Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

@LongTimeAdmirer As for where he would play he wouldn't have to come into the team straight away given Almiron's form in preseason. He could be cover for either wing and up front, and then we could play it by ear depending on how he settled. It would be entirely down to Ashworth and Howe as to whether he'd be worth it for the price, and whether he'd be likely to be able to contribute to the first team straight away. Again though this all academic at the minute. 

49 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Based on his current track record.

He's a CF that can play RW and LW. Last season at 22 was his first time that he's played at a top level and even then he was a squad player and not a starter. 

Before that he played 1 season with 5 games total in the second team in the French fourth division.

Before that he was playing in Senegal.

Nothing really suggesting he's ready to come in to the EPL, we've got Woods as back up, who has been underwhelming so far but I think hes decent, so where does Bamba come in? Is he starting at RW?

Lastly this sure as fuck isnt the face of a 22 year old. :lol::lol: More like a 26 year old.  

822458-1631530108.jpg?lm=1

429474.jpg

He's nicked John Regis's ears.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

@LongTimeAdmirer As for where he would play he wouldn't have to come into the team straight away given Almiron's form in preseason. He could be cover for either wing and up front, and then we could play it by ear depending on how he settled. It would be entirely down to Ashworth and Howe as to whether he'd be worth it for the price, and whether he'd be likely to be able to contribute to the first team straight away. Again though this all academic at the minute. 

Yeah I might have overreacted, I was looking at it as "Is this the new hybrid CF/RW starter?".  Obviously Ashworth and Howe know better, so lets see what happens,

@Gemmill All right foot

• Like 1

Obviously YouTube videos aren't the best way to judge a player given you could make a half decent highlight reel of me playing five a side, but if that video is truly representative of him as a player he's definitely the profile of player that Howe and Ashworth are said to be after. Young, high ceiling, good attitude, can press, can tackle, works hard, decent strength and pace, and can play multiple attacking positions. 

Allegedly both Maddison and Fofana wanting the respective moves. Not exactly conducive to a settling atmosphere. I expect one of them to go, if not both by the end of the window. We might need to play the long game.

Realistically I would assume Fofana is, out of the two, the one most agitating for a move. A big money, big wages move to Chelsea is obviously more enticing than a move to us at present. Of course we are a club on the up, but we've yet to match any of Leicester's recent achievements, even if they had a bad season last year. So it could be argued that we are a sideways move at best, again even if we have the potential to quickly overtake Leicester. 

Hudson-Odoi was left out of Chelsea's squad today and he's not injured, along with Alonso who's on his way to Barca. Could be nothing but it could indicate he's on his way out the door along with Alonso. 

Looks like Hudson-Odoi is going to either Southampton or Leicester if he leaves Chelsea, so despite the rumours I doubt we were ever in for him, or at least have changed our minds. Hopefully that's a good sign in that we aren't scrambling around trying to loan Chelsea cast offs. So Guedes is off to Arsenal most likely, or perhaps Wolves given the Portuguese connection, and Hudson-Odoi is off to Southampton or Leicester. 😂 Shame this is a Newcastle transfer news thread.  

Edited by Polarboy

On 03/08/2022 at 18:12, scoobos said:

Well, in my limited experience of watching Pope, I think Dubravka is better. Pope has that England goalkeeper twitch in him that makes silly mistakes every 4 or 5 games. 

Also, Wood aint no Donkey either. Hopefully he'll settle this year and maybe ASM will learn how to put a high ball in, rather than a square ball when he's ran out of options on the touchline with 3 men on him.

So, after seeing Pope today - wow what a difference and clearly better than Dubravka (albeit just this one game).

Was getting annoyed with ASM again today though, he just seems so disinterested when out of possession.

Also wrong with Lingard being a good target for us , he looked properly in it for the money today, not the Lingard of his England days by a long shot.

Edited by scoobos

Hopefully we are behind Guedes and not the Wolves.

Because I do believe that he is a player who fits in very well here.

His best position is on the left wing, but I don't think he would have a problem switching places with Saint Maximin. In addition, he could really fight for a place with the Frenchman and that would make both of them raise the level.

I really like Guedes. He is fast, he has a good shot from distance and he has good technique.

Last year, he even ended up playing a lot as a reference forward up front (not his best position, nor is he a goalscorer), but it could be a solution in case Wilson is unavailable and we need something other than Wood.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tough convincing a Portuguese player to join us when Wolves are involved, if these reports hold any weight. Of course if he isn't excited about our potential, and would rather the comfort of having numerous fellow countrymen around him, then he's probably not the right sort of character to begin with. 

Sounds like we are trying Sesko but would need his club to take instalments. Probably means the Maddison deal is dead. Suspect we will try for another forward/winger on loan when the bigger clubs trim their squads at the end of the month. 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

According to Romano Arsenal were never interested in this Guedes guy, and he hasn't even mentioned our name, so it appears Wolves have a clear run at him even if we do hold an interest. Sesko and maybe a loan winger would be decent, but again it seems unlikely we'll get Sesko given Man U and Chelsea have shown interest, Sesko himself has supposedly said he'd prefer to continue his developement at Salzburg for another season, and Salzburg themselves are loath to lose him this early in his Salzburg career. 

It can look a bit like we’re missing out on loads of targets but I’m not convinced there’s that many we’re in for (or have been). Obviously there’s the kid who went to PSG and Maddison seems to have been the subject of a genuine bid but there’s loads of speculation. Then we’ve got the lad who was registering his kids at a local school to be announced  too 

• Haha 4

Shame all the Maddison speculation has fizzled out. I still suspect our business will be done in the final days of the window, whether it’s him or someone else.

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season