Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

was he that impressive at Southampton? Genuine question. I haven’t got a clue but 6 goals doesn’t sound that impressive 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

was he that impressive at Southampton? Genuine question. I haven’t got a clue but 6 goals doesn’t sound that impressive 

I didn't catch much of Southampton myself, but numerous people in football have spoken very highly of his potential as a center forward given all his physical attributes. He's supposed to be very quick for someone of his size and strength, and very good technically. Plus as I was saying the other day if you look at his appearances he only started 22 games, the rest of his apps were 15 minutes or so here and there, and I've read Southampton fans saying that the number chances for their forwards really dried up second half of the season. So I think it's a case of if you can sand off the rough edges, there's very likely a top level striker in there. 

• Like 2

What’s the point in taking him on loan or Chelsea giving him to us on loan if he isn’t going to be starting? It would only make sense if we have a fee agreed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

I didn't catch much of Southampton myself, but numerous people in football have spoken very highly of his potential as a center forward given all his physical attributes. He's supposed to be very quick for someone of his size and strength, and very good technically. Plus as I was saying the other day if you look at his appearances he only started 22 games, the rest of his apps were 15 minutes or so here and there, and I've read Southampton fans saying that the number chances for their forwards really dried up second half of the season. So I think it's a case of if you can sand off the rough edges, there's very likely a top level striker in there. 

I only believe in what I have seen with my own eyes.

Numerous people in football have spiken cery highly about Brucey‘s achievements.

I have seen too little from Broje tbh

42 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What’s the point in taking him on loan or Chelsea giving him to us on loan if he isn’t going to be starting? It would only make sense if we have a fee agreed.

We could maybe get him on a loan with an obligation to buy. But in any case he'd surely get plenty of minutes as part of Howe trying to manage Wilson's time so that he isn't as plagued with injuries, and unfortunately Wilson likely will get injured for at least a handful of games regardless. Also I think I might be right in saying that he can play wide in a front three. 

2 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I only believe in what I have seen with my own eyes.

Numerous people in football have spiken cery highly about Brucey‘s achievements.

I have seen too little from Broje tbh

Well if Ashworth and Howe think he's worth it and actually go for him, I'll trust their judgement over my own layman, in comparison, knowledge. And in fairness it's people like Thomas Tuchel, Hasenhüttl etc, i.e. people of a high caliber football knowledge wise who are praising him. It's not Paul Merson, Andy Gray, monkey hands Keys etc. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Howay said:

Tielemans makes about £30k a week at Leicester. So he’s claiming that’s unrealistic amounts, unless Edwards is now claiming to have a level of insider knowledge into what Tielemans asks are and that those asks would be 4 times his salary or more, which he clearly doesn’t so I’d disregard everything he’s saying. Ben Jacobs is a leicester fan and that’s where his contacts are, he’s closer to this story than chicken nonce. 

Edwards is a country mile off nowadays with most his stuff. We aren’t going to blow our whole budget on defence when our major issue was in attack, he’s even said himself it makes no sense yet goes on like that’s what has happened :lol: 

I hope we sign Tielemans even more now than I previously did, just to prove this arrogant bloke even more wrong. 

Couple of things, firstly Ben Jacobs knows absolutely nothing. He’s laughed at by Leicester fans for his bulls*** over the years and seems to be trying to reinvent himself as some transfer guru.

Tielemans is on well over £100k a week, and has a contract on the table for a significant increase. He’s been planning his next move since he signed, which is why he would only take 4 year contract and not a 5 we wanted him to. He knew the power reverted back to him to work himself a move to a big club with European football. 

Im not sure plugging away in midtable is really on his agenda for the next few years, neither is signing a long term contact for someone without European football. A couple of years down the line and it would have been a different story, as the investment starts to pay off for you.

6 hours ago, ewerk said:

Aye I feel like any loans we do get will be FFP workaround types as you mention, I’d be fairly surprised if we did sign Broja on a loan with no option as like you say if he’s just backing up Wilson there’s not much incentive for Chelsea. 

3 hours ago, Foxedup said:

Couple of things, firstly Ben Jacobs knows absolutely nothing. He’s laughed at by Leicester fans for his bulls*** over the years and seems to be trying to reinvent himself as some transfer guru.

Tielemans is on well over £100k a week, and has a contract on the table for a significant increase. He’s been planning his next move since he signed, which is why he would only take 4 year contract and not a 5 we wanted him to. He knew the power reverted back to him to work himself a move to a big club with European football. 

Im not sure plugging away in midtable is really on his agenda for the next few years, neither is signing a long term contact for someone without European football. A couple of years down the line and it would have been a different story, as the investment starts to pay off for you.

who’s going to be plugging away in mid table?  Our owners have the top six in the crosshairs.

Some players can see that and will buy into it. We had no right to sign the likes of trippier and Bruno last season but they can see what’s happening and were persuaded to join at the beginning of the project. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Well if Ashworth and Howe think he's worth it and actually go for him, I'll trust their judgement over my own layman, in comparison, knowledge. And in fairness it's people like Thomas Tuchel, Hasenhüttl etc, i.e. people of a high caliber football knowledge wise who are praising him. It's not Paul Merson, Andy Gray, monkey hands Keys etc. 

Sorry I do agree with your point, but HassenBITCH and high calibre football knowledge 😂

On 01/07/2022 at 10:28, wykikitoon said:

Hasn't he had to sell to balance the books?  I.e can he spend it?

Or is it a new FFP year or something?

Paging @The Fish

Everton made something like c£350m losses over the past few years, when you're allowed to make c£100m losses. I have no idea how they've managed to convince the authorities that this is due to COVID but they have. It's utter bullshit and they should not only be facing transfer sanctions, but Leeds and Burnley surely have a case for compensation.

Anyway, Selling Richarlison for c£50m gets some money back, and gets a presumably high earner off the wages. There's still a fucking huge financial hole they need to dig themselves out of. They'll likely need to sell others like DCL as peddling fringe players for £5-10m isn't really going to cut it. Issue with that is that if Calvert-Lewin leaves, the only remaining natural Centre Forward in the first team squad is Rondon. The only striker I've seen them seriously linked with is Emmanuel Denis from Watford, but the price would surely be a stumbling block?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

They'll likely need to sell others like DCL as peddling fringe players for £5-10m isn't really going to cut it.

Do they though? The reason that the Richarlison deal was done early was so it would be on last season's accounts. If they believe they've done enough to stay within the FFP limits then I don't see why they'd have to sell anyone at this stage.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Do they though? The reason that the Richarlison deal was done early was so it would be on last season's accounts. If they believe they've done enough to stay within the FFP limits then I don't see why they'd have to sell anyone at this stage.

Even if you put £50m on last season's accounts, they're still in a financial hole. So even if some of the £350m loss could be attributed to COVID for the previous 3yr period, they haven't suddenly made £200m profit to get them back within the £100m loss for this new 3yr period, right?

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Negotiations have begun for Diabe, apparently. 

Is that the imitation Diaby?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Even if you put £50m on last season's accounts, they're still in a financial hole. So even if some of the £350m loss could be attributed to COVID for the previous 3yr period, they haven't suddenly made £200m profit to get them back within the £100m loss for this new 3yr period, right?

Does it work on separate 3 year periods or rolling terms? 

21 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Does it work on separate 3 year periods or rolling terms? 

Rolling, afaik. Wouldn't make much sense to do it on different periods.

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season