Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

didn't edwards come out with some shit about us only having 50m to spend in january too, for us only to then spend almost double that?

the pragmatic ambition rather than superstar signings is good to hear. it worked in january. i would be very happy to see a smilar budget spent and the same strategy we used to identify players. four out of the five signings have been excellent. there's only wood who has disappointed in terms of goals scored and we were desperate when we signed him

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

didn't edwards come out with some shit about us only having 50m to spend in january too, for us only to then spend almost double that?

That was Caulkin, and I think at the time of publication it was accurate. But then things got desperate. 

I'm not remotely worried about this story though. They'd be absolute idiots to say "we're coming to the table with a £200m summer budget" because of the message it sends any club that we're trying to buy from. 

I fully expect us to spend north of £60m. 

Even if we don't though, that would be £150m from two windows, which would still be pretty ambitious with more to come. 

• Like 4

Edwards has lost any inside track on information since his bacon sarnie buddy was shipped out.  This story may turn out to be roughly correct as it doesn't take a genius to understand that we do have to take FFP into account but very few people were expecting us to suddenly be in the market for Neymar and Mbappe despite what some of the southern press would like to make people believe.  An outlay of around £60m along with additional funds from sales could easily add three £25m-£30m players to the squad which could improve us massively.  Then there's free transfers on top of that.  Of course the big difference now as oppose to the last 15 years is that if we have a budget of £60m it won't also include the wages and other fees meaning that we can only afford one £20m player.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I fully expect us to spend north of £60m. 

Not that I'm expecting us to start chucking silly money around, but I think we'll probably spend considerably more than that give we spent £90m in January which is notorious for slow business. 

Be interesting to see if they go for a statement signing as well or whether we develop the squad with solid dependable quality PL-proven players.

• Like 1

No one knows tbh, they’re not telling journalists that type of thing what on earth would be the point? Edwards is also an arrogant, clueless prick. 

If we spent that then that’s what we spend anyway, provided it’s spent well it’s a lot of investment still. I will say, from what I’ve heard with regard to targets there’s no chance it’s true. The message was and is we will spend what we need, there’s not some figure people are being told. Like I say take it or leave it, the bloke I know isn’t even told these things never mind fucking Luke Edwards :lol:.

The £50m thing was Edwards too btw, and he more doggedly stuck to it and used it to have a pop at Newcastle fans. I highly doubt the £50m was ever the plan, and again if it was it’s not being divulged to journalists unless it’s simply a tactic to deflate expectations on what we will spend in the market. 

We're not going to be signing superstars because this is a longer term project, they've said as much. I like what they've done with the team so far on just £90m - if £60m more is in line with that in terms of return on investment, then that's fine by me.

• Like 1

I don’t want superstar signings. Anyone at the level of ‘superstar’ agreeing to come to Newcastle at the moment would be doing it entirely for the money. And it’s reassuring to hear that they’re not going to pay anyone £300k pw. 4 signings of the quality of Trippier would have us pushing for European football. Getting them though is the hard part.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

the pragmatic ambition rather than superstar signings is good to hear. it worked in january. i would be very happy to see a smilar budget spent and a the same strategy we used to identify players. four out of the five signings have been excellent. there's only wood who has disappointed in terms of goals scored and we were desperate when we signed him

Aye Wood was a make do, rather than a make waves signing.

Thing with Edwards' piece that seems be overlooked is that this is the projection as things stand. IF we were to announce a shirt sponsor for £10m a year, plus a sleeve sponsor for £2m, an official airline partner, training ground sponsor, academy sponsor and so on. We could dramatically widen the FFP wiggle room and spend more than the suggested £60m. 

Plus funds raised by player sales, as there's surely only a handful of players that are definitely staying around. Bruno, Burn, Trippier... ASM, Joelinton?

• Like 4

Given the way he spoke about Staveley in particular when it looked like the deal was dead, Edwards has next to no chance of getting the inside track. 

• Like 3

If anyone actually thought to listen to this gimp Edwards, here’s his tweet supporting his shite article which gives good insight into why he wrote it:

His comments in the replies are basically the same old “the squad is bloated so they need to raise money through player sales” :lol: he said the same in January btw before we simply unregistered shite like Clark and Hendrick. Having crap players on the books won’t fucking hold back their plans :lol:

Not saying they will spend more, but there’s no evidence to support his bullshit. In addition to what we got they wanted Botman and Carlos (it wasn’t a one or the other thing), Etikite, Lingard, and bid money for other left backs - Edwards is a clueless fuckwit and rather than actually work to be good at his job he has decided to just be a wum. I’m not bothered what we spend tbh, I trust the new owners to buy well now but I do know I don’t trust a word mr nee friends writes. 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 5
  • Jaysus... 1

40 minutes ago, Howay said:

I

His comments in the replies are basically the same old “the squad is bloated so they need to raise money through player sales” :lol: he said the same in January btw before we simply unregistered shite like Clark and Hendrick. Having crap players on the books won’t fucking hold back their plans :lol:

Do you...do you think he knows there was a takeover?

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

:lol: His next article is going to be “how Henry Mauriss would have DEFINITELY spent more than the Saudis”

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, ewerk said:

I don’t want superstar signings. Anyone at the level of ‘superstar’ agreeing to come to Newcastle at the moment would be doing it entirely for the money. And it’s reassuring to hear that they’re not going to pay anyone £300k pw. 4 signings of the quality of Trippier would have us pushing for European football. Getting them though is the hard part.

Michael Owen: A beacon of hope at Newcastle not seen since - Planet Football

Exactly

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

No, the takeover is dead and people should move on and realise that Staveley is just a time waster who won’t get things done…

How is Henry Mauriss, did you say?

Edited by Isegrim
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Dougle said:

Exactly

You couldn't accuse Owen of lying when he claims he can still fit into kit from his playing days. Not referring to hospital gowns there either.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Dougle said:

Exactly

Just noticed Gemmill on the right there, struggling to control his Sourness boner and waiting for the right moment to mention Owen’s terrible xG stats. 

• Haha 3

Fucking hell, even by Edwards’ pissed-up, tragic standards that Tweet is one sad little man howling into the void. I honestly think he’ll talk himself out of what should be an absolute dream job for any sports journalist, ie covering  us over the next decade or so. It’s such odd behaviour. 

• Like 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season