Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Rumour going round that Man United are closely monitoring Jamie Vardy. Leicester are going to have no one left.

That would be hilarious. 

If the players mentioned were to leave, Leicester would clear £250m income for this window, I reckon. 

52 minutes ago, Craig said:

Rumour going round that Man United are closely monitoring Jamie Vardy. Leicester are going to have no one left.

would anyone take vardy on a one or two year deal? 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

would anyone take vardy on a one or two year deal? 

Doesn't scan with how we're going to play.

33 minutes ago, Craig said:

Kiss of death on both those deals then.

Final offer for Paquetá? I didn't think we'd made any offer for him.

Just now, The Fish said:

Doesn't scan with how we're going to play.

why not? he's quite wilson-esque. not as muscular but can play on the shoulder and get in behind with pace

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

why not? he's quite wilson-esque. not as muscular but can play on the shoulder and get in behind with pace

We're going to be playing further up the pitch, so not be looking to hit them on the counter as much. 

Just now, MrBass said:

Not for me, never rated him.

still fast as fuck for his age. has scored more than 16 goals in each of his past 7 seasons in the PL

Just now, The Fish said:

We're going to be playing further up the pitch, so not be looking to hit them on the counter as much. 

you don't think he can still get in behind with his pace? he's a proper fox in the box too. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

you don't think he can still get in behind with his pace? he's a proper fox in the box too. 

Sure, but I think rather than pay a fuck ton for Vardy, lets just sign someone younger. 

3 minutes ago, MrBass said:

Not for me, never rated him.

He has 133 goals and 71 assists in the last eight seasons. I can understand thinking he's s bit of twat, but there's no doubting his quality. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

still fast as fuck for his age. has scored more than 16 goals in each of his past 7 seasons in the PL

I know his stats are reasonable but I've just never regarded him as a top player.

Edited by MrBass
fat fingers

There's no doubting his ability and quality, I just don't see him as the right fit for what Ashworth, Howe et al are trying to achieve here. 

• Like 3

Just now, Craig said:

There's no doubting his ability and quality, I just don't see him as the right fit for what Ashworth, Howe et al are trying to achieve here. 

definitely not a long term solution but if we haven’t signed a striker in the final week and he’s available on a short term deal…

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

definitely not a long term solution but if we haven’t signed a striker in the final week and he’s available on a short term deal…

....it'd be the definitive 'panic buy to appease the pissy-pant brigade. Which I'm fairly confident Ashworth & Howe won't reduce themselves too. 

They'll acquire the right solutions, NOT available solutions. 

25 minutes ago, Craig said:

....it'd be the definitive 'panic buy to appease the pissy-pant brigade. Which I'm fairly confident Ashworth & Howe won't reduce themselves too. 

They'll acquire the right solutions, NOT available solutions. 

Chris Wood was a panic buy. He’s a donkey but we were desperate for a striker and he was available.

I don’t think Vardy would be a panic buy if he were the best available option in the final week of the window because he’s a proven goal scorer over several seasons in the PL and unbelievably his pace hasn’t diminished even though he’s at the end of his career.

I don’t think they want to sign older players. The players we have been linked with are mostly under 25. But they signed Burn and Tripper so they clearly aren’t against buying players the wrong side of 30, if they have the right quality. And Vardy guarantees goals. 

• Jaysus... 1

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Chris Wood was a panic buy. He’s a donkey but we were desperate for a striker and he was available.

I don’t think Vardy would be a panic buy if he were the best available option in the final week of the window because he’s a proven goal scorer over several seasons in the PL and unbelievably his pace hasn’t diminished even though he’s at the end of his career.

I don’t think they want to sign older players. The players we have been linked with are mostly under 25. But they signed Burn and Tripper so they clearly aren’t against buying players the wrong side of 30, if they have the right quality. And Vardy guarantees goals. 

Unless he's featured in their plans before now and then suddenly we turn our attention towards him then by definition, of course he'd be a panic buy. Your assertion that 'he's not a donkey like Chris Wood' won't change that fact :lol:

We've appointed a structure since the takeover that has a strategic and detailed plan of what they want to achieve. If Vardy was within that plan they'd already have been making advances towards him. We've become so accustomed to the 'slap-dash, buy players at the last minute' approach that it's difficult for many to see that we are going to have a much more professional approach. 

As I said above, I can't see Vardy fitting in with their plan, irrespective of the stats behind him. And I disagree with the comment that he 'gurarantees goals'. As much as we'd like to say otherwise, there's never a guarantee of that. I remember Liverpool fans crowing years ago at the signing of Robbie Keane making similar comments about guaranteed goals. Didn't work out that way though. 

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Unless he's featured in their plans before now and then suddenly we turn our attention towards him then by definition, of course he'd be a panic buy. Your assertion that 'he's not a donkey like Chris Wood' won't change that fact :lol:

We've appointed a structure since the takeover that has a strategic and detailed plan of what they want to achieve. If Vardy was within that plan they'd already have been making advances towards him. We've become so accustomed to the 'slap-dash, buy players at the last minute' approach that it's difficult for many to see that we are going to have a much more professional approach. 

As I said above, I can't see Vardy fitting in with their plan, irrespective of the stats behind him. And I disagree with the comment that he 'gurarantees goals'. As much as we'd like to say otherwise, there's never a guarantee of that. I remember Liverpool fans crowing years ago at the signing of Robbie Keane making similar comments about guaranteed goals. Didn't work out that way though. 

well he guaranteed goals in every one of the past 7 seasons, so the odds are in his favour. 

there is a structure and a strategic plan, but they also showed by signing wood that they’re prepared to divert from the plan if needed. 

The difference between wood and Vardy is one of them is top quality. And one of them quite clearly is not.

I’m not suggesting we’re in for him but if there is a fire sale at Leicester and we can get him, I think he would massively improve our squad in a way wood wasn’t capable of doing - even if he’s a short term solution. So I wouldn’t file him under panic buy, no. 

Still think Wood will chip in with a few this season, like. They’ll be scrappy and shite and/or penalties in the League Cup but I don’t think he needs to be written off just yet. He is a bit of a donkey like but Howe will know exactly what to do with him at the very least

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season