Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

19 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

No need to panic, Steve is on the case.

"Fantastic to finally have someone involved with not just the local insight but also the vision, respect, poise and gravitas required" - Steve Wraith

• Haha 1

On 14/08/2022 at 09:58, Dr Gloom said:

I think centre forward is arguably the one position in most need of upgrading. Once Wilson picks up his inevitable muscle injury we’re fucked for goals. 

Almiron and Fraser clearly aren’t good enough for where we want to be but I’d also be worried if Bruno were to get an injury now Shelvey is out because there is literally zero creativity in the middle without those two. Unless Anderson steps up  

Disagree with that, I think we've got a good PL striker with an injury issue, we don't have a PL standard threat from the right wing at all. Say we signed Zapata, he's sharing game time with Wilson and where's the supply coming from? Or say we sign Dieng, now Wilson has a supply line AND we've got a goal threat from a different part of the pitch when/if Wilson gets injured.

On 14/08/2022 at 11:45, Kid Dynamite said:

That's flawed logic though. The order we upgraded new positions WOULD be irrelevant if we had £500mil to spend and brought in 11 new players this window. When you work to a budget and there are clearly gaps in the squad up front it's common sense to use the money you have to strengthen those positions first, rather than compromise on the likes of Isak, Maddison and Diaby because we don't have enough money left in the pot 

We had gaps at the back too. We didn't have a left back, so we signed Targett. We didn't have a top-half CB, so we signed Burn and Botman. We didn't have a right back, so we signed Trippier. Debatable if Dubravka is good enough for the top half, so we went and secured one for a bargain price. If we hadn't have signed those players, we'd be fielding a defence consisting of - Manquillo Schar Lascelles Dummett. That's a Championship back line. Fraser, Almiron, ASM may not be the level we want to be at, but at least they're Premier League standard.

• Like 1

Hudson-Odoi who was benched against Spurs was meant to play in a reserves match, but has been withdrawn from that. An Evening Standard footie writer who covers Chelsea has said that news of him going out on loan has intensified in the last 24 hours. So it appears that Hudson-Odoi will be going out on loan for the season imminently. Whether he'll be coming to us is another matter given there's plenty of teams interested in him. I think I'd prefer Pulisic given he's proven himself to be more explosive in goal and assist returns when he's on form. Hudson-Odoi supposedly has all the potential in the world, but the question is how long it would take Howe to get him back on track again after his big injury. 

If reports are to be believed Benfica don't want to sell him until after their Champions League qualifier on the 23rd, given how important it is for them financially to qualify for the competition. It's not ideal given he could get injured, other clubs could jump ahead of us in the queue, or as I said the other day should another club beat us we could be in the last week of the window with few viable options.

Edit. The Chronicle are reporting that Hudson-Odoi would be  keen on a move to us, but that there's heavy competition for his signature. Another thing in our favour is that Chelsea would prefer to loan him to a PL team. Hudson-Odoi was heavily linked to Dortmund last year. 

Edited by Polarboy

The only thing about Hudson-Odoi is that he ruptured his achilles tendon the season before last, and has had a few reoccurring problems is that area since. I'm sure our medical team would take that into consideration, but again it's something to think about should we try to loan him. 

Edited by Polarboy

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season