Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

17 hours ago, Craig said:

Eagerly awaiting input from sammy, OTF and Robin...

Remember him playing against Barca and looked pretty good then.  Can't remember him in any A League games, but didn't see many last year.

Craig forgot about me. Unsurprising given the offence caused by my laser-like accuracy in recent critiques of his favourite Longstaff's lacklustre performances. I only bring it up again in confidence that Craig will let it go without comment and avoid bogging down the discussion with a ridiculous focus on semantics and irrelevant details. So with that out of the way, I bet everyone else has been eagerly awaiting my input. Wait no longer!

Based on my years of knowledge and experience, the A-League seems to be some sort of collection of super hero troupes or "delinquent gangs" as they're known on the Central Coast.

Now, if this Cpt. Kool fella has imbued the powers of the Gosford shire into his being, then he'll be amazing at chasing lost causes, acquiring free cigarettes and metabolising liquid heroin.

Sign him up! I know who he could replace. 

• Haha 12

11 hours ago, sammynb said:

Well for starters Central Coast is the Sunderlund of Australia's Newcastle, admittedly last season was more spewa Kev's Sunderlund than 2021/22 but no less.

Garang looks okay, he's not played a lot to be fair but he's young and very slight. From the games I've seen him play, which is 2 or 3, I wouldn't have figured he'd make it to the highest level of football, maybe 2nd or 3rd tier.

But I'm not Dan Ashworth and his lot must see something in Kuol. There is definitely an opportunity for a profit to be made on the lad as they will get him for a few hundred thousand at most and should be able to sell him on for a couple of million but here's hoping he turns out to be the next Drogba.

I wouldn't say that even remotely accurate TBH Sammy. Central Coast is a holiday region that became a retirement zone whilst parts became (or always were) quite a bit bogan. It's closer to Sydney than to Newcastle. Newcastle has been industrial since ever and was named after England's Newcastle for that reason. The familiar name is part of why I started supporting NUFC some 27 or so years back. As far as sporting rivalries go they tried to build up both the Newcastle vs Central Coast and the Sydney vs Central Coast rivalries. Central Coast have punched avove their weight for the most part.

I've only seen him in the game vs Barca as I've not watched much A-League in the past few years. So I've got nothing to add on his ability except to say if he comes good I've always believed that he would.

• Haha 2
  • Jaysus... 1

14 minutes ago, OTF said:

I wouldn't say that even remotely accurate TBH Sammy. Central Coast is a holiday region that became a retirement zone whilst parts became (or always were) quite a bit bogan. It's closer to Sydney than to Newcastle. Newcastle has been industrial since ever and was named after England's Newcastle for that reason. The familiar name is part of why I started supporting NUFC some 27 or so years back. As far as sporting rivalries go they tried to build up both the Newcastle vs Central Coast and the Sydney vs Central Coast rivalries. Central Coast have punched avove their weight for the most part.

I've only seen him in the game vs Barca as I've not watched much A-League in the past few years. So I've got nothing to add on his ability except to say if he comes good I've always believed that he would.

@OTF  Official! This one will not pass the test. Next! 

Love all of the input from our southern family.

2 hours ago, toonotl said:

Craig forgot about me. Unsurprising given the offence caused by my laser-like accuracy in recent critiques of his favourite Longstaff's lacklustre performances. I only bring it up again in confidence that Craig will let it go without comment and avoid bogging down the discussion with a ridiculous focus on semantics and irrelevant details. So with that out of the way, I bet everyone else has been eagerly awaiting my input. Wait no longer!

Based on my years of knowledge and experience, the A-League seems to be some sort of collection of super hero troupes or "delinquent gangs" as they're known on the Central Coast.

Now, if this Cpt. Kool fella has imbued the powers of the Gosford shire into his being, then he'll be amazing at chasing lost causes, acquiring free cigarettes and metabolising liquid heroin.

Sign him up! I know who he could replace. 

TBH I'd completely forgotten who you were.

• Haha 3

Bringing back memories of when Blaydon would say we needed to sign the latest prospect that he’d seen playing for Wollongong Wolves. Even though he was meant to be living in Newcastle working at the Evening Chronicle, after obtaining a job there via his uncle. Whilst posting from a Sydney IP address 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, OTF said:

I wouldn't say that even remotely accurate TBH Sammy. Central Coast is a holiday region that became a retirement zone whilst parts became (or always were) quite a bit bogan. It's closer to Sydney than to Newcastle.

Trust me K, as someone born but not raised in Newcastle (Upon Hunter) we hate the fucking Coasties and mate, I said mate, what do you think a makem is, if not a rabid bogan (aka charva) in the shadow of their larger, more impressive neighbour?!??

Plus besides CCM have been shite for most of their time as a footballing enitity and it often has been a toss up between them and the Wellington Wankers, I mean Phoenix, for the wooden spoon, with the Jets just (scrapping) in above them.

The last two season were anomalies, they will return to be shite soon.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Trust me K, as someone born but not raised in Newcastle (Upon Hunter) we hate the fucking Coasties and mate, I said mate, what do you think a makem is, if not a rabid bogan (aka charva) in the shadow of their larger, more impressive neighbour?!??

