Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

With Werner off their wage bill, and with whatever fee they get, it could be that Chelsea are extra motivated to go after Sesko who they as mentioned have been linked to. There's a strong danger that even if we manage to negotiate a fee with Salzburg, if indeed we are really serious about him, Chelsea or Man U will swoop in at the last minute. 

Edited by Polarboy

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Tough convincing a Portuguese player to join us when Wolves are involved, if these reports hold any weight. Of course if he isn't excited about our potential, and would rather the comfort of having numerous fellow countrymen around him, then he's probably not the right sort of character to begin with. 

Jorge Mendes is the men that controls Valencia and Wolves (and Braga, Besiktas, even Atletico overall in the past) and some portugueses and brazilian players.

If you see the Wolves squad, you can find several players under the Mendes Umbrella. Jose Sá, Neves, Moutinho, Semedo, Totti, Jiménez, Pedro Neto, Podence, Chiquinho, Adama Traoré and even the coach Bruno Lage. In the recent years... Nuno (the coach), Trincao, Diogo Jota, Vinagre, Rafa Mir, Rui Patricio, Helder Costa, Ivan Cavaleiro... 

• Like 1

It could just be a negotiating tactic, but either way they will be looking for an over the odds fee. Given the clubs apparent strict policy of only going for players if they think they will get value, with Wood being the exception, I can't see us getting him. 

I hope not but perhaps Everton are still in a financial predicament so we could get some traction there.

He has only played a handful of games so wouldn't want to blow my load on him but Howe and Co have earned some credits so I'll trust their judgement.

What is Gordon's position exactly? What is he meant to do well? To me, last time we played them, he looked like a squirrel on crack. Not sure how that translates into our team, though I guess it could be useful in the press.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What is Gordon's position exactly? What is he meant to do well? To me, last time we played them, he looked like a squirrel on crack. Not sure how that translates into our team, though I guess it could be useful in the press.

He's a left winger who can play on the right. I compared him to ASM and Almiron because they're two very different types of wide player and we're all pretty familiar with them. 

I'm talking percentiles here, not actual figures. e.g. Almiron is in the 99th percentile for tackles, Gordon 96th, and ASM is in the 1st.

Gordon is comparable to Almiron for defensive actions (tackles 96-99, pressures 92-95, interceptions 81-80 etc.), only really leaving him behind for blocks 98-44

When it comes to the midfield actions

Progressive carries AG-32, MA 11, ASM 87.

Dribble completed AG 61, MA 19, ASM 99 ,

Passes attempted AG 21, MA14, ASM 7

Progressive passes AG 19,  MA 14, ASM 14

Pass Completed  AG 11, MA 78, ASM 27

Touches (Att Pen) AG 36,  MA 40, ASM 57

At the business end of the pitch, he has significantly less assists and goals than ASM (both actual and expected)

Non-penalty goals AG 30, MA 8, ASM 32

Non-penalty   xG   AG 14, MA 8, ASM 37

Total Shots AG 30, MA 26, ASM 53

Shot creating actions AG 32, MA 21, ASM 69

Assists AG 13, MA 2, ASM 43

npxG+A AG16, MA 1, ASM, 39

Statistic AG% ASM% MA%
Non-Penalty Goals
npxG
Shots Total
Assists
xA
npxG+xA
Shot-Creating Actions
Passes Attempted
Pass Completion %
Progressive Passes
Progressive Carries
Dribbles Completed
Touches (Att Pen)
Progressive Passes Rec
Pressures
Tackles
Interceptions
Blocks
Clearances
Aerials won

He doesn't blow my skirt up but he might be an improvement on Almiron? I guess. 

• Like 1

He's still only 19, so maybe he really does want to follow Haaland's career trajectory. As in start at Salzburg, join a German team for a couple of seasons, and then move on to a big English or Spanish club. Of course if his development doesn't go to plan he may regret not taking the big move while he could. 

We've supposedly submitted an enquiry for Conor Gallagher off Chelsea. I'd be pretty underwhelmed if we are actually interested in him, given that I don't think he's much better than say a Willock given he's an attacking mid. He'd add depth and little else. 

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

He's a left winger who can play on the right. I compared him to ASM and Almiron because they're two very different types of wide player and we're all pretty familiar with them. 

I'm talking percentiles here, not actual figures. e.g. Almiron is in the 99th percentile for tackles, Gordon 96th, and ASM is in the 1st.

Gordon is comparable to Almiron for defensive actions (tackles 96-99, pressures 92-95, interceptions 81-80 etc.), only really leaving him behind for blocks 98-44

When it comes to the midfield actions

Progressive carries AG-32, MA 11, ASM 87.

Dribble completed AG 61, MA 19, ASM 99 ,

Passes attempted AG 21, MA14, ASM 7

Progressive passes AG 19,  MA 14, ASM 14

Pass Completed  AG 11, MA 78, ASM 27

Touches (Att Pen) AG 36,  MA 40, ASM 57

At the business end of the pitch, he has significantly less assists and goals than ASM (both actual and expected)

Non-penalty goals AG 30, MA 8, ASM 32

Non-penalty   xG   AG 14, MA 8, ASM 37

Total Shots AG 30, MA 26, ASM 53

Shot creating actions AG 32, MA 21, ASM 69

Assists AG 13, MA 2, ASM 43

npxG+A AG16, MA 1, ASM, 39

Statistic AG% ASM% MA%
Non-Penalty Goals
npxG
Shots Total
Assists
xA
npxG+xA
Shot-Creating Actions
Passes Attempted
Pass Completion %
Progressive Passes
Progressive Carries
Dribbles Completed
Touches (Att Pen)
Progressive Passes Rec
Pressures
Tackles
Interceptions
Blocks
Clearances
Aerials won

He doesn't blow my skirt up but he might be an improvement on Almiron? I guess. 

Are you on crack?

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Weird move when big PL clubs are in the mix for him 

Possibly a red bull to red bull thing?

• Haha 1

Gordonmay not be a popular signing but we have to trust  Howe. Look what he's done with Big Joe. Look how he's now got Maxi running & passing. IF we sign Gordon im sure Howe will get the very best out of him. 

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season