Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Agreed, if Paqueta is available we have to go for him. It has the two fold effect of adding a brilliant player and making Bruno even happier. We could improve the front line by getting a free like Belotti, or a loan, and then someone like Cornet for the wing. 

Up front is obviously lacking but our midfield also generates very little and is poor at keeping the ball. Shelvey, Willock, and Longstaff aren’t the level we will require going forward. We could get Paqueta now and it’s likely Diaby will still be at Leverkusen next summer for a similar price, meanwhile Paqueta may leave this window and if not it’s likely he has a really good World Cup with Brazil getting very far or possibly winning it meaning a big increase in interest in him. 

• Like 2

While we’re at it, where the fuck are Arsenal getting all their money from? They haven’t been in the champions league for a while, they just gave Abamayang away for nowt, spent £50m on Jesus and now they’re going to drop another £50m on Paqueta. Where’s the FFP police on this one, eh? Chicken nonce cunt 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What about Spurs? Allowed to generate an extra £100m through some shares sale because they're skint or something and need to keep Conte sweet? No bother, Tottenham, good luck for the new season. 

• Like 3

Would you take Dennis from Watford and Cornet off Burnley? We've supposedly been offered them, and they would be fairly cheap. Cornet has a 17.5m buyout clause for example, they're 24, and coming 26 in September respectively, so still young. On the one hand they'd probably present value, and both can play multiple attacking positions, but on the other they would perhaps be underwhelming moves in comparison to names like Asensio, Diaby etc. One thing is for certain, they would represent a vast improvement over the likes of Murphy, Gayle etc. You could probably buy Sarr off Watford as well and still get some change out of 70m for all three. Only problem being that all three represent African countries at international level, so come AFCON we'd be nobbled in the attacking third. 

Edited by Polarboy
Type

Just seen that AFCON has been postponed until January 2024, so given we'd have three transfer windows between now and then, buying multiple African nation players wouldn't pose as much of a headache. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

In the context of the article they're doing - the 'sensible transfer', I sort of understand how they've come to that decision.

Doesn't mean I agree with it though, I'd definitely go for Diaby ahead of him.

agreed on that,  though context wise, Pulisic is an upgrade on Almiron and Fraser. Fraser can perform on both wings, and i reckon after a half season with the decent coaches we use, i would expect him to be better. 

But they are right we do need an upgrade on a traditional right wing player.  and a top quality right footed centre back. 

Alfonso Leocádio seems fairly convinced Paqueta is Premier League bound and is citing either Arsenal or us. 

Imagine if we gazump Arsenal for both Bruno AND Paqueta :lol:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Craig said:

Alfonso Leocádio seems fairly convinced Paqueta is Premier League bound and is citing either Arsenal or us. 

Imagine if we gazump Arsenal for both Bruno AND Paqueta :lol:

The old DOUBLE GAZUMP

• Haha 1

On 10/07/2022 at 10:39, Polarboy said:

Duvan Zapata, the Columbian centre forward from Atalanta that we were linked to in January, is supposedly available for 15m. Can't see it happening now, assuming we were ever even interested. He's 31 so I can't see us paying that for another striker the wrong side of thirty, and he's unlikely to want to come and play understudy, support to Wilson. I mean unless Howe changes formation, or puts Wilson wide right of a front three, he's more than capable of playing there. The question is what's Zapata's injury record like, how reliant is he on his pace, and how much if any has he lost given his age. They're not the profile of attackers we're presently looking for, but Paqueta and Zapata could actually work in terms of adding the goals we need with a bit of tactical tweaking. 

Here's a player, now here's all the reasons why we shouldn't sign him. 

Good work Polarboy, ya big Jabroni.

On 10/07/2022 at 11:26, Alex said:

The reaction if get both though. :D 

if he’s available I think we can’t let the opportunity pass. I’m also not convinced that certain hacks bandying about stuff about FFP restrictions know what they’re on about. Also where are the sanctions against clubs like Chelsea and Everton who consistently flaunt the rules? 

This is why I didn't believe any shit about our transfer budget. We're in the enviable position of having the funds and the FFP wiggle room to buy players who're interested and available. Plus because of the neglect to the squad for fucking ages, most of the new signings know they're likely joining as first team regulars. Honestly, I think the only things slowing us down are getting shot of the deadwood like Gayle, Clark etc. and we're not going to be taken for fools by clubs or agents e.g. Ekitike.

If Paqueta and Diaby are available at the right price and want to come, we could definitely buy both. 

Since Oct 21 we've spent £190m on players with 4-5yr deals (bar Trippier and Wood). So we've still a fair amount of wiggle room in FFP terms.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

This is why I didn't believe any shit about our transfer budget. We're in the enviable position of having the funds and the FFP wiggle room to buy players who're interested and available. Plus because of the neglect to the squad for fucking ages, most of the new signings know they're likely joining as first team regulars. Honestly, I think the only things slowing us down are getting shot of the deadwood like Gayle, Clark etc. and we're not going to be taken for fools by clubs or agents e.g. Ekitike.

If Paqueta and Diaby are available at the right price and want to come, we could definitely buy both. 

Since Oct 21 we've spent £190m on players with 4-5yr deals (bar Trippier and Wood). So we've still a fair amount of wiggle room in FFP terms.

Okay, but what's Diego's point of view?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Someone should tag CN into this. Top share cheers Fishy

16 minutes ago, tinofbeans said:

good to know. Swiss ramble seems a decent source. 

Yup, he's usually pretty balanced. And, seems  fairly clued up. Normally his stuff is in line with the other well-known football finance guy, Kieran Maguire. 

Maguire has recently said that we'll need to be careful about FFP when it comes to UEFA competitions. New rules brought in recently mean that spending is more linked to turnover than it's ever been. Another example of UEFA cowed by the entrenched elite who're trying to bring up the drawbridge.

Clubs competing in European competitions were previously allowed to lose no more than £25m over a rolling three-year assessment period. But the new system limits clubs to spending no more than 70 per cent of their turnover on wages, transfers and agent fees.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season