frankie goes to walton and his match throwing twats v diplomacy eddie and his robbed blind heroes

thebrokendoll

Was out last night but caught up on the highlights this morning. My observations:

• Complete 'smash and grab' from Everton. Despite what Lampard said they DIDN'T get what they deserve.
  • Suspect red card for me. I get the points Howay is trying to make but is these situations I ask myself how I'd feel if it had been one of ours sent off - I'd be fuming.
  • ASM just doesn't look fit to me - people can bang on about the fact he lost the ball in the middle of the park and it cost us all they like, but a fully fit ASM would have been motoring with the ball in the other direction.
  • We clearly need to find ourselves a potent goalscorer. I think Wood is a good old fashioned centre-forward but he hasn't quite got that killer instinct in front of goal that we're going to need if we're going to progress.
  • Dubravka was poorly positioned for their goal. It went in almost in the middle of the goal frame. He's a great shot-stopper but again it's another area we need to strengthen if we have ideas of advancing.
  • The international break has come at the right time. 

Look we've lost 2 games away from home on the bounce 1-0 down to last minute goals. It IS frustrating but it's not the doomsday scenario some are going on about. There are far worse teams in this division than us, and we've got a number of players to return from injury too.

• Like 7

I think the cable tie prick has a lot to answer for - Everton were shit before and shit after the break but I think we went from a team in control of the game to one just as shit as Everton. 

I agree the shit refereeing and mental as well as physical tiredness were factors too but stupid breaks in games sometimes have effects on one team or the other - see that dog incident I mentioned in the gig thread as another example. 

• Like 2

I think the red card incident definitely had an effect. At that stage of the game they were quite relentless and something they've needed to find if they're to have any hope of ever getting out of this.

11 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I'll lick your nipples clean off next time I see you. The rest of you will be unharmed. 

Dorty bastard.

Disappointing ending to that game but I didn't see us capitalising on the red card, definitely didn't see them scoring either, mind. I honestly thought we weathered their early storm perfectly and were composed as fuck finding little pockets and being brave not hoofing it which is exactly what we did second half. A terrible goal to concede and a naive one as well. Felt robbed at Chelsea and no complaints whatsoever from the side but a few need a little bit of extra coaching and videos of what not to do. CT has obviously been doing some retro sniffing of tippax if he's still worried about relegation, mind.

We need a striker for next season as Wood just doesn't look like he can score nor is particularly mobile, I get he's played his part and wouldn't dismiss that but I think a more mobile striker nicks us a win when we're on top, Wilson is that but it's no good when you're injury prone. Everton made it a dogs of war game but I'm afraid that's allowed especially when you're on a run like theirs plus that's the loudest and most sustained support I've ever seen them give their team for about a quarter of a century so we need to take that into account as well. Hopefully the good coach we seem to have knows what buttons to press with the players and sees the mistakes and errors so can help coach it out of them. No big deal in the cold light of day just need to be more brave with the ball and not give it up cheaply. 

• Like 2

ASM has only trained twice in four weeks, according to Howe.

Sounds like his injury is still bothering him and Howe says it's been hard to get him enough time on the training pitch to be match ready whilst avoiding a flare up of the injury. 

So this time away should be good for him too. But the point is he's clearly not firing on anything close to all cylinders. 

• Like 1

I don't get the disagreement about the red. Unless the rules have changed, which is possible,  diving in with two feet off the ground is always a straight red.

Bruno looked a class above last night. A decent forward to run onto his through balls will be a beautiful sight

Frustrated as fuck, especially as I really want the hilarity of Everton down, but just shows how well Howe has done with that squad. Not going to criticise them too much though, they looked knackered

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Don't take it too bad. Thread title was there, content in the thread was there.  It was a last minute sucker punch.  Sir, you did us proud.

