Defensive Stalwart. The Big Dan.

ohhh_yeah

They were going to do a 'Colossus of the Tyne' a few years ago modelled on me standing either side of the mouth of the Tyne but realised the tall ships masts would've been in danger of catching my knackers if they did build it so decided to give it a miss. :good:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

They were going to do a 'Colossus of the Tyne' a few years ago modelled on me standing either side of the mouth of the Tyne but realised the tall ships masts would've been in danger of catching my knackers if they did build it so decided to give it a miss. :good:

So you’re saying your knackers hang lower than your cock?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Did you know real Colossus of Rhodes didn’t stand astride the ancient at Rhodes town? That said, that image definitely looks better in a souvenir t-shirt / ashtray / tea towel than the reality. 

Stood to one side, didn't it? More like the Statue of Liberty than the popular image?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Stood to one side, didn't it? More like the Statue of Liberty than the popular image?

Aye. Although no one really knows what it was like, it standing astride the harbour was impossible from an engineering pov and for other practical reasons and based on existing evidence etc. Unless HMHM has a bit of Greek ancestry 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye. Although no one really knows what it was like, it standing astride the harbour was impossible from an engineering pov and for other practical reasons and based on existing evidence etc. Unless HMHM has a bit of Greek ancestry 

It stood feet planted on either side till one day a particularly tall mast did indeed scrape it's crown jewels so it was then dismantled to just sit crouched atop a religious treasure trove. Then one day it heard plans to put it back astride the harbour and have it's family benefits in danger of being hit again by the old sea salts of antiquity sailing underneath it's legs.....

'You fucking what, mate?'

tumblr_n0l3oo60Pd1ql2w65o2_500.gif.d91a3308204c28f2ea7fc284ff3a32f0.gif

• Haha 6

Women were fucking lifting back in the day.  I mean presumably these were hotties at the time.  Thank fuck I’m alive now when it’s a veritable blartathon. Forsooth.   

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Did you know real Colossus of Rhodes didn’t stand astride the ancient harbour at Rhodes town? That said, that image definitely looks better on a souvenir t-shirt / ashtray / tea towel than the reality. 

Whoah…really?…holiday memories crushed..  😞

DC5FB473-1818-44E5-B165-8397C51B5937.jpeg

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Women were fucking lifting back in the day.  I mean presumably these were hotties at the time.  Thank fuck I’m alive now when it’s a veritable blartathon. Forsooth.   

Duchess of Roker would like a word. 
11724193.jpg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Duchess of Roker would like a word. 
11724193.jpg

Most Mackems would after 10 bottles of WKD.........probably reminds them of sister

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

he's been immense. but...

i thought tuesday was his worst game since he joined for us. the first time he's looked like a 6ft7 centre half playing at left back. i hope he stops trying to drop the shoulder and turn back towards our goal as he was caught out doing it at least twice - one time could have led to a goal for them. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Dear Dan,

When I walked up Wembley Way with you, a mere seven-year-old, on my shoulders en route to the FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea in 2000, who could have predicted that the next time Newcastle would be fighting for a cup there, I’d be in the stands, watching my son in those gorgeous black-and-white stripes?

It was only ever going to be this club for you.

After all, you and Jack, your brother, drew teams out of a hat to decide which matches the pair of you would go to with our East Stand season ticket. Tyne-Wear derbies, top-of-the-table clashes and Champions League nights — you saw it all under Sir Bobby Robson.

For your own football journey, first there was Blyth Town — I’m still puzzled you decided to be a keeper — and then Spartans. A left-back to begin with — I suppose you’ve come full circle! — then a centre-half, you won everything going.

Those two years as a junior at Newcastle’s Centre of Excellence coincided with a growth spurt, when you struggled to adapt to your changing body. That letter on Christmas Eve, releasing you as a 14-year-old, was gut-wrenching.

But it never held you back. You made sure you made it.

You pushed trollies at Asda and grafted in non-League with Darlington before Everton and Fulham came calling. For your medical, I told you to “look the part”. In hindsight, perhaps wearing suits might not have been the best idea, seeing as you had to undress about 15 times. Then there was Yeovil — remember son, you’ve already won, and scored, at Wembley — Birmingham and Wigan.

Away from football, you married your childhood sweetheart, Roz, and started a beautiful family, only to move about as far away as possible to Brighton!

When the takeover happened, you told me: “That’s that, Dad. They’re never going to sign Brighton’s Dan Burn.” Then the speculation started and it was unbearable because I so wanted it to be true.

That night you came back, when I was stood alongside you in the boardroom, it moved me to tears. Your debut against Aston Villa topped it. Captaining (briefly) against Brentford was another level still.

That’s before we think about the quarter-final… I was so proud I can barely put it into words.

I still can’t believe I wasn’t there, instead, I was watching from a bar in Spain, but it doesn’t diminish it one bit. Seeing you slalom in from the left and caress the ball in with your right foot, at the Gallowgate End, with a finish Alan Shearer would be proud of — I’ve watched it hundreds of times since and I still can’t quite believe it. That was just so special.

Since then, I find myself driving places and suddenly I have a massive smile on my face because I remember that goal.

Newcastle brought you home and you bloody deserved that chance. You are still the very same lad; the best father, husband, brother and son we could all wish for. Nothing has changed you. You’re still Dan from Blyth, with the same mates who have followed you all the way and everyone can see that.

Your resilience, your perseverance, should be an inspiration to every young kid in the north east. You are no Peter Beardsley, but you proved that sheer determination and hard work can take you far. As our fellow fans sing, “You’ll never, ever beat Dan Burn.”

You are living the dream of so many and you understand that responsibility.

Sat on my shoulders 23 years ago, you were excited and euphoric walking up Wembley Way. This time it’s my turn. In the stands, I’ll be donning your match-worn shirt from the quarter-final, the one you saved especially for me. I’m welling up just thinking about the moment you run out…

That will be my lad, my Dan, on the world stage, showing who he is: a great footballer and an even better bloke.

I wish I could bottle up this feeling I have because it would make me millions if I sold it. I’m so immensely proud of you son.

Love Dad"

• Like 5