Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Isak Wilson Miggy

Joe Longy Joe

Usual 4 at the back 

Only issue is that we've only got Anderson as a CM as back up, the rest - ASM, Gordon, Murphy, Ritchie are all wingers. 

Seen Danny Mills say Bruno's straight red was a disgrace because he wasn't actually out of control in the tackle. I think by the letter of the law you have to be out of control for it to be deemed dangerous, or obviously that's what Mills is implying. Then again it still could have broken the players ankle, but I suppose the weird way he controlled it made it so Bruno was far more likely to make contact. It would be amazing if we could get it reduced to a second yellow, but I won't be holding my breath. If memory serves you also run the risk of games being added to the suspension if you bring forward what they deem to be an unwarranted challenge to said decision. 

Edited by Polarboy

35 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Think Isak misses through concussion protocol.

ASM may just get the nod due to him knowing our system.  He knows what Eddie wants him to do, just doesn't do it as he's a lazy cunt. 

ASM may know the system, but he seems reluctant to put it in practice, the tart.

Could you play Isak as a 10 to make up for the loss of Bruno’s creativity? With Joelinton and Longstaff playing as two more holding type players to make up for that? Just slightly tweaking the tried and tested formula. It would need a grafter in both the wide roles though 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

That’s fine, if you were being reasonable and making constructive criticism. Rather than arguing this window has been disastrous. Or insisting a player who’s contributed next to fuck all should be starting in a side that’s got to a cup final and to 3rd in the league mostly without him. Fair enough though, you could just be clueless 👍🏻

If you're going to call me clueless ya muppet, at least address what I said.

1. Their was no criticism about our league position or cup run, nor did I mention maxim not playing. 

2. Saint Allan should be starting every game, you clearly don't like fun football.

47 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Be interested to see if Gordon or ASM gets the LW spot in the next game. And surely Isak has to start? 

Howe's not really been one to throw new signings straight in. I'd expect ASM or even Murphy to get the nod. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Howe's not really been one to throw new signings straight in. I'd expect ASM or even Murphy to get the nod. 

Aye, I think it’ll be a big indicator of ASMs future if Murphy starts. There’s surely no argument that ASM isn’t fit at this point so if he doesn’t start it’s clear he’s just not favored. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

If you're going to call me clueless ya muppet, at least address what I said.

1. Their was no criticism about our league position or cup run, nor did I mention maxim not playing. 

2. Saint Allan should be starting every game, you clearly don't like fun football.

I like winning 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Could you play Isak as a 10 to make up for the loss of Bruno’s creativity? With Joelinton and Longstaff playing as two more holding type players to make up for that? Just slightly tweaking the tried and tested formula. It would need a grafter in both the wide roles though 

Like a 4-2-3-1? 

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Burn

Longstaff Joelinton

Almiron --- Isak --- Gordon

Wilson

• Like 2

Just now, The Fish said:

Like a 4-2-3-1? 

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Burn

Longstaff Joelinton

Almiron --- Isak --- Gordon

Wilson

I was thinking more of a 4-2-1-2-1

• Haha 3

Just joking, but aye something along those lines. I actually think it’ll be the same shape as usual though. Willock Longstaff and Joelinton in midfield with one of Isak, Gordon or ASM on the left. Although I’d expect Isak to drop into positions inside and behind Wilson more if he started there 

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

i think you'll find that's known as a double pivot these days

image.png.a2175455cc1c80a0eede4c7d5cada85f.png

• Haha 8

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

i think you'll find that's known as a double pivot these days

image.png.a2175455cc1c80a0eede4c7d5cada85f.png

Yeah, employing them as a double 6. With a flake and monkey’s blood 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah, employing them as a double 6. With a flake and monkey’s blood 

Harumph, that was a 99 (double 9) in my day, AND ALWAYS WILL BE what's this 66 bollocks.

Fucking young'uns

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Harumph, that was a 99 (double 9) in my day, AND ALWAYS WILL BE what's this 66 bollocks.

Fucking young'uns

That's when you drop yours upside down.

