Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Apparently Chelsea forgot to submit any of the paper work for Ziyech’s move to PSG, so his move collapsed while he was sat at PSG’s general office. Considering some are making out that Boehly and his lot are cunning geniuses navigating FFP in ways no one has they look more like a bunch of amateurs who will cause severe issues down the line imo. 

Just been reading some of that, it truly sounds like an absolute shambles :lol: Hope they've got similarly competent people who're planning their finances. Can't be great for the dressing room atmosphere either, Ziyech must be seething. Craig just made a good point comparing this to how we've dealth with Shelvey. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Craig said:

I totally get the point you're making DK, but in a bizarre sense I think it's a product of us getting ahead of the plan so to speak. 

The plan was to be challenging for CL in 3-5 years and here we are a little over 12 months in and we're already there. We're still at the stage where a) we're organically weeding out the dead wood and shitty long-term deals the previous ownership lumbered us with and b) we haven't yet got the commercial deals in place to back the necessary investment that the personnel, and selling clubs will demand. 

It's tremendous to think that we're challenging for the Champions League places already but it's questionable whether as a club we are truly ready for it. 

And the management infrastructure we have in place do not strike me as the type who would sign players to make up the numbers or just for the sake of it. They will identify their targets, go for them and if they don't land them they won't settle for something that comes up short in their minds. 

I would also add that they way the club has handled the situation with Shelvey oozes class. He's approaching 31 and clearly wasn't going to be offered the length of deal Forest offered. Howe seemed clearly at pains that he was moving on but they've allowed it to happen gracefully and with their blessing. Contrast that with how Everton dealt with Anthony Gordon wanting to leave, or even some of our players during the Ashley era. 

Look at how we pursued Botman. We could have paid the extra money for him in January, but he wasn't convinced yet, the selling club dug their heels in and it turned out that we didn't need him. Fast Forward 6 months and we sign him for a fair price, the selling club are happy enough because they've had time to sort out a replacement, he's happy because he's had more time to be wooed/say his goodbyes/larn yesel Geordie and all that. 

This Franca kid, we 100% could have paid the £25m they were apparently asking for, but maybe he needs a little more convincing, the selling club have dug their heels in and that number 8 position is somewhere we're fairly well stocked right now.

I also think the less we act like the richest club on the planet, the better business we'll get done. Can't imagine Newcastle spunking half a billion quid in a panic, disrupting the market place and fucking themselves in FFP terms. 

I honestly think the target for this season would have been pushing for Europe, a target that barring a catastrophe we should comfortably achieve. . 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Craig said:

I totally get the point you're making DK, but in a bizarre sense I think it's a product of us getting ahead of the plan so to speak. 

The plan was to be challenging for CL in 3-5 years and here we are a little over 12 months in and we're already there. We're still at the stage where a) we're organically weeding out the dead wood and shitty long-term deals the previous ownership lumbered us with and b) we haven't yet got the commercial deals in place to back the necessary investment that the personnel, and selling clubs will demand. 

It's tremendous to think that we're challenging for the Champions League places already but it's questionable whether as a club we are truly ready for it. 

And the management infrastructure we have in place do not strike me as the type who would sign players to make up the numbers or just for the sake of it. They will identify their targets, go for them and if they don't land them they won't settle for something that comes up short in their minds. 

I would also add that they way the club has handled the situation with Shelvey oozes class. He's approaching 31 and clearly wasn't going to be offered the length of deal Forest were. Howe seemed clearly at pains that he was moving on but they've allowed it to happen gracefully and with their blessing. Contrast that with how Everton dealt with Anthony Gordon wanting to leave, or even some of our players during the Ashley era. 

I don't disagree with any of that Craig, including the bit about Shelvey who arguably has been treated better than he deserved for the output we've had from him for large parts of the last 7 years, but I'm delighted to see the club showing respect to former players.

My feeling is though that we have a real chance this season to leap forward at a greater speed than anyone expected and it's just a bit disapointing we haven't jumped at that chance, especially when the risks of losing the likes of Bruno and Botman to teams who are playing in the champions league will get greater and greater the longer we aren't able to offer that.    

• Like 2

You're right - there is a risk of that happening, but conversely there's also a risk of us hitting the CL stage before we're ready for it, we crash and burn and they decide to consider looking elsewhere.

Very much devil's advocate and to be honest neither scenario truly concerns me. I think the likes of Bruno and Botman have bought into the project and I doubt very much the likes of Ashworth / Howe oversold it to them. They're indoctrinated into the fabric of this club. I can't see them upping sticks and moving on simply because we don't achieve CL within 18 & 12 months respectively.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I don't disagree with any of that Craig, including the bit about Shelvey who arguably has been treated better than he deserved for the output we've had from him for large parts of the last 7 years, but I'm delighted to see the club showing respect to former players.

My feeling is though that we have a real chance this season to leap forward at a greater speed than anyone expected and it's just a bit disapointing we haven't jumped at that chance, especially when the risks of losing the likes of Bruno and Botman to teams who are playing in the champions league will get greater and greater the longer we aren't able to offer that.    

Under Howe we've averaged around 2pts a game. That's good enough for 76points a season, which is good enough for 3rd place in 7 of the last 10 seasons. We'll be fine man.

