Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 minute ago, Howay said:

:lol: They’re after Suarez too apparently (as Gerrard can’t think for himself), plus Arsenal apparently bidding £90m for Osimhen. I don’t want to hear a fucking word about our spending from the press.  

A slight upgrade on when we got Barnes and Rush but basically the same approach by squeaky boy. It'll all end in tears. 

Actually I've just remembered I was listening to the Athletic Podcast. Mark Chapman presenting and he was saying he'd posed the following question: of the teams placed 8th to 13th, which is most likely to break into the top 7 next season? 

The question was notable for two reasons:

Firstly we were 14th at the time, which struck me as fucking weird to intentionally exclude us from the conversation. 

Secondly the consensus view was that Villa are the most likely. Which can only be Gerrard bias at play. 

Anyway he can fuck off. Eddie's mags are coming for a top 4 spot.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

A slight upgrade on when we got Barnes and Rush but basically the same approach by squeaky boy. It'll all end in tears. 

Actually I've just remembered I was listening to the Athletic Podcast. Mark Chapman presenting and he was saying he'd posed the following question: of the teams placed 8th to 13th, which is most likely to break into the top 7 next season? 

The question was notable for two reasons:

Firstly we were 14th at the time, which struck me as fucking weird to intentionally exclude us from the conversation. 

Secondly the consensus view was that Villa are the most likely. Which can only be Gerrard bias at play. 

Anyway he can fuck off. Eddie's mags are coming for a top 4 spot.

:lol: They’ll be calling it a building process, as Villa have another 9 figure spend. If we want Bissouma we’d get him tbh, Villa won’t compete with us - I know a lot of their fans are going mad that they beat us to Kamara but the reality is we didn’t value him at the price they paid, people can say it’s free but it ends up being an £80m or so deal once you factor in all the player/agent fees plus wages. 

I’m calm about this window tbh, I think we will go about our business in a methodical way, we will try for a bunch of players like Ekitike and maybe miss out to top sides - but maybe we sign 1-2 like that, then as KD and others point out we get a couple in like Harrison who are in that Burn/Targett mold. 

• Like 4

The Kamara thing completely passed me by tbh.  Anyone that wants to go to Villa over Newcastle is more than welcome though tbh.  They'll realise soon enough that they fucked up.  Maybe even as early as when the taxi driver picking them up from the airport starts talking. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Would explain us not putting a bid in for Targett. I don't know anything about Lodi but he must be good if we are opting for him over Matty who hasn't put a foot wrong this season 

Diego isn’t a fan and that puts me firmly in team Targett

I like Targett, but Lodi is a 24 year old Brazil international with a league winners medal. When we think of how good some of our lesser players look in Howe’s system it’s exciting to think what more talented ones would be like. If our set up prefers him to Targett I trust them tbh. We had/have an option to sign Targett for £13m, I feel like if we were going to exercise it we would have by now. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: They’ll be calling it a building process, as Villa have another 9 figure spend. If we want Bissouma we’d get him tbh, Villa won’t compete with us - I know a lot of their fans are going mad that they beat us to Kamara but the reality is we didn’t value him at the price they paid, people can say it’s free but it ends up being an £80m or so deal once you factor in all the player/agent fees plus wages. 

I’m calm about this window tbh, I think we will go about our business in a methodical way, we will try for a bunch of players like Ekitike and maybe miss out to top sides - but maybe we sign 1-2 like that, then as KD and others point out we get a couple in like Harrison who are in that Burn/Targett mold. 

Absolutely nailed it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Just looked at that Bissouma as cant say I've seen him play this season. In April he was under investigation for allegedly sexually assault! 

Bit more to it.

Him and another bloke were arrested at a night club in December, Bissouma was then released while enquiries continue and was even allowed to leave the country for the AFCON so it doesn't look as though theres much pointing to him as the wrong un in question.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

On a footballing front anyone know anything about him? 

I've seen him quite a bit and he is very good.

