Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’d take a punt on Rashford over Lingard, all day. Genuinely think a move away from that place would rejuvenate him

I wouldn't take Lingard purely because he wore fucking gloves on Monday night the fucking ponce.  He would be in a full Eskimo suit at SJP in August!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Don't want Nketiah, his league record is shite and we need a first choice striker not a third, Wilson/Wood are our Gayle replacements behind a proper signing.

Lingards only 29, he has got a couple of good years left in him but I feel like that ship has sailed, he'd be free sure but he would then be on massive wages just as hes about to decline.

I meant Nketiah as well as a first choice striker. He's got a goal every 3 games this season and he's only 22. 

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I meant Nketiah as well as a first choice striker. He's got a goal every 3 games this season and he's only 22. 

I think if Nketiah gets a run of games to the end of the season (which he might after the other night) and scores a few goals, we might well try and get him. 

He wasn't really given a run in the side, he's come on as a sub quite a bit.

I don't think Arsenal are going to want to let him go and if they do he's going to want first team football which is something we couldn't guarantee him.

I think their best bet would be to loan him to a lower half PL side.

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

I wouldn't take Lingard purely because he wore fucking gloves on Monday night the fucking ponce.  He would be in a full Eskimo suit at SJP in August!

Remember on Championship Manager back in the day when you tried to find players with as many attribute scores of 20 else you weren't buying them? 

Step forward Wykiki.... :lol:

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

He wasn't really given a run in the side, he's come on as a sub quite a bit.

I don't think Arsenal are going to want to let him go and if they do he's going to want first team football which is something we couldn't guarantee him.

I think their best bet would be to loan him to a lower half PL side.

Aye, so like a Southampton, or an Aston Villa, your run of the mill bottom half team of scrubs. 

Fwiw I’d take Nketiah as back up, he’s a vast improvement on Gayle, and at 22 he’s got plenty time to improve. If we could get him for relatively cheap, along with Tarkowski on a free, those moves strengthen the depth of our squad. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Aye, so like a Southampton, or an Aston Villa, your run of the mill bottom half team of scrubs. 

Fwiw I’d take Nketiah as back up, he’s a vast improvement on Gayle, and at 22 he’s got plenty time to improve. If we could get him for relatively cheap, along with Tarkowski on a free, those moves strengthen the depth of our squad. 

I believe Nketiah is a free agent at the end this season & I expect quite a few clubs to be interested. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Howay said:

With wood, wilson and (for example) nunez, do we need a 4th striker?

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

With wood, wilson and (for example) nunez, do we need a 4th striker?

Personally, I think Wood has this issue of being really shit. Joking aside I’d genuinely look to sell either Wood or Wilson, if we could get say 15m+ for Wilson and replace him with Nketiah (of course in this scenario we’d be buying a Nunez or whoever to be the starter), I think that would be a good move. As much as I like Wilson he can’t seem to sustain a run in the side, and although there’s an argument that less playing time might help my worry would be an injury prone back up can be an unreliable back up. 

Not meaning he is, I just don’t see 30 year old and injury prone Wilson as very good back up which is what he’d be if we spent a load on a new striker, and out of him and Wood he’d be more sellable. Getting in an extra £15m or so to spend and getting a decent 22 year old in on a free would be an adequate swap imo, if we are talking back up roles anyway. 

Chris Wood’s job next season will be to get us through games in the early rounds of the cups and coming on for 15 minutes for a different dimension up front, I reckon. I’d say he’s good enough for that, at least, bless him. Also, Howe has said that we’re not going to see massive upheaval and transition too quickly so I reckon your crop for next year is the new lad, Wilson and Wood, along with another winger who they’ll expect goals from. Throw in a potential youth prospect (Munoz :lol: ) and I think that’s canny tbh. Providing they get the main signing right, like

Also, interesting to hear that they’re potentially interested in a few free transfers. When you see some of the players who will be kicking about on a free, you can see why. Can bolster a few positions with some good players.

Ginter, Kamara, Denayer and Eriksen jump out straight away as a few that would improve us massively at no cost

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Also, interesting to hear that they’re potentially interested in a few free transfers. When you see some of the players who will be kicking about on a free, you can see why. Can bolster a few positions with some good players.

Ginter, Kamara, Denayer and Eriksen jump out straight away as a few that would improve us massively at no cost

What we don't pay in fees to other clubs, we will have to pay for signing on and agents fees.

I really hope we get our youth set up as strong as we can as apart from it being a no brainer financially it would be funny as fuck if we drew the mackems again in the Papa John's Sherpa van full members trophy and our U 23 team beat their first team. :good:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I really hope we get our youth set up as strong as we can as apart from it being a no brainer financially it would be funny as fuck if we drew the mackems again in the Papa John's Sherpa van full members trophy and our U 23 team beat their first team. :good:

I expect them to bring in a load of youth players and fuck off the majority of the current shite in the summer tbh. And then let Ashworth cut the crust off the whole shit sandwich when he arrives.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season