3 hours ago, Craig said:

I would also add that they way the club has handled the situation with Shelvey oozes class. He's approaching 31 and clearly wasn't going to be offered the length of deal Forest offered. Howe seemed clearly at pains that he was moving on but they've allowed it to happen gracefully and with their blessing. Contrast that with how Everton dealt with Anthony Gordon wanting to leave, or even some of our players during the Ashley era. 

i agree it's a process, we're well ahead of schedule and slightly hamstrung by FFP - and we can't get rid of all the shite from the ashley era overnight. i've even heard some people argue on podcasts that qualifying for the CL could come too soon, that we might struggle in the competition if we're still stuck with loads of shite in the squad that we can't shift.

not sure i fully agree with that line. i see finishing top 4 well ahead of schedule this season as more of an opportunity to turbo charge our transformation - and our spending.

nobody expected it to happen this quickly but that also presents an unbelievable opportunity. i don't think the club were wrong to let shelvey go, but i hope we don't regret not replacing him. the midfield engine room does look quite thin now.

ideally we will always get our top targets for the price we want to pay, and i don't mind them sticking to their guns, but it would be such a shame if we fall short because of injuries to midfielders, when a  loan signing might have helped us get over the line. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Finishing in the top 4 is fantastic in every scenario. The money generated from just participating will outweigh wages paid to players who are deemed surplus to requirements. It will also create a significant leverage in attracting new players.

• Like 1

The other point is that Eddie said in a recent interview that he doesn't want to go nuts in the transfer windows - add 1 or 2 maybe in each window to refresh things but also to build on the stability that's been created. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Fish said:

Look at how we pursued Botman. We could have paid the extra money for him in January, but he wasn't convinced yet, the selling club dug their heels in and it turned out that we didn't need him. Fast Forward 6 months and we sign him for a fair price, the selling club are happy enough because they've had time to sort out a replacement, he's happy because he's had more time to be wooed/say his goodbyes/larn yesel Geordie and all that. 

This Franca kid, we 100% could have paid the £25m they were apparently asking for, but maybe he needs a little more convincing, the selling club have dug their heels in and that number 8 position is somewhere we're fairly well stocked right now.

I also think the less we act like the richest club on the planet, the better business we'll get done. Can't imagine Newcastle spunking half a billion quid in a panic, disrupting the market place and fucking themselves in FFP terms. 

I honestly think the target for this season would have been pushing for Europe, a target that barring a catastrophe we should comfortably achieve. . 

Agree with this. It’s a risk but our owners see it as a measured risk to get us to our long term aims.

We are establishing ourselves as hard negotiators who pay a fair price but won’t be taken to the cleaners, or panic. We did this in the most uncomfortable position imaginable 12 months ago when we refused to give in to demands for Botman, or Carlos, and it’s worked out for us. We now have that to fall back on in negotiations as proof us walking away isn’t a bluff, players know it (see Gordon quotes regarding not wanting to miss his chance) and clubs are learning. Contrast that to Chelsea who are a complete fucking laughing stock, tried to play hardball with Benfica and have ended up paying exactly what Benfica demanded. While Chelsea are an extreme I think Manchester United are another example who get their eyes ripped out on basically every deal because they’ve established themselves as a soft touch who will overpay/panic (I think Ajax wanted 80m for Anthony earlier in the window which Man Utd walked away from before coming back and paying 20m more).

It makes me nervous and I really wanted us to sign a CM, but I trust the owners plan and Howe to get us to where we need to be. It could mean we miss CL this season, but the upside if we manage to get it this season is fucking huge as Isegrim points out. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I know what you are saying and feel similalry. However, I reckon Almiron can play the number 8 position for example - in a similar manner to Willock. After that....can we get Hendrick back? 🤪

Before Bruce did his best to ruin Almiron,  I seem to remember him having some good games in an advanced central role

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Before Bruce did his best to ruin Almiron,  I seem to remember him having some good games in an advanced central role

yeah, he looked good, but it was more of a number 10 position, tucked in behind the striker wasn't it? he looked lost playing in the deeper role under bruce. but then, who didn't?

• Like 1

All this pissing about the lack of options in midfield etc, for me we have an abundance of options there compared with at the back where a long term injury to Dan Burn significantly weakens two positions. And we will get injuries. Relatively happy with the window, I think Eddie understands how lots of incomings would upset the balance in the changing room, lack of options in January but most of all FFP clipping our wings and not being able to overhaul a distinctly average squad in only three windows. Having said all that a couple of loans wouldn’t have gone amiss but no point moaning on like a fuckin big girls blouse is there? 😀 :nufc:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

All this pissing about the lack of options in midfield etc, for me we have an abundance of options there compared with at the back where a long term injury to Dan Burn significantly weakens two positions. And we will get injuries. Relatively happy with the window, I think Eddie understands how lots of incomings would upset the balance in the changing room, lack of options in January but most of all FFP clipping our wings and not being able to overhaul a distinctly average squad in only three windows. Having said all that a couple of loans wouldn’t have gone amiss but no point moaning on like a fuckin big girls blouse is there? 😀 :nufc:

You calling @LongTimeAdmirer a big girls blouse?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You calling @LongTimeAdmirer a big girls blouse?

Yes, whoever the fuck they are. His mams a poof too :cuppa: 

PS I bet you’re the one in your work group who needlessly copies in people they shouldn’ to emails, eg bosses, people who are a pain in the arse etc etc . You’re that guy, aren’t you Dave? :lol: 

• Haha 4

Just now, PaddockLad said:

PS I bet you’re the one in your work group who needlessly copies in people they shouldn’ to emails, eg bosses, people who are a pain in the arse etc etc . You’re that guy, aren’t you Dave? :lol: 

You calling Dave a yank ?? That's their standard practice - toady cunts

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Oh I go further than that, I'll BCC someone into an email chain. Hell, I'll wait until I'm on a call with someone, then say "Oh, I'll just see if [Senior Manager] is free." and add them to the call as an ambush.

• Haha 6

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season