Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

If we were genuinely after him and he was on a free in a years time then it would be a case of how big are his gonads? As much as I think he's a good player maybe our gurus think there's a better player in the long run elsewhere and at a better age plus sell on value etc. It's hard to get our heads around but I don't think Ashworth and co are duck eggs. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I don't think he will leave London tbh if it’s true Chelsea and Arsenal are after him.

He’ll want champions league football 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I don't think he will leave London tbh if its true Chelsea and Arsenal are after him.

I think he'd be a mug to go to Chelsea tbh. Man U used to pick Arsenal's pockets for their best players but that era might be over so arsenal could be a good bet but they might deteriorate from where they are presently. Man U is a decent bet for him as they are what they are and will eventually be bought I'd guess but might depend if they fancy Kane? If Ferguson was there and they were still a power there's no doubt in my mind Kane would have been there a couple of years ago. Like I say, I don't think we're ready to spend that big on one player until the money starts rolling in and even then I don't think they're going to risk financial oblivion when there could be an alternative that makes better sense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

If we were genuinely after him and he was on a free in a years time then it would be a case of how big are his gonads? As much as I think he's a good player maybe our gurus think there's a better player in the long run elsewhere and at a better age plus sell on value etc. It's hard to get our heads around but I don't think Ashworth and co are duck eggs. 

Rice is only 24, so he's still fairly young. We could field him for 4 years and still sell him for a tidy sum. 

I'd love him, and I think we could get him, if nobody else at the big boy table was after him. But imo he's tailor made for Pep's Man City side, and he'd improve every central midfield of the 'big clubs'. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Rice is only 24, so he's still fairly young. We could field him for 4 years and still sell him for a tidy sum. 

I'd love him, and I think we could get him, if nobody else at the big boy table was after him. But imo he's tailor made for Pep's Man City side, and he'd improve every central midfield of the 'big clubs'. 

I think he’s Englands next captain too. If FFP allows it & our other main targets we should definitely try to get him into a room with Eddie Howe & the owners. That’s obviously dependent on champions league football . Shearer turned Man Utd down twice, first time was for newly minted Blackburn Rovers.. obviously it’s a vastly different football world now but there’s something about how he’s acted around the Newcastle players and staff this season…Tripper needs to get inside his head on England duty..

• Like 6

We're doing it again lads. We're all saying "nah he'll never sign, but..." and with each post we're getting closer and closer to thinking he might. 

He's not signing for us.

but if he did...

Jon Stewart Thank You GIF

• Haha 5

Rice would be brilliant for us, it’s probably the best move he can make as well (depending on what happens with a certain Arsenal DMs legal troubles). 

I don’t think Chelsea will be in for him, I honestly think they’re up against some FFP challenges they’ve already spent 120m or so in the coming summer with Nkuku and a couple of young Brazillian signings already signed for summer moves and on top of that they’ve signed Enzo to a one year extension after he signed for 8.5 years in the summer - that to me is a clear sign they’re finally realizing there’s trouble looming since their last set of accounts were a total fucking disaster and didn’t even include a considerable number of their signings, as that year means they stretch Enzo’s fee out even more for FFP. I really do think the owners at Chelsea don’t have a fucking clue tbh, and a lot of these players they’ve signed for massive money look fairly poor (or honestly shite in Mudruyks case), while a small sample size of games we’ve seen plenty big money signings flop and they’ll have to try and clear out a lot of players but the market knows these issues and they’ve had a really poor year. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see who leaves the club in the Summer.

I think the trick is not going to be to upgrade the likes of Burn, Almiron, Longstaff etc. But rather to buy first team ready players to replace Ritchie, Lascelles, Manquillo etc. 

That way you have a bench full of strong players to rotate into the team with cup/European games etc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It will be interesting to see who leaves the club in the Summer.

I think the trick is not going to be to upgrade the likes of Burn, Almiron, Longstaff etc. But rather to buy first team ready players to replace Ritchie, Lascelles, Manquillo etc. 

That way you have a bench full of strong players to rotate into the team with cup/European games etc. 

I'm confused, can't you do both? Buy first team players to replace Ritchie and that lot, who are also upgrades on Longstaff and the others?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm confused, can't you do both? Buy first team players to replace Ritchie and that lot, who are also upgrades on Longstaff and the others?

My hope would be the players mentioned become the squad depth, replacing the Ritchie's and Manqillo's etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Rice would be brilliant for us, it’s probably the best move he can make as well (depending on what happens with a certain Arsenal DMs legal troubles). 

I don’t think Chelsea will be in for him, I honestly think they’re up against some FFP challenges they’ve already spent 120m or so in the coming summer with Nkuku and a couple of young Brazillian signings already signed for summer moves and on top of that they’ve signed Enzo to a one year extension after he signed for 8.5 years in the summer - that to me is a clear sign they’re finally realizing there’s trouble looming since their last set of accounts were a total fucking disaster and didn’t even include a considerable number of their signings, as that year means they stretch Enzo’s fee out even more for FFP. I really do think the owners at Chelsea don’t have a fucking clue tbh, and a lot of these players they’ve signed for massive money look fairly poor (or honestly shite in Mudruyks case), while a small sample size of games we’ve seen plenty big money signings flop and they’ll have to try and clear out a lot of players but the market knows these issues and they’ve had a really poor year. 

I heard a rumour claiming their yank owner thought Chelsea qualified for the champions league automatically every year and didn’t realise you need to finish too 4 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'd imagine Man Utd would see him as an upgrade on McTominay too. 

He's a perfect fit here to sit deep and allow Bruno to push forward. We would need to be in the CL to stand a chance though 

True. Bruno is arguably better at the DM role than rice though. I thought he had to play further forwards after he scored all those goals last season but he’s been bloody brilliant in the deeper role this season. 

While we’re playing fantasy football, if we got rice and Maddison, we could rotate Bruno and Rice at “number 6”, while also rotating him with the others at “number 8”

• Like 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season