Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

12 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Pure agent talk, we've not been linked to him at all since the takeover and now that Milan are after him "oh...yeah well...Newcastle want him to and they're well rich so we're going to need a little more on that wage packet and signing fee you know?"

• Like 3

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/howe-can-finally-axe-popular-nufc-dud-with-67m-machine-who-rarely-misses-a-chance-opinion/ar-AAW2DxU?li=BBoPWjP

Hopefully not true....Richarlison

He's a cheating little bustard diving all over the place against us and at west ham last weekend watch him rolling around pretending to have been kicked in the face

Edited by Rosco

Eddie Howe has said that Newcastle’s club’s summer transfer window “won’t be the revolution people expect” due to financial restrictions.

The club was taken over by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) in October, making the club one of the richest clubs in world football.

They spent around £90 million in the January transfer window on five players — Chris Wood, Bruno Guimaraes, Kieran Trippier, Dan Burn, and Matt Targett (on loan from Aston Villa).

Asked about his plans for the summer ahead of Newcastle’s Premier League game with Leicester on Sunday, Howe replied: “I’m happy with the squad while acknowledging that time never stands still and you have to look to continually improve and evolve.

“I’ve got no problem with looking outwards and saying ‘Right, we need certain things’.

“But I don’t think it will be the revolution that everyone thinks it will be, and it can’t be because we’re under financial restrictions.

“It’s not just a case of signing anybody — that will never be my way of working because it’s got to be someone who fits in the structure of the team and makes the team better, not just a very good individual. I don’t think it will be a case of wholesale changes.”

Howe also expressed hope that Sean Longstaff, the midfield player, whose contract expires this summer, could be persuaded to stay at Newcastle.

“Talks are continuing,” he said. “He's someone I've got a lot of respect for, a lot of time for.”

After taking over Newcastle while the club were in the relegation zone, Howe has led his side to 15th, 11 points clear of danger, and only six points off ninth.

Newcastle's priority is up front, where Callum Wilson has a patchy fitness record and Chris Wood a patchy scoring record.

Both are set to stay at St James' Park, but a quality striker will be fundamental to hopes of moving up the Premier League. They want quality everywhere, but this is a building project, not a demolition job and Howe and the club's owners want to see the current squad grow with them.

HOWE OUT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve heard from the bloke I know that this £60m figure being thrown about is the internal communication at the moment, and that it’s what we can spend under FFP.

That seems to line up with Howe’s quote there. Not sure how we can be capped to such a low number, whether it’s true or whether it’s just being put out with the intention it leaks out to the press which helps to deflate the idea of what we will spend. 

I just don’t really get how it tracks if we were wanting Botman and Eketike in January. Additionally, the players I’ve heard we are scouting have been a waste of time (Saliba, Kamara (Marseilles), Pacqueta, Raphinha, Nunez, etc), even the lower end ones (Brennan Johnson, Djed Spence, and Lloyd Kelly), if that number is true as after Matty Targetts 15m we’d be able to afford maybe one of them. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Howay said:

Is that bloke in anyway reliable? Seems a weird time to throw in a bid for a player? Unless we think we now can show we are safe. 

Are saying you don’t believe in Santi? 

Naughty list.

• Haha 3

It makes absolutely fuck all sense because his ‘proven’ PL track record, Brentford’s desire to hang onto him etc. would massively  inflate his price. Then we’re ‘the richest club in the world’. Decent backup (in terms of where we want to be) but there are much better players who are better value for money out there. The idea that (if Nunez has turned us down) that we’d jump to Toney as the next option is as ridiculous as the notion Edwards has the inside track tbh 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

On 15/04/2022 at 12:46, Howay said:

I’ve heard from the bloke I know that this £60m figure being thrown about is the internal communication at the moment, and that it’s what we can spend under FFP.

That seems to line up with Howe’s quote there. Not sure how we can be capped to such a low number, whether it’s true or whether it’s just being put out with the intention it leaks out to the press which helps to deflate the idea of what we will spend. 

I just don’t really get how it tracks if we were wanting Botman and Eketike in January. Additionally, the players I’ve heard we are scouting have been a waste of time (Saliba, Kamara (Marseilles), Pacqueta, Raphinha, Nunez, etc), even the lower end ones (Brennan Johnson, Djed Spence, and Lloyd Kelly), if that number is true as after Matty Targetts 15m we’d be able to afford maybe one of them. 

£60m + whatever we get from selling our existing stock.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season