First Gig You Went To

trooper

12 hours ago, strawb said:

I drove to Belgium for a electronica festival with 2 mates and their GFs in my 20s. It got weird 

You can’t just leave it at that like.  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

You can’t just leave it at that like.  

We took a large (about 100) bag of pills with us. Getting on the ferry was fine no issue.

Once we got to France one of the lasses had a fit thinking they were going to search our stuff and we would get arrested. She emptied out a shampoo bottle and a shower gel bottle and put most of the pills inside there.

Once we got to the festival we opened the bottles to get them out and she had taken them out of the bag. They had turned into a kind of soapy powdery mush which was cool.

Until day 3 when we had ran out of the solid pills and we tried the powdery mush instead, it wasn’t pleasant. 

There are other things that occurred but they were mainly run of the mill.

• Like 1

One miserable Sunday night in October 1987 I had a decision to make. Either go to the club to the usual Sunday night disco. The alternative I'd read in the Kerrang about this new band coming over from America called Guns N Roses. There were only playing 6 shows here one was the City Hall. I'd never heard them was going to go to the club & thought fuck it I'll go & see them. Got to the City Hall tickets were £5 & only downstairs was open due to low ticket demand. Support band Faster Pussycat came on & I thought they were ok. Nipped downstairs for a swift pint at halftime back for the main event. The band came on & I thought they looked cool as fuck. You couldn't see the lead guitarists face as it was covered in thick curls with a top hat on. The singer had a great voice sometimes high pitched screaming then it seemed to go quite deep. We later found out there names were Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy & Steven. They were rough around the edges but it didn't matter i really enjoyed them. After the show I bought a t shirt on my way out for a fiver. It was the cross on the front of the censored Appetite  For Destruction cover. I went into town the next day & bought the album on cassette for my Walkman. I saw them again the following year at Donington people were just picking up on them . Unfortunately during their Donington set the crowd pushed forward when they came on & to lads were trampled on & died. In the summer of 1989 MTV started playing Sweet Child Of Mine on heavy rotatation. In 1991 I went to Wembley Stadium for their only UK date. It was a red hot day 92 degrees in the stadium support bands were Nine Inch Nails & Skid Row. Waiting for Guns to come on i looked at a packed Wembley & realised in less than 4 years they'd become the biggest band on the planet. The last time I saw them was in 1992 at Gateshead Stadium the show was ok but by then Izzy followed Steven & left the band & not to long after Slash would leave as well. Sorry its a bit long winded but I wanted to share these memories with you.

P.S. my son Axl will be 27 this year 

• Like 2