Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

True. Bruno is arguably better at the DM role than rice though. I thought he had to play further forwards after he scored all those goals last season but he’s been bloody brilliant in the deeper role this season. 

While we’re playing fantasy football, if we got rice and Maddison, we could rotate Bruno and Rice at “number 6”, while also rotating him with the others at “number 8”

That is a delicious prospect.

4 hours ago, ackas said:

If Chelsea are doing a mass clear out in the Summer, then I wouldnt mind Kante on a 2 or 3 year deal, if Rice isnt a goer.

Kante is a cracking player but he's a cripple now. 

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

True. Bruno is arguably better at the DM role than rice though. I thought he had to play further forwards after he scored all those goals last season but he’s been bloody brilliant in the deeper role this season. 

While we’re playing fantasy football, if we got rice and Maddison, we could rotate Bruno and Rice at “number 6”, while also rotating him with the others at “number 8”

I think Rice is better at the traditional defensive mid role of shielding the back four, breaking up play, etc what sets Bruno apart which we are seeing in this deeper role is the bloke is impossible to press in possession. He’s so fucking good at beating the opposition press, and from that deeper role he’s able to alleviate pressure and get our attack developing from such a strong platform. As you mention I’d love to see Rice and Bruno alongside each other with a more creative midfielder ahead, then we have Joelinton and Willock rotating in, or being subbed on to run opposing sides into the ground. 

2 hours ago, Howay said:

I think Rice is better at the traditional defensive mid role of shielding the back four, breaking up play, etc what sets Bruno apart which we are seeing in this deeper role is the bloke is impossible to press in possession. He’s so fucking good at beating the opposition press, and from that deeper role he’s able to alleviate pressure and get our attack developing from such a strong platform. As you mention I’d love to see Rice and Bruno alongside each other with a more creative midfielder ahead, then we have Joelinton and Willock rotating in, or being subbed on to run opposing sides into the ground. 

Belingham? 🙂 

7 hours ago, Howay said:

that’s the thing that separates Bruno for me. He plays the modern number 6 role, doing more than just shield and break up play. Botman and Schar can give him the ball even if he’s got an opposition player on his arse because he’s so good on the ball he’ll just glide past them before orchestrating another attack from deep. I’m pretty sure fish all have some hipster Italian word for the deep lying playmaker role. 

I’ve also been impressed with how strong he he is on the ball given he’s not the biggest bloke. I’d be happy if we bought a cheaper number 6 than rice as an understudy and got Maddison in to play ahead of Bruno. I can see those two linking up beautifully 

Not that I wouldn’t take Rice too mind. He was west ham’s best player at sjp by far.  

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3

No mistake, Rice is a brilliant player, has a great attitude and would be a quality addition. Every time we play West Ham he stands out against the rest of their team by a mile. 

• Like 3

'Cautious' is the word he's chosen? The club has smashed its transfer record whilst picking up elite young players from across Europe, meticulously fitted to the culture we are looking to build. And cautious is the word he uses. How he manages to write for a living is beyond me. 

• Like 2

Tbf to the chicken man, the names he reckons are on our long list are impressive:

“Even without Champions League football, Newcastle are going to be ambitious in their recruitment drive with players such as James Maddison, Moises Caicedo, Conor Gallagher, Ivan Toney, Kaoru Mitoma, Kavlin Phillips, Jarrod Bowen and Declan Rice being discussed, along with the likes of Scott McTominay, Harvey Barnes and Kieran Tierney.

There are also several players currently playing abroad who are attracting firm interest, with Borussia Monchengladbach’s Marcus Thuram, Celta Vigo’s Gabri Veiga, Bayer Leverkusen’s Moussa Diaby and Napoli pair Victor Osimhen and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia admired”

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Maddison, Rice, Osimehn, Diaby and Tierny would do - what is that, £300m? :lol:

With our initial starting budget of £20 million, it will mean Jamal Lewis will probably need to break the world record transfer fee to give us the funds we need

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Tbf to the chicken man, the names he reckons are on our long list are impressive:

“Even without Champions League football, Newcastle are going to be ambitious in their recruitment drive with players such as James Maddison, Moises Caicedo, Conor Gallagher, Ivan Toney, Kaoru Mitoma, Kavlin Phillips, Jarrod Bowen and Declan Rice being discussed, along with the likes of Scott McTominay, Harvey Barnes and Kieran Tierney.

There are also several players currently playing abroad who are attracting firm interest, with Borussia Monchengladbach’s Marcus Thuram, Celta Vigo’s Gabri Veiga, Bayer Leverkusen’s Moussa Diaby and Napoli pair Victor Osimhen and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia admired”

No Jude Bellingham? Pfft, shows what he knows. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I would love it, love it if we signed Rice.  Just to shut the Liverpool fan up at work.

Liverpool won't be able to afford him, especially without CL next season. So I suggest your Liverpool mate tempers his expectations for the summer.

• Like 2

BTW none of us should forget that as recently as about a month ago, the pundit view was Liverpool were back and we could just forget about top 4. These helmets and their desperate wishful thinking.

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season