26 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Fucking young'uns

calm down teapot. 

• Haha 4

Apparently Chelsea forgot to submit any of the paper work for Ziyech’s move to PSG, so his move collapsed while he was sat at PSG’s general office. Considering some are making out that Boehly and his lot are cunning geniuses navigating FFP in ways no one has they look more like a bunch of amateurs who will cause severe issues down the line imo. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Apparently Chelsea forgot to submit any of the paper work for Ziyech’s move to PSG, so his move collapsed while he was sat at PSG’s general office. Considering some are making out that Boehly and his lot are cunning geniuses navigating FFP in ways no one has they look more like a bunch of amateurs who will cause severe issues down the line imo. 

Fucking shame that a player is going to be so pissed off he'll just have to console himself by sucking up wages.

My concern with the transfer window played out perfectly in a mini version last night.  The three substitutions were made and with one of them being Willock we had no other options to bring on in midfield when they were getting well on top and threatening to make it a very nervous last ten minutes.  And then Bruno gets sent off and we have no one to replace him (even at a lesser standard).

So now for the next three games we have three central midfielders for the three positions on offer.  We have no options off the bench if it's not working or another one of them gets injured/suspended.  It may be fine and and the extra wide option of Gordon along with Isak and Wilson getting fitter and fitter, might get us through, but it could also be that it seriously derails our bid for champions league football next season.

I'm not saying that I'm unhappy with the business we have done (ins and outs), I'm not saying that I'm not delighted at where we've got to in such a short space of time.  I'm just disapointed that for whatever reason, we've not been able to build on it further in this window particularly in a season in which Liverpool and Chelsea in particular have massively disapointed and allowed us an opportunity to do something which could have huge implications on how we can finance our aims going forward.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

My concern with the transfer window played out perfectly in a mini version last night.  The three substitutions were made and with one of them being Willock we had no other options to bring on in midfield when they were getting well on top and threatening to make it a very nervous last ten minutes.  And then Bruno gets sent off and we have no one to replace him (even at a lesser standard).

So now for the next three games we have three central midfielders for the three positions on offer.  We have no options off the bench if it's not working or another one of them gets injured/suspended.  It may be fine and and the extra wide option of Gordon along with Isak and Wilson getting fitter and fitter, might get us through, but it could also be that it seriously derails our bid for champions league football next season.

I'm not saying that I'm unhappy with the business we have done (ins and outs), I'm not saying that I'm not delighted at where we've got to in such a short space of time.  I'm just disapointed that for whatever reason, we've not been able to build on it further in this window particularly in a season in which Liverpool and Chelsea in particular have massively disapointed and allowed us an opportunity to do something which could have huge implications on how we can finance our aims going forward.

100%

I know what you are saying and feel similalry. However, I reckon Almiron can play the number 8 position for example - in a similar manner to Willock. After that....can we get Hendrick back? 🤪

Edited by Holden McGroin

I totally get the point you're making DK, but in a bizarre sense I think it's a product of us getting ahead of the plan so to speak. 

The plan was to be challenging for CL in 3-5 years and here we are a little over 12 months in and we're already there. We're still at the stage where a) we're organically weeding out the dead wood and shitty long-term deals the previous ownership lumbered us with and b) we haven't yet got the commercial deals in place to back the necessary investment that the personnel, and selling clubs will demand. 

It's tremendous to think that we're challenging for the Champions League places already but it's questionable whether as a club we are truly ready for it. 

And the management infrastructure we have in place do not strike me as the type who would sign players to make up the numbers or just for the sake of it. They will identify their targets, go for them and if they don't land them they won't settle for something that comes up short in their minds. 

I would also add that they way the club has handled the situation with Shelvey oozes class. He's approaching 31 and clearly wasn't going to be offered the length of deal Forest offered. Howe seemed clearly at pains that he was moving on but they've allowed it to happen gracefully and with their blessing. Contrast that with how Everton dealt with Anthony Gordon wanting to leave, or even some of our players during the Ashley era. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 5

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season