First Gig You Went To

trooper

Mines Dr Feelgood Newcastle City Hall in 1975. I actually saw them 1st by default. I was 16 & started work at a food warehouse with my first wage (£15) I went to get a ticket for Manfred Manns Earthband who were on the following night. As I was in the foyeri saw a poster for a band called Dr Feelgood who were playing that night so I got a ticket for both ( about £1.20 each) went to see the and that night & loved them. I saw them a few times after that. In fact I virtually lived at the City Hall, mam & dad called it my 2nd home asi was never away from the place until the bigger productions couldn't fit in the City Hall.

Black Sabbath with Dio on the Heaven and Hell tour - City Hall March 1980. 

It was great but a bit scary as a 15/16 year old with an audience which seemed to be about 80% hells angels and bikers. 

I've got a horrible feeling it was either the Mission or Erasure! Both in 1987ish, city hall. The latter my then girlfriend had won the tickets in a Metro Radio phone in, it was brilliant in any case with Andy Bell strutting his stuff. Went to University the following year, did ENTS, and attended hundreds of gigs. Can't be arsed now and hate large venues. 

17 minutes ago, trooper said:

Mines Dr Feelgood Newcastle City Hall in 1975. I actually saw them 1st by default. I was 16 & started work at a food warehouse with my first wage (£15) I went to get a ticket for Manfred Manns Earthband who were on the following night. As I was in the foyeri saw a poster for a band called Dr Feelgood who were playing that night so I got a ticket for both ( about £1.20 each) went to see the and that night & loved them. I saw them a few times after that. In fact I virtually lived at the City Hall, mam & dad called it my 2nd home asi was never away from the place until the bigger productions couldn't fit in the City Hall.

Same band, same year Liverpool Empire

A very of their time band called “The Music” on my 17th birthday at the Empire in boro. 

Coincidentally the first time I did a pill, it was fucking class.

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think mine was Girlschool at the city hall around 1980.

Only a brief flirtation with heavy metal as the head shaking used to give me headaches. :lol: 

I was at that one I saw Girlschool a couple of times cracking band 

Edited by trooper
  • Like 1

My first intended gig was Rainbow - I queued for tickets at the City Hall just before Xmas 79 on a Saturday based on a rumour which turned out to be a few days out and as they went on sale on a school day the next week I missed out.

The Saturday was when we played QPR and won 4-2 - the turning point in a comeback was when Peter Withe tackled a dog that ran on the pitch while a free kick was about to be taken and it seemed to put them off leading to him scoring with a header from it. 

We should get PL to identify the dog if he can. 

• Haha 1

I remember coming home from school and my parents announcing they had tickets to go and see Musical Youth at what’s now known as Eldon Leisure. I didn’t particularly like them but my dad worked for Newcastle Council. Looking back I suspect they were a freebie as he can’t resist something for nothing. This would’ve been about 1982. Even as a little kid I remember thinking ‘these are shit, they’ve only got one song.’ There was also a Metro Radio roadshow at the event and I got Paddy McDee’s autograph :lol: First proper gig as an adolescent was Faith No More at the Mayfair. 
Unfortunately I wasn’t one of the 25,000 Geordies who were part of the 100 or so crowd that saw Nirvana play at the Ruverside before they were famous. 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

2 of my favourite gigs were Alice Cooper 1986 The Nightmare Returns Tour & KISS 1988 Crazy Nights Tour. Both shows were total opposites. The stage for Alice was strewn with boxes mannequins even an old fridge. He stuck a microphone stand through a photographers stomach. Then at the end of the show Alice got guillotined.  But still came back to sing Schools Out just shows you can't keep a bad man down. Then the KISS show was the total opposite no make up, costumes, blood or fire. Just 2 hours of brilliant music with the band & everyone in the City Hall leaving with massive smiles they even played some Beatles & Stones songs it was another Crazy Night. 

2 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

@trooper

There ypu go Troops = Wilko some fucking guitarist like

When the band came on I kept looking for another guitarist on stage until I realised Wilko played both rhythm & lead guitar together & his machine gun walk. Absolutely brilliant 

Edited by trooper
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, NJS said:

My first intended gig was Rainbow - I queued for tickets at the City Hall just before Xmas 79 on a Saturday based on a rumour which turned out to be a few days out and as they went on sale on a school day the next week I missed out.

The Saturday was when we played QPR and won 4-2 - the turning point in a comeback was when Peter Withe tackled a dog that ran on the pitch while a free kick was about to be taken and it seemed to put them off leading to him scoring with a header from it. 

We should get PL to identify the dog if he can. 

Saw Rainbow 4 times 2 consecutive nights in 1977. We all nearly got blinded when Cozy Powell played his drum solo to the 1812 Overture & set off a blinding pyro. Saw them at Ingleton Edinburgh & Whitley Bay Ice Rink 

In 1977 my mate came round & said he'd heard s band on the radio called Rush who were coming to England to play. We got tickets to see them it was the 2112 Tour saw them 4 times after that night. All The Worlds A Stage Tour AFarewell To Kings Tour, Hemispheres Tour & Permanent Waves Tour after that tour their stage productions became to big for the City Hall. A brilliant band 

Edited by trooper

13 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

Think it might have been The Quireboys at the Mayfair, maybe 1989 or something.

Saw The Quireboys a couple of times once  at Donington once at Newcastle Uni

6 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Therapy? at Newcastle University in late '94

i was at at that gig :lol:

screw that, forget about that, i don't want to hear about anything like that!

teethgrinder!

1 hour ago, strawb said:

A very of their time band called “The Music” on my 17th birthday at the Empire in boro. 

Coincidentally the first time I did a pill, it was fucking class.

I love The Music :lol: