Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Don't think it's the kind of transfer we can expect. He'd be too expensive, he's not that good away from dead ball situations and I don't want to have to try and Milinkovic-Savic is the only double barrelled name I want added to the squad.

I honestly think he's overrated. 

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I honestly think he's overrated. 

He's a midtable or below central midfielder, with an exceptional talent for striking a dead ball. Honestly think we can do better, without spending as much as it would take to prise him from Southampton's cold dead hands. 

He's vital to them, not just for his ability, but he's a leader, a local lad and all that. They'd want North of £75m, surely?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He's a midtable or below central midfielder, with an exceptional talent for striking a dead ball. Honestly think we can do better, without spending as much as it would take to prise him from Southampton's cold dead hands. 

He's vital to them, not just for his ability, but he's a leader, a local lad and all that. They'd want North of £75m, surely?

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Thought it might be something to do with his contract expiring soon, but that’s not the case. Unless there’s a relegation clause the club knows about. Still reckon it’s just paper talk though 

52 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We have two mid table or below central midfielders that can't strike a dead ball so it would be an upgrade. I wouldn't be paying big money for him though and think we could get better value elsewhere.e

44 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

We have two mid table or below central midfielders that can't strike a dead ball so it would be an upgrade. I wouldn't be paying big money for him though and think we could get better value elsewhere.

Right, so, shut up.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I’ve seen Ward Prowse play three times this season and for me he was man of the match in one of them (away semi final @StMs) and pretty good in the other two.  Which sort of makes me think you’re right yet simultaneously wrong… he’s no better than what we have….to me he’s like Longy with as you say a bigger goal threat. But if he’s at the level of the new improved Longy how much would Howe improve JWP’s game? 🤔 

He’s not good enough for where PIF see this club, but obviously price would be key, he’s not a 75mill + player regardless of who his coach is . But if Longy can get to be a mainstay of a side challenging for a champions league place then am sure JWP can be too. Which is  why I think your (and many others tbf) measurement nomenclature needs addressing; Longy never gets  “might be ok in a mid table side” etc etc he mostly gets “championship at best” on here, usually after a defeat. As someone heavily into stats will appreciate on the evidence of this season that’s frankly bollocks. Longy just needed good coaching :cuppa: 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

I’ve seen Ward Prowse play three times this season and for me he was man of the match in one of them (away semi final @StMs) and pretty good in the other two.  Which sort of makes me think you’re right yet simultaneously wrong… he’s no better than what we have….to me he’s like Longy with as you say a bigger goal threat. But if he’s at the level of the new improved Longy how much would Howe improve JWP’s game? 🤔 

He’s not good enough for where PIF see this club, but obviously price would be key, he’s not a 75mill + player regardless of who his coach is . But if Longy can get to be a mainstay of a side challenging for a champions league place then am sure JWP can be too. Which is  why I think your (and many others tbf) measurement nomenclature needs addressing; Longy never gets  “might be ok in a mid table side” etc etc he gets mostly gets “championship at best” on here, usually after a defeat. As someone heavily into stats will appreciate on the evidence of this season that’s frankly bollocks. Longy just needed good coaching :cuppa: 

I take your points, but you can't divorce the fee they'd likely want for him and the value he'd add to the team. Longstaff is a mainstay in this team for 2 reasons; a) he's a passable Premier League midfielder with higher than average ability at the pressing game and ii) we have zero squad depth. 

Is JWP better than Longstaff? Yeah, probably overall he is. But we'd have to throw big wages + a big transfer fee at someone who is probably better than someone we're not paying huge wages for. We'd be better off spending half of the estimated JWP fee on someone else on big wages, and adding further depth elsewhere. 

Ward Prowse is 28yrs old, he's got 3yrs left on his c£100k pw deal. Milinkovic Savic is 28 and has 1yr left on his c£100k pw deal. The latter is also much, much better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

I genuinely hope you don't write emails like you post on internet message boards. Otherwise I would not advise you got to the next xmas party.

Of course I don't. And of course I won't.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

He’s not good enough for where PIF see this club, but obviously price would be key, he’s not a 75mill + player regardless of who his coach is . But if Longy can get to be a mainstay of a side challenging for a champions league place then am sure JWP can be too. Which is  why I think your (and many others tbf) measurement nomenclature needs addressing; Longy never gets  “might be ok in a mid table side” etc etc he mostly gets “championship at best” on here, usually after a defeat. As someone heavily into stats will appreciate on the evidence of this season that’s frankly bollocks. Longy just needed good coaching :cuppa: 

Loads of talk of JWP and Maddison, but if I was taking a player each from Saints and Leicester then it would be Lavia and Barnes

Although Lavia's contract  may well contain some kind of buy back clause for Man City

Just now, ackas said:

Loads of talk of JWP and Maddison, but if I was taking a player each from Saints and Leicester then it would be Lavia and Barnes

Although Lavia's contract  may well contain some kind of buy back clause for Man City

Love a curveball.

Just now, ackas said:

Lavia (what a cunt of a name 😉) is quality too. Am not sure why they’re where they are (probably need a decent coach ☺️) they gave us two good games in the semi final. I think Maitland Niles is decent too but we look like we’ve got RB covered when Ashby gets fit 👍

18 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Will be genuinely incredible when Eddie Howe can turn to the bench and introduce some actual quality from a change. The man himself might weep in joy

Meanwhile Miggy came on over the weekend, scored a belter of a goal and set up what should have been a beauty as well.

And also Matt Ritchie came on - I take your point.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season