Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

As an aside (not that it’s a choice as such) I’d rather go into the Europa League and enter a competition we have a chance of winning. I’m not saying we will win it but we’ve got a decent chance of progressing to the later stages. I know the CL brings in loads of money etc but getting that elusive first trophy trumps all that from a fan pov. For me, for now at least 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s a bit like being at the match and shouting ‘shoot!’ but then caveating that with ‘but make sure you score’ 

its really nothing like that at all. I was just raising an observation that we might not get a better chance for a couple of seasons.

Of course the owners most likely have a long term plan and may not even see this as an issue. As I said though, im happy either way.

37 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Bottom line may have been cost/benefit….was the cost of bringing in 3/4 players in January outweighed by how much we’d make from only possibly qualifying for the champions league group stage? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think you get about 16m euros for qualifying and then its  2.8m Euros for a win (1m euros for a draw). I remember it being about £1m per win when we had our last run.

Edited by Holden McGroin

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

As an aside (not that it’s a choice as such) I’d rather go into the Europa League and enter a competition we have a chance of winning. I’m not saying we will win it but we’ve got a decent chance of progressing to the later stages. I know the CL brings in loads of money etc but getting that elusive first trophy trumps all that from a fan pov. For me, for now at least 

I know there's a school of thought that we'd have been better off not beating Feyernord and going into the Uefa cup which I never really considered at the time but in 20/20 hindsight, losing a great victory aside,  I now think its probably right. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

One thing that is obvious is that the reason we didn't spend £100m+ wasn't because the owners didn't want to but because they didn't want to blow their summer budget in a difficult window. 

I know that Chelsea and Liverpool are having bad seasons and the perception is that their situation means there's an opening for us but if you look at our points total at this stage of the season then it would have had us challenging for top four in any of the previous four or five seasons at least. This isn't a one-off scenario for us. The plan is to build solid foundations and you don't do that by buying the wrong players just because they're available or gambling the next couple of years' FFP allowance by blowing it all in one shot.

i don’t think blowing our summer budget in January was a gamble worth taking. Don’t think anyone is suggesting they should have done that. 

I don’t know how much ffp headroom we have but our net spend in January was about £20m, if the reported fees are to be believed, which is relatively modest. 

1 hour ago, NJS said:

I know there's a school of thought that we'd have been better off not beating Feyernord and going into the Uefa cup which I never really considered at the time but in 20/20 hindsight, losing a great victory aside,  I now think its probably right. 

Hmmm. Not sure about that. You wouldn’t have had the 2-2 in Milan 

49 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i don’t think blowing our summer budget in January was a gamble worth taking. Don’t think anyone is suggesting they should have done that. 

I don’t know how much ffp headroom we have but our net spend in January was about £20m, if the reported fees are to be believed, which is relatively modest. 

Its wages that are our ffp problem, we were at 95% of turnover or something by the end of summer werent we? 

Until we up revenue we're hamstrung by pretty much needing 2 or 3 out to get 1 good enough player in. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Its wages that are our ffp problem, we were at 95% of turnover or something by the end of summer werent we? 

Until we up revenue we're hamstrung by pretty much needing 2 or 3 out to get 1 good enough player in. 

ANNOUNCE ARAMCO!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

We're also working our way into a space where we will be able to sell some of our players and upgrade versus our recent history where we've not had many players of saleable quality. We still have our fair share of duds as well unfortunately.

Plus we have an agreement to end the Fun88 sponsorship early at the end of this season so this should be our first giant leap forwards in the corporate revenue space.

Patience is key, it will happen we just have to make sure to dot our i's and cross our t's on the way due to the attention we will be getting from the incumbent 'big 6' clubs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OTF said:

We're also working our way into a space where we will be able to sell some of our players and upgrade versus our recent history where we've not had many players of saleable quality. We still have our fair share of duds as well unfortunately.

Fanks Mike

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Its definitely not bollocks and I caveated it with I don't know the financial situation (we may well have tried). I just think it could end up being missed opportunity as if we dont make it this year the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool aren't going to be as shit next season. Spurs will likely improve and Man U are on a upward trajectory as well.

Standard football fan thinking, this. 

There's no guarantees Chelsea will improve. Owners seems to be out of his depth, so too does Potter. Liverpool have an ageing squad and look shonky as hell at the back. Spurs will probably lose Conte and who knows what new manager they'll fail to properly support in the transfer window. Ten Haag has done well, and Man Utd are a Behemoth, no doubt. Can Arsenal recreate this season? Has Guardiola got the cajones to go again?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Standard football fan thinking, this. 

There's no guarantees Chelsea will improve. Owners seems to be out of his depth, so too does Potter. Liverpool have an ageing squad and look shonky as hell at the back. Spurs will probably lose Conte and who knows what new manager they'll fail to properly support in the transfer window. Ten Haag has done well, and Man Utd are a Behemoth, no doubt. Can Arsenal recreate this season? Has Guardiola got the cajones to go again?

Exactly. It's clear that everything points towards us winning the league next season. :nufc: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Alex said:

Also means two possible routes to CL football in 24/25. 

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Am just happy that you’re in our lives to guide us on these things Dave, you patronising fuckin twat :D 

Imagine how much money I've saved for you all by preventing those pissed sheets. You're welcome.

I have a paypal account, by the way.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Imagine how much money I've saved for you all by preventing those pissed sheets. You're welcome.

I have a paypal account, by the way.

You’ll note I largely agree with most of what you say . The difference is I don’t think it’s particularly thoughtful or insightful but if you think you can make a living out of it mate you go knock yourself out   :good: 

Holden makes a fair point but we’re unlikely to find out how the conversation went in January. And it’s not hugely different to what others have said, none of us are losing our shit over this opportunity that may have passed by..  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So does being in the CL and winning it.

Imagine.

Aye but one is unlikely, and the other is very unlikely.

Edited by The Fish

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You’ll note I largely agree with most of what you say . The difference is I don’t think it’s particularly thoughtful or insightful but if you think you can make a living out of it mate you go knock yourself out   :good: 

Holden makes a fair point but we’re unlikely to find out how the conversation went in January. And it’s not hugely different to what others have said, none of us are losing our shit over this opportunity that may have passed by..  

If this board only permitted thoughtful or insightful contributions, it would have been abandoned long ago.

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Am surprised you still lower yourself to bother tbh :lol:

It's either this, or do work....

Mind you, boss just sent an email around saying his shifted his meetings about because he wants to go sledging with his daughter at 2ish, so clearly slacking off is the done thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Am just happy that you’re in our lives to guide us on these things Dave, you patronising fuckin twat :D 

Aye. Classic patronising psychology tends to suggest that person is deeply insecure. xDI if that helps you understand Dave 😛

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye. Classic patronising psychology tends to suggest that person is deeply insecure. xDI if that helps you understand Dave 😛

I am deeply insecure. I'm also right almost all the time about football and deeply secure about that rightness. 

Told You So Mic Drop GIF by FullMag

• Haha 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season