Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Most likely a terrible career move by Coady, who's a very decent centre half. I had actually assumed that he was an Everton fan given he's a scouser and chose what is a downward move to Everton, but apparently he's a Liverpool fan. The only logic to the move is that he wanted to move home for some reason. 

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

Most likely a terrible career move by Coady, who's a very decent centre half. I had actually assumed that he was an Everton fan given he's a scouser and chose what is a downward move to Everton, but apparently he's a Liverpool fan. The only logic to the move is that he wanted to move home for some reason. 

He’s also on the fringes of the England squad, 3 months off a World Cup and wasn’t getting a game at Wolves…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

He’s also on the fringes of the England squad, 3 months off a World Cup and wasn’t getting a game at Wolves…

We'll see how it goes with who Everton end up signing, and whether Lampard can actually coach said players effectively, but Coady could easily be in the bottom three or close to it with Everton by the time the World Cup comes around. Also he played every game pretty much last season, so maybe he's lost his place to Collins who they signed this summer, but one game into the season is a bit early to be thinking you're bench fodder and move. So I would assume it's more complex than your comment suggests. 

7 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Definitely a Liverpool fan. Watch his celebration when he scores against them in March this year - a goal which was sinking them at the time. 

I hope he has a good start or he could get the Rafa treatment. Actually I hope he has a fucking terrible start. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Are you on crack?

Any time you mention 'crack' I'm reminded of how you're never happier than when you're nose deep in a soiled gusset.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Craig said:

This makes absolutely zero sense from Coady’s perspective. What a fucking moron.

He played 150 consecutive games for Wolves and was told in pre season he wasn't in the starting XI anymore. He's after game time for the World Cup 

• Like 1

Does anyone expect Dubravka to go? Was listening to Anderson on't wireless last night and he said he thinks he will go as he doesn't want to play second fiddle.  Howe has said he may get shut of a keeper.  Would rather see Darlow go.

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Not sure how they are well within our budget when £60mil for Diaby and Maddison is outside of budget?

there was talk of Paqueta being made available for £35m at one point. Dunno if there’s any truth in it 

According to that article Dieng is available for £15m - so two players for less than one James Maddison, potentially. Fuck knows if there’s any truth in it 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

According to that article Dieng is available for £15m - so two players for less than one James Maddison, potentially. Fuck knows if there’s any truth in it 

It’s from 90 mins, so it is as reliable as the other 5457 stories from them that got posted here

• Haha 1

I don't believe anything these days. Nothing.

My son said he liked the song we had on in the car this morning, but there was something in his voice that made me think "This kid is a fucking liar"

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Not sure how they are well within our budget when £60mil for Diaby and Maddison is outside of budget?

Has anyone from the club officially stated that Diaby and Maddison were outside budget? Not meaning to seem argumentative but there's a lot of unsubstantiated guess work being circulated by the English media - this piece on Dieng & Paqueta included. 

I have a sense Paqueta might happen but close to the deadline. I'm judging that purely on his social media postings and his close links to Bruno. There seems to be an expectation in France that his days at Lyon won't last much longer and that England is his most likely destination. If that happens you have to think we are in an extremely strong position. That said he's got 3 years remaining on his current deal so it won't be a cheap purchase. 

39 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Does anyone expect Dubravka to go? Was listening to Anderson on't wireless last night and he said he thinks he will go as he doesn't want to play second fiddle.  Howe has said he may get shut of a keeper.  Would rather see Darlow go.

I can't see Dubravka being happy with being on the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

In all fairness they've been about 12 hours ahead on all Madison bids being rejected 

Broken clocks are right twice a day. It's not an earth-shattering call to suggest bids will be rejected. 

90mins are definitely not a reliable source in isolation. If more mainstream media outlets pick it up - Sky / Times / BBC etc then it's quite possibly got serious legs (like we saw with the Botman transfer) but we're certainly not near that tipping point yet. 

90mins were also all over the Ekitike saga from start to finish from January onwards. Perhaps whatever legit contacts they do have, have decent intel about Ligue 1, which of course is where Dieng and Paqueta ply their trade. Of course this is me more trying to convince myself than actually being all that confident. With Shelvey out now, Gallagher, Dieng and Paqueta could be a very decent end to the window. Of course Gallagher is unlikely to want to come if we can't guarantee him that he would be an important part of the team. So I can't see him and Paqueta happening unless we restructured the team to accommodate both, which is unlikely. If our move for Paqueta is legit, then the Gallagher stuff was very likely pure paper talk.  

Edited by Polarboy

37 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Does anyone know anything about Bamba Dieng? A quick snoop on Wikipedia suggests he's scored 9 goals in 46 games (1 in 5). Hardly earth shattering for a striker.  Wilson by contrast has scored 20 goals in 40 games for us.

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Does anyone know anything about Bamba Dieng? A quick snoop on Wikipedia suggests he's scored 9 goals in 46 games (1 in 5). Hardly earth shattering for a striker.  Wilson by contrast has scored 20 goals in 40 games for us.

Only 11 of those were starts in the league. With Dieng it seems we are going after potential, and are willing to take a chance on a young player given he can play centre forward and out wide, which will allow us to cover Wilson while we bed him into the team playing him out wide, which obviously has less pressure on it than leading the line for a team. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

Only 11 of those were starts in the league. With Dieng it seems we are going after potential, and are willing to take a chance on a young player given he can play centre forward and out wide, which will allow us to cover Wilson while we bed him into the team playing him out wide, which obviously has less pressure on it than leading the line for a team. 

If he can play wide right I'd take that solution, sounds perfect.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season