Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

11 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Too many years of him not giving a fuck out weighs the fact he finally decided to put some effort in for Eddie.

there’s no way we’d be getting rid of him unless we had a replacement lined up 

• Like 2

We've probably gone from definitely waiting till summer for main target(s) to putting extra effort in after Shelvey got injured to now going shit or bust in this window. 

Might work out for the best. 

You'd imagine if we can't get anyone Shelvey will be staying. With regards to availability of players we like I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Chelsea lads we want and Chelsea have told us to do one. Plus if it's Gallagher specifically he seems to want to stay at Chelsea.  

Shame to see the back of Shelvey, purely because he has been decent since the takeover when fit and his actual fitness seemed to have ramped up several notches at the end of last season. What I thought was going to be a standout year for him has been finished by injury and now this contract extension clause which will mean we won't play him anymore. He might as well go to Forest where he will get game time. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m one of those who feels a bit sorry for Shelvey. I’ve liked his attitude since the takeover. Shame we didn’t see more of it during the rest of his time here. There are players I’d get rid of before him but…

£10m for a player who is:

- one of our higher earners

- has often flattered to deceive

- coming towards the end of his career

- basically a squad player now

- has six months on his contract
- No brainier

No brainier  

:good: 

Given that Chelsea are supposedly trying hard for Enzo Fernandez off Benfica, and Benfica are playing hardball, it could be that us loaning a player off them depends on whether Chelsea manage to submit an offer they can't refuse. Chelsea may not want to strengthen us, but if there's a lack of options they may have to offload a player to us for FFP purposes if Fernandez signs. 

Nottingham Forest, best club in the world in my books. They are like Cash Converters.

They have signed Lodi and Wood. And they are going to sign Felipe Monteiro and Shelvey. 

I Chose believe.

1780891600_descarga(1).jpg.1d3523afe2f4bb70803478e4a3cf6ee9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Sheff Utd are owned by a Saudi Prince, so auld MBS might get on the blower and threaten him with a trip to a hotel for a few months, like when Bin Salman rounded up a few Princes and imprisoned them until they submitted to his rule. I was going to include a smiley face at the end of that previous statement but as it went along it no longer seemed appropriate 😂 On a side note, for the deal to make sense for Sheffield United it would need to be a large loan fee and an obligation to buy I'd imagine. Otherwise why would you just loan arguably your best player when you are trying to get promoted, you know apart from the Saudi connection as mentioned. When Sheff Utd were in the PL I do recall plenty of pundits waxing lyrical about Berge. A defensive mid with a bit of class and who can chip in with the odd goal. He's also like 6'4 so him Joelinton could absolutely dominate for us. 

Edited by Polarboy

I would really like to see José Cifuentes in the Premier League. He is the player who is a substitute for Caicedo in Ecuador. He plays in MLS and is a tremendously physically fit player. If he improves his ball handling a little, he is a boy who can remind us of the good years of Tioté or Sissoko. I would say that he has more ceiling than them. And I don't think he's very expensive.

The only reason Sheff Utd are selling barge is because they are on a transfer embargo due to unpaid fees. They need the cash to pay off their transfer debts so definitely won't be loaning him out.

The Sheff Utd forum reckons he's in their top 5 best players, along with Oli Mcburnie. Doesn't fill me with confidence 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The only reason Sheff Utd are selling barge is because they are on a transfer embargo due to unpaid fees. They need the cash to pay off their transfer debts so definitely won't be loaning him out.

The Sheff Utd forum reckons he's in their top 5 best players, along with Oli Mcburnie. Doesn't fill me with confidence 

Berge is highly rated and seen as a much better player than Championship level. He'll be 25 next month so he's still fairly young as well. There was talk that Liverpool were interested recently, and as I said on the previous page I distinctly remember him getting a lot of praise last time Sheff Utd were in the PL. Berge could be a very useful player for us, if not our number one choice for the defensive midfield role. He'd certainly provide very decent competition to whoever we do eventually get for that position. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season