Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

@The Fish

Who do you think we should aim for?

I'm lost in the sea of names now and tbh it's starting to get a bit tedious.

The good thing is when Howe says that we won't make any signings unless they improve the team that leaves plenty of options in the attacking third. I'm therefore still confident that come the end of the window we'll have two signings though the door.

If anyone else can be sold that will really help as well. This really is the best path forward; if we continue to improve on the pitch we'll become an increasingly desirable destination for up and coming players who will be the sweet spot for value in terms of wages. As this happens our sponsorship and corporate earnings will exponentially be increasing opening up the possibility of higher wages and transfer fees.

1 hour ago, OTF said:

The good thing is when Howe says that we won't make any signings unless they improve the team that leaves plenty of options in the attacking third. I'm therefore still confident that come the end of the window we'll have two signings though the door.

If anyone else can be sold that will really help as well. This really is the best path forward; if we continue to improve on the pitch we'll become an increasingly desirable destination for up and coming players who will be the sweet spot for value in terms of wages. As this happens our sponsorship and corporate earnings will exponentially be increasing opening up the possibility of higher wages and transfer fees.

FFS don’t post anything like that in a Guardian article comments, there will be nothing but howls of sportswashing, bonesaw murderer supporters, etc.

In a country where the major print media is owned by Murdoch and the alternative is run by an ex Australian Tory party minister, the Guardian is a refreshing look at our social and political news but fuck me I cannot read it for football any more with the fucking idiots screaming blue murder at NUFC supporters!

(This post is brought to you by both the above and Rayvin’s post in another thread).

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

FFS don’t post anything like that in a Guardian article comments, there will be nothing but howls of sportswashing, bonesaw murderer supporters, etc.

In a country where the major print media is owned by Murdoch and the alternative is run by an ex Australian Tory party minister, the Guardian is a refreshing look at our social and political news but fuck me I cannot read it for football any more with the fucking idiots screaming blue murder at NUFC supporters!

(This post is brought to you by both the above and Rayvin’s post in another thread).

Best to just leave them to work themselves into a tizzy whilst NUFC marches onwards.

• Like 1

Based on no facts whatsoever, I think the truth is we have a very poor scouting set up and have been fishing in a very small pond for players that are not scouted etc.

I trust the two senior board appointments will get to work on this over time, so windows become a lot easier / more focussed going forward.

Well it’s not an area where we’ll have been well-stocked under Ashley. Which again flies in the face of his bollocks about how the club needed to self-sustaining. I would imagine Ashworth has more than enough contacts though, even if they aren’t officially employed by the club

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

What does Diego say? 

1.- Maddison or Paqueta? Maddison. I mean. I have dirty dreams with the MC formed by Paqueta, Joelinton and Bruno. But Paqueta seems somewhat irregular to me and its adaptation to England is not clear. In fact, in Italy it failed and that makes me doubt. I would sign Paquetá without hesitation, but Maddison's option would be too good.

2.- Bamba DIeng and Ramos... Sorry, but I don't see them so much to make and valuable evaluation. But from the little I've seen, I liked Ramos a lot, Dieng didn't. Ramos is a center forward more like Wilson, Dieng is a striker who can play on the wings.

3.- The case of Barcelona is complex. Really, they have done the same as all the clubs in Spain. In Spain, 18 La Liga clubs have sold 10% of the TV rights for 40 years in exchange for money now.

Barcelona has done the same, but independently, taking out more money and without having to pay back so much interest. Barcelona's problem is that they should not be able to register any of the signings. In fact, two days before the start of the League, they only have 15 players registered (only one goalkeeper, and no signings). And if he manages to enroll them all, it would be very very rare because he does not have enough margin (he will, for sure).

4.- Who should aim for?  The other day I really liked the team. I think it is only necessary to sign a couple of players.

A player who can play up front, who's quick and can move around the front line, to give us an alternative to Wood when Wilson goes down injured (and I don't think we're going to sign anybody and Saint Maximin will take that situation). Someone like Amine Gouiri or Moussa Dembelé could be fine. Depay has also been mentioned. that would be the style

A player who is capable of playing through the center as a midfielder and angled to the right wing to accompany the midfielders and who improves the performance that Almirón, Fraser and Murphy give us (and one of the three should go out, although I think that with Howe still can give more than what we have seen these years). That player could be the ones we've already mentioned. Madison, Paquetá. There is a footballer who plays in Portugal called Pedro Gonçalves 'Pote' who would be ideal for me. He is a player very similar to Bruno Fernandes.  Another player who fits that profile is Lo Celso, who is not wanted by Tottenham (although it seems that he wants to return to Villarreal).

And looking to the future, there is a boy who plays in Argentina very young, called Facundo Farías, who has that dribbling style that could be a world star in 2-3 years.

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Based on no facts whatsoever, I think the truth is we have a very poor scouting set up and have been fishing in a very small pond for players that are not scouted etc.

I trust the two senior board appointments will get to work on this over time, so windows become a lot easier / more focussed going forward.

There’s lots of factors though. We’re really looking at players who are young and up and coming or, if more established, still have their best years ahead of them. In the case of the latter, they need to improve the first XI, not just the squad. They need to have the right desire / mentality / attitude. They need to represent value and fit into the current wage structure. And you’re talking about players in the final third who come at a premium of course. I think the scouting setup won’t be where Ashworth wants it to be however 

• Like 1

PSG hopefully might not need him/have a place in their squad for him at this point in time. But if we lose out to PSG, so be it. Real Madrid lose out to PSG. The fact we're fishing in the same pond is encouraging. 

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

PSG hopefully might not need him/have a place in their squad for him at this point in time. But if we lose out to PSG, so be it. Real Madrid lose out to PSG. The fact we're fishing in the same pond is encouraging. 

If this lad is our alternative to Etikte(?) then it’s fairly likely that’s the case. Am thinking he takes Willock’s place in the starting XI?.. 

He's a forward isn't he rather than midfield? The thing with Ekitike is I assume the rules in France are the same and he doesn't actually take up a squad registration number cos of his age. 

Still though, signing another forward would drop him down the pecking order and eventually you just have too many players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If this lad is our alternative to Etikte(?) then it’s fairly likely that’s the case. Am thinking he takes Willock’s place in the starting XI?.. 

Sounds like he’s more of a Miggy upgrade. 

Don’t know if he can cover CF too like Ekitike could 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season