Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

10 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Fucking CN must be on his 3rd bottle of malbec tonight 

Always had him down as a pino grigiot man

9 hours ago, Howay said:

I’ll be absolutely buzzing for us to finally be rid of Jonjo fucking Shelvey. I’m confused by comments regarding his attitude, the bloke is an absolute prick and took the piss for 8 fucking years I couldn’t give a flying fuck if he finally decided to start turning up once a manager held him accountable. If it’s true we got 10m for the cunt we’ve absolute rinsed Forest this window. They can enjoy him kicking 40 yard passes out to touch while he has 3 better options on. 

I’m going to defend him. He was our best player the season we came back up under Rafa. One of our best players while Rafa was manager full stop tbf, and the one who could play a forward pass in a negative team. 

I agree about his attitude - it’s the reason he ended up at playing for Ashley’s Newcastle  instead of making at Liverpool. And he was pretty rotten while Bruce was in charge, but then who wasn’t? It’ll always be a question of what if with him. It’s a short career and he’ll probably look back and reflect that he wasted a lot of it. 

It’s a shame because he is blessed with ability that not a lot of players have -  he is one of the best passers of the ball I’ve ever seen play for us - but I agree he lacked the desire to make it as a top player. I feel a bit for him because I think he can see where the club is going and he busted a gut to raise his game so he could be part of it. Last season was his best ever for us. Shame for him personally that in the end it was too little, too late. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Always had him down as a pino grigiot man

I’m going to defend him. He was our best player the season we came back up under Rafa. One of our best players while Rafa was manager full stop tbf, and the one who could play a forward pass in a negative team. 

I agree about his attitude - it’s the reason he ended up at playing for Ashley’s Newcastle  instead of making at Liverpool. And he was pretty rotten while Bruce was in charge, but then who wasn’t? It’ll always be a question of what if with him. It’s a short career and he’ll probably look back and reflect that he wasted a lot of it. 

It’s a shame because he is blessed with ability that not a lot of players have -  he is one of the best passers of the ball I’ve ever seen play for us - but I agree he lacked the desire to make it as a top player. I feel a bit for him because I think he can see where the club is going and he busted a gut to raise his game so he could be part of it. Last season was his best ever for us. Shame for him personally that in the end it was too little, too late. 

My feelings too.  (Not the wine). Shame he got that injury as it could have been a great season for him. He looked on form and fit and buzzing to go.

• Like 4

Aye. I’m Pro-Shelvey as well. He would have been in first choice midfield this season but for that bad injury. 

The transfer makes sense for both.  He’ll get 3 years at Forest whereas he’d only be on another year here as a bit part player

He has great ability but lacks pace and closing down which this team now requires. Ive also never seen a player so head and shoulders above - when he played in the championship. Good luck to him.

• Like 5

As per Gloomy and Wyki was looking forward to see how he could fit in. He was the fittest he had ever been and genuinely motivated to earn a spot in the team. On some level he knew that this was his chance to go out on a high so he was doing all he could to make the most of it including being positionally more diligent, defensively more active and generally more disciplined, the three biggest criticisms that have plagued his career.

He matured a few seasons too late to be honest. I thought he had triggered his extension here, but that must not be the case. Howe believed in him and was all set to bring him back into the rotation before his second injury. Perhaps now Shelvey sees Longstaff embedded and Gordon and Isak taking another forward/midfield position making it harder for him to crack a spot. If he doesn't go he's the kind of depth we should keep IMO, someone different and skilled who could potentially offer a lot of value in training.

• Like 4

I think he’d have been usurped as a first team player anyway as he lacks the physical attributes needed for the way Howe wants to play anyway. And his technical ability (although very good) doesn’t make up for that. Apart from the one half season before the Russia World Cup I haven’t been impressed with him. He’s one of those who strikes a lovely looking 60 yard pass to a team mate in a position no better than the one he was in that makes people in the crowd applaud. If we can get rid and command a fee I’ll be delighted. He’s bang average (at best) and I’d say the same about his attitude for most of his time here. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OTF said:

As per Gloomy and Wyki was looking forward to see how he could fit in. He was the fittest he had ever been and genuinely motivated to earn a spot in the team. On some level he knew that this was his chance to go out on a high so he was doing all he could to make the most of it including being positionally more diligent, defensively more active and generally more disciplined, the three biggest criticisms that have plagued his career.

