First Gig You Went To

trooper

7 hours ago, Toonpack said:

I was also there, and they were shite, guitarist (Chapman I think) was completely pissed/off his head, thought Pete Way was going to chin him at one point. Strangely as well as being one of the crappest gigs I've been to, they also number among one of the better gig's I've been to, when they reformed and toured with Schenker (Walk on Water tour 95/96 ish, City Hall) they were excellent, next night they had a big barney on stage in Manchester and fucked the gig off :) (Tour was canned I think after that).

Support was Uli Jon Roth playing rocked up classical music on his 7 string guitar (first one I had ever seen).

Oh and Trooper, I was also at that KISS gig you mention, got tickets and then they announced it was an "out of makeup tour" was gutted, but you are dreaming if you think it was minimalist, there was fire (Symonds doing his fire breathing) and other pyro, the drum kit on  fake tank turret FFS which moved forward on the stage and fired smoke/dry ice into the crowd. (I had my trusty kodak instamatic with me and took pics).

Kiss1983/84  stage with tank turret

download (28).jpeg

• Like 1

Aye, I didn’t mind some of the stuff on the 4th album and watched them again when they had the bloke from the Black Crowes drumming. 

Since then they’ve been pretty shite.

Actually went to see Kelly Jones solo in York opera house when he released a solo album which was primarily about dead prostitutes. He had a string quartet and did a few phonics songs with them after the prozzie stuff. 

Pretty decent.

I've nothing against concerts but I've only been to two proper ones, both at the shit arena. So I've a first, a last and nothing in-between. I'm not Michael Owen, I promise. :lol:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've nothing against concerts but I've only been to two proper ones, both at the shit arena. So I've a first, a last and nothing in-between. I'm not Michael Owen, I promise. :lol:

I've been to more than two but still no where near as many as I would've liked but I'm sort of with you, there are so many arena venues that are fucking shite and any acts above regional level seem to utterly take the piss with ticket prices.

The first time I saw Joe Bonamassa I think the ticket was £20, the next time it was about £50 and his next tour I genuinely couldn't afford to go. 

I was gifted some tickets for Queen (due to mrs A's dad throwing his back out the day of the gig) but their face value was £130, they were good like but thats still fucking ridiculous for a band playing a set made up entirely of songs that are over 30 years old.

• Like 1

Arenas are shit, especially Newcastle's, but still plenty of good smaller venues in the city. City hall, O2 academy, Sage, Cluny, Live theatre, Boiler shop, the universities. My favourite venue of all time is the 100 club in London however. Much rather see a less famous band in an intimate venue than a load of has beens on a huge LCD monitor on a stage 200 metres away. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, trooper said:

I was at that one the band were playing "For Those About To Rock" & when they set the cannons off some of the polystyrene ceiling tiles came off landing on the crowd stood on the boards covering the ice. 

They did indeed :lol:

They blew the ones over the cannons, then each cannon blast after that blew some more off- was about 6-8 massive panels altogether. 

I met Brian Johnson many years later at a lock in and had a beer with him, and I asked him if he remembered that gig?

Said of course he did, and that Angus wasn’t happy because they had to pay for the repairs  :lol:

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

0D7F6D80-EDE7-4A64-92E7-362612E91C92.thumb.jpeg.4c82ea24cce95a5d5c1f066458aefe55.jpeg

1 hour ago, NJS said:

What year was that? 

I saw them there in 2000 but the support doesn't look right by my memory.... 

See that big ‘98 next to “Ozzfest” ? :lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

They did indeed :lol:

They blew the ones over the cannons, then each cannon blast after that blew some more off- was about 6-8 massive panels altogether. 

I met Brian Johnson many years later at a lock in and had a beer with him, and I asked him if he remembered that gig?

Said of course he did, and that Angus wasn’t happy because they had to pay for the repairs  :lol:

Yeah I met Brian one Saturday Night at our local CIU club. We spent almost all night talking absolute gentleman. He was telling me at the time Van Halen were on the verge of splitting up. Brian said him & Eddie were good friends & Eddie had asked about joining AC/DC he said Angus wasn't having it. BTW the acoustics at the ice rink were shit as are all these big arenas

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Arenas are shit, especially Newcastle's, but still plenty of good smaller venues in the city. City hall, O2 academy, Sage, Cluny, Live theatre, Boiler shop, the universities. My favourite venue of all time is the 100 club in London however. Much rather see a less famous band in an intimate venue than a load of has beens on a huge LCD monitor on a stage 200 metres away. 

I saw Gil Scott Heron at the Riverside in 1990 and it was one of the best gigs I’ve been to. 

He took the absolute piss coming on about 2hrs late or whatever it was, but by then everyone was well lubricated/medicined (including him), and when he did actually come on he played an absolute belter- couldn’t have been more than 1-200 people there, but it was an amazing atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Great view from the stage mind ;) 

• Haha 1

Best venue I’ve been was the Roman coliseum at Nimes. 

Went with about 20 mates to see Stang, (who was surprisingly good and even more surprisingly funny), got suitably baked on Moroccan pollen and spent the warm-up acts tearing around the old outer levels giving it I Claudius, then the concert itself was very good- loads of Police, stacks of Hendrix covers etc. 

Ar%C3%A8nes-de-N%C3%AEmes-2-%C2%A9-L.-Bo

festival-de-nimes-arena-fireworks.jpg

I love Placebo and still go and see them when I can but they seem slightly out of place there. 

I've seen them mix it with rock acts at Reading but Metallica and Sepultura are a bit other end of the scale. 

9 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I saw Gil Scott Heron at the Riverside in 1990 and it was one of the best gigs I’ve been to. 

He took the absolute piss coming on about 2hrs late or whatever it was, but by then everyone was well lubricated/medicined (including him), and when he did actually come on he played an absolute belter- couldn’t have been more than 1-200 people there, but it was an amazing atmosphere. 

in a similar vein, saw Big Country at their warm up gig for the Without the Aid of a Safety Net tour, Newcastle Uni, downstairs bar iirc and tiny, was like having them play your local, was tremendous.

29 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

in a similar vein, saw Big Country at their warm up gig for the Without the Aid of a Safety Net tour, Newcastle Uni, downstairs bar iirc and tiny, was like having them play your local, was tremendous.

The band I saw the most - probably saw them about 25 times altogether. 

• Like 1