Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

4 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

I dont know what you guys see in Gallagher but cant wait for Maddison though 

Agree about Gallagher. There are rumours that we're in for Maddison now too. New rumours at that. Maybe its a sign that our pursuit of Bellingham is failing. But i don't know or care. I just love not having to hold my breath until we get 40 points every year.

Just seen Craig Hope drop Ruben Neves' name as someone we'll go back in for in the summer. We'll be lucky to avoid a lot of competition for his signature and subsequently a bidding war. We just have to hope the teams capable of competing for him have other targets in mind for that position. Chelsea for one are surely well stocked in that position after their spending spree, Man U have Casermiro but I suppose they need quality back up for that position, Spurs have plenty of players of that type but it comes down to whether Conte fancies Neves over them or has other priorities, Liverpool should really be doing everything they can to sign Neves but will probably go for Bellingham who's a great player but Neves is a type they arguably need more, Man City again are fairly well stocked with Rodri and Philips. It would be amusing if Liverpool miss out on Neves to us because we qualified for the CL and they didn't. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Just seen Craig Hope drop Ruben Neves' name as someone we'll go back in for in the summer. We'll be lucky to avoid a lot of competition for his signature and subsequently a bidding war. We just have to hope the teams capable of competing for him have other targets in mind for that position. Chelsea for one are surely well stocked in that position after their spending spree, Man U have Casermiro but I suppose they need quality back up for that position, Spurs have plenty of players of that type but it comes down to whether Conte fancies Neves over them or has other priorities, Liverpool should really be doing everything they can to sign Neves but will probably go for Bellingham who's a great player but Neves is a type they arguably need more, Man City again are fairly well stocked with Rodri and Philips. It would be amusing if Liverpool miss out on Neves to us because we qualified for the CL and they didn't. 

if we finish top 4 and we want him, we'll get him 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

if we finish top 4 and we want him, we'll get him 

I like your confidence but in my opinion we'd be unwise to underestimate the pull of the so called top six clubs and London clubs in particular, even if the clubs geographic position is overplayed as an obstacle for us by certain pundits. Although there is of course the argument that we shouldn't be worrying about players who don't buy into the project and or would rather play for a club down south. 

• Like 1

Neves currently plays for Wolves, so assuming he lives in the surrounding area, I doubt selling Newcastle to him will be difficult because the West Midlands are a fucking dump of the highest order

• Like 4

6 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

thought i'd share this from one of our bluemoon threads. no ulterior motive, its just interesting.

quite proud of our net spend but i'd rather we spent money like chelsea. our net spend is so good thanks to our player sales.

premier-league-last-5-seasons-transfer

You realise that's not really worthwhile when it doesn't include wages. You can sign players nearing the end of their contracts for less, but that often comes with higher wages, and you can gazump teams that were willing to pay more up front because the players wants higher wages. It's only showing part of the picture.

5 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I like your confidence but in my opinion we'd be unwise to underestimate the pull of the so called top six clubs and London clubs in particular, even if the clubs geographic position is overplayed as an obstacle for us by certain pundits. Although there is of course the argument that we shouldn't be worrying about players who don't buy into the project and or would rather play for a club down south. 

This is a very very strong argument when you look at the camaraderie and work rate in our current side.

• Like 2

Is it just me or is the more quality this season in the relegation favorites than there has been in recent history?  There are players I would take from any of the bottom six or seven clubs (maybe not Bournemouth) and I don't think I'd have said that a couple of years ago.  It's good to see more quality in the league as a whole.

5 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Erm...

I imagine this unfortunate mess will be sorted once they send that link to the premier league and clear things up.

• Haha 1

Wood to Notts Forest has been made permanent for 15 million. 

Thats a ridiculous bit of business by our lot. 10 million outlay, condemned Burnley to the drop when we were in the mix and he made a massive difference in our absurd run of form last season when we were desperate for a forward.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Wood to Notts Forest has been made permanent for 15 million. 

Thats a ridiculous bit of business by our lot. 10 million outlay, condemned Burnley to the drop when we were in the mix and he made a massive difference in our absurd run of form last season when we were desperate for a forward.

I think we got a sizeable loan fee too, so it might be closer to £5m.

Wood for c£15m, Shelvey sold for £10m, and there's talk that Forrest want Lascelles too. If we can get the thick end of £40m for those three from one club, we've done very, very well. 

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season