Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Bit of googling says Andrade is generally reliable.

No doubt there would be competition for him but perhaps getting in early when some other clubs are still figuring out their positions for summer might be great for us.

The summers "trippier" signing, big player, sewn up early and setting the tone for the rest of the window.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Bit of googling says Andrade is generally reliable.

No doubt there would be competition for him but perhaps getting in early when some other clubs are still figuring out their positions for summer might be great for us.

The summers "trippier" signing, big player, sewn up early and setting the tone for the rest of the window.

Absolutely, plus that will mean we've signed a top class defender, midfielder and forward since the takeover with the summer only just starting. A spine to build a team across. 

Kalvin Phillips apparently has a 25 million release clause if Leeds go down.

Should definitely be in for him at that price and you'd think we'd be in with a good shout of getting him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aimaad22 said:

How does he fit in alongside Bruno and Joelinton? Or are we moving Joe along. Don't see Howe playing him in an advanced position permanently next season.

This would do

————Bruno—-Kalvin Phillips 

——-Raphina—Paqueta——ASM

———————Nunez

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

This would do

——-Raphina—Paqueta——ASM

———————Nunez

Harsh on big Joe like. I'd rather we spent that money on replacing ASM if you have someone of Nunez's finishing quality upfront. 

Not that Philips wouldn't be a good signing, just think that position might be a lower priority. 

45 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

This would do

——-Raphina—Paqueta——ASM

———————Nunez

Leaving in ASM is just a no

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

How does he fit in alongside Bruno and Joelinton? Or are we moving Joe along. Don't see Howe playing him in an advanced position permanently next season.

Perfectly imo, he takes Shelveys slot in the midfield 3.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Perfectly imo, he takes Shelveys slot in the midfield 3.

Going by Howe's comments on how he'd like us to play in the future my guess is we'll look for a more attack minded midfielder to replace Shelvey. 

--------------Joelinton---------Bruno------

--Fraser upgrade----------Shelvey upgrade(Paqueta?)--------ASM upgrade----

As opposed to something like:

--------Joelinton------Bruno------Philips

--Fraser upgrade------------------ASM upgrade----

Wow can't remember the last time I drew one of these formations here..

Edited by aimaad22

2 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

Going by Howe's comments on how he'd like us to play in the future my guess is we'll look for a more attack minded midfielder to replace Shelvey. 

--------------Joelinton---------Bruno------

--Fraser upgrade----------Shelvey upgrade(Paqueta?)--------ASM upgrade----

As opposed to something like:

--------Joelinton------Bruno------Philips

--Fraser upgrade------------------ASM upgrade----

Wow can't remember the last time I drew one of these formations here..

I see it more as getting a quality player in with a release clause the represents a bargain. 

I also can't see us being able go from 433 this season to 4231 next season, I think its a step too far, I think we'll likely see both in which case if you get Phillips in, you have a trio in Bruno, him and joelinton who can play in either of the two midfield setups, if you then add a number 10 who is able to play as a CM as well to that mix you have 4 players competing for three spots that have a lot of interchangeability regardless of which of the two systems is in play.

9 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

I think that Bruno might be better suited in the PL as the most advanced of the midfield 3 (I realise you were in about Joelinton in the forward role he’s played recently) which leaves room for Joelinton and Kalvin Phillips. Also, I know it’s difficult given the mindset of the past 15 years or so but we need to think beyond having a more or less set XI when everyone is fit. Imagine having a squad with depth. Crazy, eh? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

we need to think beyond having a more or less set XI when everyone is fit. Imagine having a squad with depth. Crazy, eh? 

You're absolutely right, but it's a concept that most of us are going to need to take time to get our head around. It's not just the past 15 years, I don't think we've EVER had a squad with depth the way Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool have had in recent years.

• Like 5

Imagine a midfield rotation of: 

Bruno, Kalvin Philips, Paquetta, Joelinton, Shelvey, Willock

instead of fearing an injury in case you have to rely on the likes of Hendrick, Hayden or Longstaff 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

This would do

——-Raphina—Paqueta——ASM

———————Nunez

Went to find a line up selector thingy and first hit was "Chosen 11". Their suggested default for Newcastle United is;

image.png.ff323c9ac9b66d4cdfed5080e0170de9.png

Dunno what's funnier, how out of date it is with Anita, Gouffran and Diame in there. Or how 7 of those out of date players are still at the fucking club?

Anyway, I'd go 

image.thumb.png.2990c10b596fbb994f719420d6372355.png

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Went to find a line up selector thingy and first hit was "Chosen 11". Their suggested default for Newcastle United is;

image.png.ff323c9ac9b66d4cdfed5080e0170de9.png

Dunno what's funnier, how out of date it is with Anita, Gouffran and Diame in there. Or how 7 of those out of date players are still at the fucking club?

Anyway, I'd go 

image.thumb.png.2990c10b596fbb994f719420d6372355.png

this is going to be a fun summer :lol: 

it'll be interesting to compare this with how our fantasy formations look at the end of the window. 

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we're going to be linked with every cunt going, let's face it 

I would rather shag my own arse with my own chopped off cock.

• Haha 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season