Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Surely makes it more likely Gallagher is surplus to requirements? 

I appreciated Howe doesn't want to be left short in midfield, but if a team of willing to take a high earning, non playing squad member off our hands then it's a no brainer

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I appreciated Howe doesn't want to be left short in midfield, but if a team of willing to take a high earning, non playing squad member off our hands then it's a no brainer

Aye I think he's the most sensible option. Give us an option to buy too.  He certainly fits the Howe mould.

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

People are saying he’ll be a miss but I can’t remember the last time he kicked a ball :lol: 

• Like 1

gallagher is great, but he's quite similar to willock and joelinton, isn't he? a sort of ball-carrying midfielder with loads of energy who will progress the ball up field.

being super greedy, i'd like us to sign either a player with the positional discipline to play the DM role, but who can also spray the ball around, such as jorginho  - he is probably a better upgrade on shelvey in that sense, though i dunno if he has the legs to play howe's way. 

the other area where we're light in midfield is the door-opening department, which is why maddison would be such a good buy. we are only an injury to bruno away from our CM looking quite one dimensional.

whatever happens, transfer windows are a good crack these days, aren't they?

• Like 2

he had the odd decent match for us but for me shelvey's time here will forever be tainted by clarko turning with a whole host of heat maps, graphs, pie charts, algebra equations etc hell bent on convincing everyone that not only was he the best midfielder newcastle had ever had but possibly in the entire world.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

he had the odd decent match for us but for me shelvey's time here will forever be tainted by clarko turning with a whole host of heat maps, graphs, pie charts, algebra equations etc hell bent on convincing everyone that not only was he the best midfielder newcastle had ever had but possibly in the entire world.

I forgot about him - was he the Mr Logic weirdo? :lol:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He's closer to Longstaff and Willock than he is to an actual out and out DM. 

Sander Berge Football Statistics | WhoScored.com

and for the numerate among us

Yes but he's comfortable playing further back and sitting as well. Billy Wilder has described him as the complete midfielder. You'd imagine Howe wants him to play that role Shelvey was when he was in the team, as in sit and shield the back four but also pick a pass to start off attacks. Berge is also far more athletic than Shelvey so he could be a mix of him and Diame and progress the ball up the pitch as well. A lot of ifs though obviously. We need to actually sign him first if he's our number one target to replace Shelvey till the end of the season at least.

19 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Yes but he's comfortable playing further back and sitting as well. Billy Wilder has described him as the complete midfielder. You'd imagine Howe wants him to play that role Shelvey was when he was in the team, as in sit and shield the back four but also pick a pass to start off attacks. Berge is also far more athletic than Shelvey so he could be a mix of him and Diame and progress the ball up the pitch as well. A lot of ifs though obviously. We need to actually sign him first if he's our number one target to replace Shelvey till the end of the season at least.

I take your point. I think my issue is that he hasn't played DM for a couple of seasons now. A loan deal is more likely than a permanent transfer because Sheffield still have a transfer embargo, I guess. 

I dunno, I'm still hankering for a young Cheik Tiote/David Batty type. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Will Wor Eddie want business concluded today, so he can concentrate on the game tomorrow? 

With our setup these days I should imagine he has input but the mechanics of processing a transfer will be firmly on Ashworth's and Nickson's plates. 

Howe will be totally focused on preparing for the game.

• Like 3

Just now, Craig said:

With our setup these days I should imagine he has input but the mechanics of processing a transfer will be firmly on Ashworth's and Nickson's plates. 

Howe will be totally focused on preparing for the game.

Aye good point that.

Was just thinking that us getting Berge on a loan might actually make sense for all parties. It would get who I presume is their biggest wage earner off their books, but it would also give them the option of keeping him should they get promoted this season. Add in a hefty loan fee and we could be in business. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season