Can control a midfield, always seems to have time reads the game really well. Great at keeping possession and moving the ball forward

Before we got Bruno i was very keen to sign him, but they would seem to me to play much the same position

Brighton's best player

Bit rapey though

:lol: Because he’s been fed bullshit, or he’s just completely made it up. They added in that £20m or so through the share workaround for FFP which meant we could spend that without any FFP hit, so that meant the £60m amount would have meant we were restricted to £40m for FFP :lol:, meanwhile everyone else has been throwing money around like mad. Even Leeds are buying some bloke for 30m from Leipzig without blinking. 

• Like 1

The journalist en Spain that is very close to Atletico owner says Newcastle is thinking to make an offer for Lodi in the region of 40M (euros) and this offer would like to Atletico to sell. 

In Brazil, some papers says Lodi want to go out Atletico because he want to play as a starter to play in the World Cup and Newcastle is more insterested.

7 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

The journalist en Spain that is very close to Atletico owner says Newcastle is thinking to make an offer for Lodi in the region of 40M (euros) and this offer would like to Atletico to sell. 

In Brazil, some papers says Lodi want to go out Atletico because he want to play as a starter to play in the World Cup and Newcastle is more insterested.

40m euros is punchy for a full back. You’ve watched Lodi more than the rest of us. What sort of player is he? More attacking ability than Targett?

18 hours ago, Howay said:

I like Targett, but Lodi is a 24 year old Brazil international with a league winners medal. When we think of how good some of our lesser players look in Howe’s system it’s exciting to think what more talented ones would be like. If our set up prefers him to Targett I trust them tbh. We had/have an option to sign Targett for £13m, I feel like if we were going to exercise it we would have by now. 

But really you have to analize how important have been Lodi in Atletico in this years.

In 2019-2020, his first season in Atleti, he was the only left back in the squad. Really, I have to say, que start the season very well, playing well. Not in defence, but he played in a very advanced position. Atletico played with a lot of midfield that cover the Lodi and Trippier back. Anyway, in somes matches, Simeone had to put Saul as a left back because Lodi was very poor in defence (and really in attack generated almost nothing). He played 3.300 minutes. (To be fair with him, he did an amazing match against Liverpool stoping Salah)

In 2020-2021, the second year, he was starter at first, playing 4-4-2 as a left back. Atletico won almost all the matches, but the defence was very bad. He only played the first 3 matches as a starter, and then, Simeone decided to put Saul in Left back. Some weeks later, Simeone decided to change the system to 3-5-2 and put Carrasco as a left back. When Carrasco isn't in the field, Simeone prefered to put Saul or even Lemar before Lodi. I mean. He was the only natural left back in the Squad... and he was the 4 choice to play as a left back.  (To be fair, he had a couple of brilliant moments, playing in last minutes, when he get the 1-1 in the 37 match week, crucial to win the league). He played 1.600 minutes

In 2021-2022, this year, he have been a bench player. Playing the same or even less than in 2020-2021. Carrasco have been the starter and Lodi the second choice. But in february one thing happened. Carrasco was sent off in Champions League (with 3 match ban) and Lodi played 2 matches against Man United and one agains Man City. He really played as Left Wing in attack and Left back in defence, always helped by Reinildo. He was brilliant (to be fair... he played in the wing agains Lindelof). But you can get an idea of the confidence that Atlético de Madrid has in Lodi when in January, despite selling Trippier, he signed a left back like Reinildo. Lodi played 4-5 matches in a good level, but no more. And he played 1.800 minutes.

If you see him with Brazil, he is always playing against teams with a poor level as Venezuela, Chile or Bolivia in a very advanced position. The match more complicated he had was Argentina, in the American Cup final... And they lost because a Lodi Mistake. 

Really I think Lodi has conditions, overall in attack. He is very fast, he has very good control with the ball, but he barely think with the ball in his foots. In 3 years in Europe really he hasn`t improve. 

If Howe wants and Attacking left back, Ok, Lodi could be fine. He needs to improve anyway. And probably with Joelinton and Bruno covering, he could improve. But I have so much doubts with him. 

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 3

Really helpful analysis Diego - honestly this puts me off him a bit but presumably Howe and his team know most of this anyway. Would be weird to sign someone who wasn't going to significantly improve what we have.

