apparently Trippier, Shelvey and Wood are our top earners on £90/100k pw. 

I know we we were desperate for a striker in January but Wood has been our biggest transfer misstep so far if that figure is true!

12 minutes ago, OTF said:

Any inside knowledge or insight as to why he only signed for two seasons? I suspect probably as simple as his agent knowing it would speed up the time to his next slice of the pie (whether it be an extension or a move) and Barca being happy enough because there was no transfer fee.

It was because the only reason Depay wanted to join Barcelona was because Koeman was the Coach. 

And in this moment, the future of Koeman was not clear to continue much more time in Barcelona.

Barcelona accepted these conditions because Depay had much better offers financially

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 1

Newcastle United: Journalist claims interest in Bayer Leverkusen winger | thisisfutbol.com

Can't remember if this was posted about Diaby or not. Supposedly we do have concrete interest, and Leverkusen would be willing to take 40m initially and then take add ons to take it closer to 60m over the long term. There's other reports saying that we're confident that we'll beat West Ham to both Broja and Lingard. Lingard seems less likely than Broja given he's supposedly asking for ridiculous wages, but maybe that's not the case. You would think that Lingard would be a back up to Diaby, given I can't see how you'd fit both in when they'd both want to be starting. Although I suppose Lingard is capable of playing on the right of a midfield three. With regard to Lingard I don't get the best vibes off him. Reading between the lines he seems to be part of the party boy crowd in the young English players, and likely wasn't helping the terrible team spirit at Man U last season. 

I read Lingards ask is 150k - 200k a week, I think we will be leaving him for Everton to sign tbh. 

If we could pull off Diaby and Broja, then sign Eriksen, Paqueta, or a solid 6 like Soumare we’d have had a fucking ridiculous window. 

• Like 2

Lingard’s done very little in about 4 years now with exception of that loan spell at West Ham. I still think he’s a good player who would improve the squad and the first team but definitely not one to break the wage structure over. 

• Like 3

Feels like the lingard ship sailed to me. He was a good option in January but Man U dicked us about and now there are better options available 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

What reason do you not see Harland hitting the ground running? He scored a hat-trick in 23 minutes on his dortmund debut.

I didn’t say I can’t see it, I said there’s no guarantee. Subtle difference

Newcastle transfer news: Magpies interested in loan deal for Chelsea striker Armando Broja | Transfer Centre News | Sky Sports

Sky Sports now running with the Broja story. Getting him on an initial loan would be very handy in terms of covering that position while freeing up funds for someone like Diaby. I'd imagine Chelsea would be more than happy to see another years development before making a final decision. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Chicken shagger woke up with a raging hangover 

Chi

Tielemans makes about £30k a week at Leicester. So he’s claiming that’s unrealistic amounts, unless Edwards is now claiming to have a level of insider knowledge into what Tielemans asks are and that those asks would be 4 times his salary or more, which he clearly doesn’t so I’d disregard everything he’s saying. Ben Jacobs is a leicester fan and that’s where his contacts are, he’s closer to this story than chicken nonce. 

Edwards is a country mile off nowadays with most his stuff. We aren’t going to blow our whole budget on defence when our major issue was in attack, he’s even said himself it makes no sense yet goes on like that’s what has happened :lol: 

I hope we sign Tielemans even more now than I previously did, just to prove this arrogant bloke even more wrong. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

He just enjoys pouring water on the latest rumours to be a killjoy.  

I find him to be getting very similar to the ITK accounts since Ashworth come in - as I think whatever line he had into what was going on has been cut or severely limited. It’s how he always ends those kind of tweets with “it’ll be difficult” or “it’s unlikely” then when the signing happens he comes out with the tedious “I said it was difficult which it proved to be but the experience they have now with Ashworth made it happen”. 

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season