Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You have to imagine we that FFP is an issue. In 20/21 we had a loss of £13.6m. Since then we've spent about £200m on transfers and added about £33m per year to the wage bill (both fag packet calculations). Given that FFP only allows us to lose £53m over a three year period and we've yet to add any major commercial deals I'd say we don't have a huge amount to blow in a tough January window.

Now that £200m will be amortised over the duration of the player contracts so it doesn't immediately hit FFP and the Saudis have put in an additional £74m in equity so there will be some wiggle room but I get the feeling that any signings made this window will be out of necessity (i.e. injuries) or because the deal represents good value (which are difficult to find in January).

I saw that the owners had sold another wedge of shares, but only about £14m. 

What could that possibly be about?

How is Chelsea in for every fucking player? :lol: 

Also, the loan solution is a good shout, but I wonder how willing other clubs are to loan us their players. We've seen ManU show a willingness to fuck us around with Lingard, although could've done a better job by actually loaning us the player if their intention was to mess us around. Anyway, I think the point remains that we would struggle to bring in players on loan as clubs we'd likely prefer to do business with perceive us as a threat to them either now or very very soon.

6 minutes ago, MrBass said:

I thought Fish said Perrone had been signed by Man City?

To be fair, Casey's 'scoop' was before Perrone moved to Man city and he just said 'contact had been made'.

1 hour ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Broke all the german youth league goal records, 18, playing for senior german team, contract running out this summer

:wank::wank::wank:

He’s probably as old as Obafemi Martins though.

There is nothing in the German press indicating a transfer to Newcastle. The licsl rag (WAZ) is still reckoning that he is likely to sign a new contract even though the negotiations are difficult and the club and the player haven’t agreed terms so far.

4 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

He’s probably as old as Obafemi Martins though.

There is nothing in the German press indicating a transfer to Newcastle. The licsl rag (WAZ) is still reckoning that he is likely to sign a new contract even though the negotiations are difficult and the club and the player haven’t agreed terms so far.

Reported

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

It’s sometimes easy to forget, given the amazing progress made and the performances this season, where we were 12 months ago. I don’t just mean the league position (although that’s a remarkable turnaround), just look at the difference in the personnel. Obviously there’s loads still to be done etc but we’ve barely started this journey / transformation of the club 

• Like 6

Just now, Alex said:

It’s sometimes easy to forget, given the amazing progress made and the performances this season, where we were 12 months ago. I don’t just mean the league position (although that’s a remarkable turnaround), just look at the difference in the personnel. Obviously there’s loads still to be done etc but we’ve barely started this journey / transformation of the club 

fucking class isn't it. reminds me of the season we were promoted under keegan and the first season back in the top flight. those were by far the most exciting part of the ride with a manager who caught the imagination and the feeling that we were aiming for the very top. i suspect we'll look back on these years in the same way in the future - there's just the same sense of optimism that hasn't existed around the club for so long, and the speed of change is remarkable. it's hard not to get carried away - fucking mint 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I dont speak no german mate but

"If you see him in pictures or in games, he fits right in with the other kids. Normal height, normal muscular build, and no facial hair. In the U-17 group photo he even looks a lot younger than everyone else. Therefore, I don't believe the rumors. I just think that he is so good that people start making shit up to justify why he is better than the players on their own team."

The other thing about the dearth of depth is down to the great point AH has made a couple of times about Ashley and not investing in the academy. I’ve said for years that, along with the commercial revenue stagnation, it gives the absolute lie to the narrative about the previous owner running the club sustainably. You can’t fix these things over night. I’m impatient too as a fan but I do get the reticence from the people running things about trying to change too much too quickly. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

The other thing about the dearth of depth is down to the great point AH has made a couple of times about Ashley and not investing in the academy. I’ve said for years that, along with the commercial revenue stagnation, it gives the absolute lie to the narrative about the previous owner running the club sustainably. You can’t fix these things over night. I’m impatient too as a fan but I do get the reticence from the people running things about trying to change too much too quickly. 

It very much was buy them cheap with a view to selling them on for a profit. He had no interest in developing the academy because the chance of returns were pretty shit from a financial perspective.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Craig said:

It very much was buy them cheap with a view to selling them on for a profit. He had no interest in developing the academy because the chance of returns were pretty shit from a financial perspective.

I think with investment you can make academies self sustaining and probably profitable. You can make a canny bit of money from selling a player to a championship side every now and then even if they aren’t PL standard. The ‘problem’ is Ashley just wanted a quick buck. He wasn’t interested in a 5 year plan to revamp the setup because his model was just ‘let’s see if we can scrape through another season spending as little as possible’. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

I 100% believe that he thought that. But honestly, I think that a well financed, well staffed academy is a production line of saleable assets. Sure, few of them are going to go for tens of millions of pounds, but plenty will go for north of a hundred grand. 

If you can sell 2-3 young lads to Championship clubs for a total of around £1m you've surely covered the running costs of the club, plus lads who go for sub £100k to lower leagues and Scotland. You'll occasionally get some who'll go for millions and rarely one or two that'll either be good enough to make part of the team going forward, or sell for tens of millions to an elite club. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think with investment you can make academies self sustaining and probably profitable. You can make a canny bit of money from selling a player to a championship side every now and then even if they aren’t PL standard. The ‘problem’ is Ashley just wanted a quick buck. He wasn’t interested in a 5 year plan to revamp the setup because his model was just ‘let’s see if we can scrape through another season spending as little as possible’. 

Me and Alex dropping knowledge.

• Haha 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season