Yeah, I think it’s nice to get background on the player for sure, and Diego obviously knows a lot about the player. But we could level all of that or more at Targett, ask most Villa fans about him even prior to us signing him and it wasn’t glowing reports.

Targett also has never come close to being capped whereas Lodi is competing against Marcelo for caps, if our scouting team and Howe prefer Lodi I’m more than happy with that tbh. I do think there’s a bit of overrating going on with Targett as well by sections of our support, he was dependable but I personally don’t think he was much better than Krafth post January - he was a late loan signing who come in and was solid, but not spectacular. I’d be happy if we signed him and he started for us but as I say if our team rate Lodi higher, which it seems they do as I think they also tried for him in January before loaning Targett, then fingers crossed we can get him. If this was happening under Ashley I’d be gutted and we could safely assume he was looking for a cheaper stop gap, but with this lot we will be looking to improve. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Really helpful analysis Diego - honestly this puts me off him a bit but presumably Howe and his team know most of this anyway. Would be weird to sign someone who wasn't going to significantly improve what we have.

In my opinion, he is a player who has conditions, but I have many doubts that he can improve. Because in three years I haven't seen him do it.

I, as an Atleti fan, would be happy if it was sold for 30 million euros. Because he really hasn't shown anything in three years. And yes, okay, he is a winger with the Brazilian team, etc etc etc. But at Atleti he doesn't count for the coach because he plays three good games and seven bad ones. And I think there are better options.

And obviously also as a Newcastle fan, I would like there to be another option.

Then you never know. Perhaps at Atleti he has not exploded, but Howe can get the most out of him.

Yesterday I read, I don't remember where, that Howe wants a very deep side and that he attacks a lot. Lodi is that player. He needs to get better at decision making and be more calm. So he maybe he can have room. I already said, I think that with Bruno as a pivot and Joelinton as a midfielder, they can help him a lot in defense. If we buy a left-footed centre-back who is quick and hard-hitting and helps him close his flank, Lodi will be a good fit for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Howay said:

Yeah, I think it’s nice to get background on the player for sure, and Diego obviously knows a lot about the player. But we could level all of that or more at Targett, ask most Villa fans about him even prior to us signing him and it wasn’t glowing reports.

Targett also has never come close to being capped whereas Lodi is competing against Marcelo for caps, if our scouting team and Howe prefer Lodi I’m more than happy with that tbh. I do think there’s a bit of overrating going on with Targett as well by sections of our support, he was dependable but I personally don’t think he was much better than Krafth post January - he was a late loan signing who come in and was solid, but not spectacular. I’d be happy if we signed him and he started for us but as I say if our team rate Lodi higher, which it seems they do as I think they also tried for him in January before loaning Targett, then fingers crossed we can get him. If this was happening under Ashley I’d be gutted and we could safely assume he was looking for a cheaper stop gap, but with this lot we will be looking to improve. 

Agree in all your comment. 

Just one correction. 

Marcelo is an ex player. Lodi really competes against Alex Telles and Alex Sandro. Marcelo and Filipe Luis are past. Marcelo last Brazil cap was in 2018

In my opinion, Lodi has reached the national team because he signed for a 'big' team. Those things happen a lot. He was a player who had never played with the U17, U20 or U23. And suddenly, he signed the Atleti, and they summoned him with the absolute.

He has benefited a bit from the fact that Alex Telles was not a starter in Brazil and that the coach had some problem with Alex Sandro.

I really like Caio Henrique, who is a midfielder turned left back.

He was owned by Atleti (always loaned to Brazilian teams) but he sold it just the year he signed Lodi.

Curiosities, Caio was the starting left back for Brazil U23. And instead Lodi nothing... Atleti preferred Lodi over Caio.

Brazil named them both for the U23 team, to play the pre-Olympic (where Caio Henrique was going to be the starter), but since it was a competition not under FIFA regulations, Atlético refused to allow Lodi to leave with Brazil U23. This made the player angry, because it happened twice. So Brazil, to win the battle against Atlético, decided to call up Lodi with the senior team (and since they were already FIFA matches, Atlético could not refuse).

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season