Fuck that - sack him

animation execution GIF by Kyle Platts

:wink2:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Craig said:

Was out last night but caught up on the highlights this morning. My observations:

• Complete 'smash and grab' from Everton. Despite what Lampard said they DIDN'T get what they deserve.
  • Suspect red card for me. I get the points Howay is trying to make but is these situations I ask myself how I'd feel if it had been one of ours sent off - I'd be fuming.
  • ASM just doesn't look fit to me - people can bang on about the fact he lost the ball in the middle of the park and it cost us all they like, but a fully fit ASM would have been motoring with the ball in the other direction.
  • We clearly need to find ourselves a potent goalscorer. I think Wood is a good old fashioned centre-forward but he hasn't quite got that killer instinct in front of goal that we're going to need if we're going to progress.
  • Dubravka was poorly positioned for their goal. It went in almost in the middle of the goal frame. He's a great shot-stopper but again it's another area we need to strengthen if we have ideas of advancing.
  • The international break has come at the right time. 

Look we've lost 2 games away from home on the bounce 1-0 down to last minute goals. It IS frustrating but it's not the doomsday scenario some are going on about. There are far worse teams in this division than us, and we've got a number of players to return from injury too.

Disagree about the red card as I’d be fuming if one of our lot threw in a tackle like that in a game we needed to win, but agree with the rest. 

Like you say I’m not sure how Lampard can say it was deserved we had 62% possession and double both their shots and shots on target, they were better second half but we controlled the first and if Wood had scored that early chance they’d have been in real trouble. Wood missed and they scored basically their only real chance, that’s the balance of the game. 

ASM was fouled imo, the player barged in through the back and never touched the ball. I’m not really sure what ASM is meant to do other than “be stronger” but again the player just ran over and shoved him :lol: 

To add to the foul above, the ref completely ignored that the ball went out off Coleman, not Wood, up their end and gave a goal kick, then made the same error by giving them a corner when it went off Coleman (btw this is my EXACT reason for fucking hating VAR, as decisions like a corner or throw in given the wrong way aren’t looked at but massively change games). Agree about Dubs as well, shit defending and a lot of blame in the lead up but he was caught out and let in a pretty tame shot. 

We’d played 3 away games in 8 days, two of them being a trip to London and then Southampton, the tiredness definitely caught up to our lot especially second half and the Everton players had a lot more riding on the game due to their position and upcoming fixtures. If I was offered 3 points from Southampton, Chelsea, and Everton away I’d have taken it tbh. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

They might not have deserved to lose, but they definitely didn't deserve to win. We didn't either, mind you. Wood, Krafth and Willock were poor, imo. Wood wasn't getting the better of Keane often and when he did, the rest of the attacking unit were too far away from him to take advantage. But then Howe didn't instruct the team to play further up so that Almiron, Fraser, Willock could get onto some of Bruno's passes. Wonder if we'd have been better off with Wilock ahead of a double pivot in Longstaff and Bruno?

Didn't really understand the like for like replacements either. Instead of JM<>EK, MA<>ASM and JM<>RF , why not remove Willock or Joelinton for Gayle? Or, when they went a man down, bring on ASM for Krafth and go 3 at the back? 

If our missing players had managed a 7/10 performance we'd have won that game, but when their inadequate replacements have a 7/10 game, we're fucked. 

Negativity aside, that was our 4th away game in 12 days. We were missing several of our most important players from the starting line-up. We were the better side, but just lacked a bit of luck/quality in front of goal. Plus, it was a fucking weird game.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Where do you even start with this?

:lol: 

His insanity and troubling behavior aside, I’ve seen this “corrupt referee” shit from Everton fans - even if we debate the red card, and all the other borderline stuff Everton got away with, is there any debate that the ball went off an Everton player twice yet they got both decisions in the lead up to their goal? There’s no “subjectivity” there, he got both decisions wrong and they scored a goal because of it, get either or both right and they didn’t score. But aye, the ref was totally against them or something. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

Why when teams lose does there need to be finger pointing? It’s the total opposite of what good, successful, well ran teams actually do.

I bet if you saw the bloke that wrote that tweet play football he would look like he has had a severe stroke 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, strawb said:

Why when teams lose does there need to be finger pointing? It’s the total opposite of what good, successful, well ran teams actually do.

I bet if you saw the bloke that wrote that tweet play football he would look like he has had a severe stroke 

You're absolutely right. It's human instinct to 'solutionise' and identify a single, or fundamental point of failure rather than it be a systemic failure. It's lazy and subjective analysis.

If we take into account the Chelsea match for instance, yes Burn did make an error but how many times have been been in his debt since he joined?

• Like 1