Plus besides CCM have been shite for most of their time as a footballing enitity and it often has been a toss up between them and the Wellington Wankers, I mean Phoenix, for the wooden spoon, with the Jets just (scrapping) in above them.

The last two season were anomalies, they will return to be shite soon.

I didn't realise you were from Newcastle S, so hope you didn't take offense to what I said between the lines 😉 

Newcastle (town/city area) itself is too far from Sydney for anyone from Sydney to generally have visited enough to have even a mildly formed opinion. When I started supporting Newcastle in the 90s I'd only been into the town a couple of times (but then I was pre-teen).

The central coast and Lake Macquarie area by virtue of proximity and the M1 was close enough to be frequently visited (day trips or holiday homes). Had/have family in Swansea and Caves Beach way (retired up that way many many years ago) which are Lake Macquarie which is part of the Newcastle/Hunter region anyway.

My point was more that Central Coast may be in the shadow of Sydney more than Newcastle. At what age did you leave the region?

The relationship between Newcastle and Sydney is probably pretty symbiotic in that they both don't give a fuck about each other.

CCM have been shite for big chunks, agree but they've also over achieved at other times in part through bringing in players from Australia's footballing heartland - Western Sydney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I even watched the first 30 seconds of that video and realised a) he's playing against pub sides and b) the link is probably total bollocks anyway. 

So I'm back to the livestream of Lizzie's box. 

Wide Eyes What GIF

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, OTF said:

I didn't realise you were from Newcastle S, so hope you didn't take offense to what I said between the lines 😉 

Newcastle (town/city area) itself is too far from Sydney for anyone from Sydney to generally have visited enough to have even a mildly formed opinion. When I started supporting Newcastle in the 90s I'd only been into the town a couple of times (but then I was pre-teen).

The central coast and Lake Macquarie area by virtue of proximity and the M1 was close enough to be frequently visited (day trips or holiday homes). Had/have family in Swansea and Caves Beach way (retired up that way many many years ago) which are Lake Macquarie which is part of the Newcastle/Hunter region anyway.

My point was more that Central Coast may be in the shadow of Sydney more than Newcastle. At what age did you leave the region?

The relationship between Newcastle and Sydney is probably pretty symbiotic in that they both don't give a fuck about each other.

CCM have been shite for big chunks, agree but they've also over achieved at other times in part through bringing in players from Australia's footballing heartland - Western Sydney.

All good, family left there when I was very young and relocated to the other steel city south of Sydney, with regular 3 month school holiday stints in Newie with the grandparents until I was an early teen I have a love for the place, even though it was a dirty poor industrial city.

It has had a bit of a rejuvination since the steelworks closed and is not the place it was,

But to be fair I've lived longer in Sydney than in either of those places.

WSW are probably second on the Jets most hated list but that has more to do with the fact they like to steal any half decent player we have.

BTW you do know Newcastle has a greater footballing history than anywhere else in the country? Before they got that shite rugby league team, football was king in Newcastle.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, sammynb said:

All good, family left there when I was very young and relocated to the other steel city south of Sydney, with regular 3 month school holiday stints in Newie with the grandparents until I was an early teen I have a love for the place, even though it was a dirty poor industrial city.

It has had a bit of a rejuvination since the steelworks closed and is not the place it was,

But to be fair I've lived longer in Sydney than in either of those places.

WSW are probably second on the Jets most hated list but that has more to do with the fact they like to steal any half decent player we have.

BTW you do know Newcastle has a greater footballing history than anywhere else in the country? Before they got that shite rugby league team, football was king in Newcastle.

I'm not going to dispute this, though plenty probably would! Parts of Western Sydney (mostly South West) football/wogball has always and will always be king.

I've got family who have moved to QLD in more recent times and we visit them plenty, so Newcastle is now just the place near the Hexham bridge on our trips.

I support the Wanderers though I've not been very active in that pursuit for quite some time. I have a much much bigger interest in the toon, I'm happy when the Wanderers win whereas I'll scream out in delight when Newcastle score. Embarrassing as it is (especially given some of the turgid shit I've watched) hearing the blaydon races and local hero blaring on the tannoys instantly makes my heart happy.

• Like 2

The guy is a cock-womble but I'd be breaking there bank to get Maddison in next transfer window.

There just isn't enough goalscorers in the team.

Miggy and Fraser will get less than 5. Arguably Maxi and Joelinton as well. That means all our goals have to come from the centre forward or rare goal from elsewhere eg Tripper.

21 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

The guy is a cock-womble but I'd be breaking there bank to get Maddison in next transfer window.

There just isn't enough goalscorers in the team.

Miggy and Fraser will get less than 5. Arguably Maxi and Joelinton as well. That means all our goals have to come from the centre forward or rare goal from elsewhere eg Tripper.

All of our January signings need to be players who can score and/or create at this level.

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

Aye. Diaby and Maddison would be terrific, take us immediately to another level as attacking force. Would cost around $120M though, doubt we will or can splurge that in Jan.

Music Video Money GIF

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season