He matured a few seasons too late to be honest. I thought he had triggered his extension here, but that must not be the case. Howe believed in him and was all set to bring him back into the rotation before his second injury. Perhaps now Shelvey sees Longstaff embedded and Gordon and Isak taking another forward/midfield position making it harder for him to crack a spot. If he doesn't go he's the kind of depth we should keep IMO, someone different and skilled who could potentially offer a lot of value in training.

I would be happy to keep him as a squad player. Howe seems to rate him, which is the only thing that matters really, but is also why they must have a replacement lined up. There’s no way they’re letting him go

and leaving a hole in the squad 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I would be happy to keep him as a squad player. Howe seems to rate him, which is the only thing that matters really, but is also why they must have a replacement lined up. There’s no way they’re letting him go

and leaving a hole in the squad 

Possibly this massive Norwegian from Sheffield United on loan initially. That way if he works they can keep him or else they can stick with their original plans for the summer.

He's reported to be on £70k per week. That's too much for what will be a squad player. There's no doubt he's talented but far too often the application simply wasn't there. He can come in and graft for a while but eventually he always returns to form. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, OTF said:

Possibly this massive Norwegian from Sheffield United on loan initially. That way if he works they can keep him or else they can stick with their original plans for the summer.

Considering the Blades have a transfer embargo until they pay what they owe, there is no way in hell it will be a loan, we just need to throw in Fraser or Lascelles to bring the cash payment down.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

He's reported to be on £70k per week. That's too much for what will be a squad player. There's no doubt he's talented but far too often the application simply wasn't there. He can come in and graft for a while but eventually he always returns to form. 

That's the big thing swinging it for me about him leaving. The big wage he is taking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Considering the Blades have a transfer embargo until they pay what they owe, there is no way in hell it will be a loan, we just need to throw in Fraser or Lascelles to bring the cash payment down.

Doesn't their embargo mean they can't bring in any new players themselves?

3 minutes ago, OTF said:

Doesn't their embargo mean they can't bring in any new players themselves?

Only a guess but I would say players included in deals would be okay.

Plus once they've covered their debts won't they be able to bring in new players?

4 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Only a guess but I would say players included in deals would be okay.

Plus once they've covered their debts won't they be able to bring in new players?

Think it currently prevents them from registering any new players. Only a day and a bit to go in the window so don't expect they'd sort things out that quickly with all the moving parts involved.

Regarding his attitude, I can totally understand not giving a fuck about playing or busting a gut to be fit for the Ashley version of NUFC. The club was rotten to its core. Anyone ever worked somewhere like that, cos I have and you simply do not give a fuck about anything by the end of it. 

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

Just now, OTF said:

Think it currently prevents them from registering any new players. Only a day and a bit to go in the window so don't expect they'd sort things out that quickly with all the moving parts involved.

From the Beeb:

Championship promotion-chasers Sheffield United have been placed under a transfer embargo by the English Football League.

The move relates to a breach of rule 52.2.3, which concerns the default of payments to another club.

The EFL has not specified which club or player the matter relates to.

However, the move means the Blades cannot register a player "without the written prior consent of the league" until the overdue payment is made.

The South Yorkshire side said in a statement: "Club officials remain in constant dialogue with relevant stakeholders, with the aim of working to a resolution early next week.

"The club would like to thank the EFL for its assistance and taking into account a number of unique circumstances.

"The board of directors would like to assure supporters that promotion to the Premier League remains the primary objective this season and will continue to support Paul Heckingbottom and the team."

Sheffield United are second in the Championship, five points behind leaders Burnley but 11 ahead of third-placed Watford.

They still receive parachute payments following their relegation from the Premier League in 2021.

In their most recent financial statement, to June 2021, published on 5 April 2022, Sheffield United owed £18.25m in outstanding transfer payments, with £2.49m owed to the club.

The club's owner Prince Abdullah has been in talks with an unnamed buyer over a potential takeover, which manager Paul Heckingbottom said had been impacting on their January transfer plans.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64347567

If it is all handled quickly they could be okay to get Fraser registered in time,

1 minute ago, sammynb said:

From the Beeb:

If it is all handled quickly they could be okay to get Fraser registered in time,

Here's hoping.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Regarding his attitude, I can totally understand not giving a fuck about playing or busting a gut to be fit for the Ashley version of NUFC. The club was rotten to its core. Anyone ever worked somewhere like that, cos I have and you simply do not give a fuck about anything by the end of it. 

Um. no ginger pubes. If he was any good/driven, he would've transferred the fuck out of Dodge.

The fact he was happy to do what he did and just take the pay and not give a fuck says more about him than his small amount of effort for wor Eddie.

Edited by sammynb
  • Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season