World Cup 2022

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Eddie Howe as England boss would have beat Italy in the Euros final. FACT. 

But they can fuck off cos he's stopping here. 

I'm not so sure - I think we'll see as he's certainly future England manager material - but hopefully at least 6 years from now.

They don't get the coaching time you get at a club - and since the premiership, it's even harder because clubs withhold players or pressure them to not go to friendlies etc.

It went to pens with Italy - that's lucky lottery with any team - but we deserved that just for the pure cheating they got away with.

27 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Does that matter if we get results and Shaw has been godlike for England.

He said he wouldn't pick people based on their name and would pick them on form.  It worked for him in the Euro's mostly because there was only a couple out of form.  That's not the case now.

He did a superb job on unifying the lads and getting them enjoying international football.  That will only get you so far.  Look at his fuck up in the final.  Bringing on a player just to take a pen and he doesn't touch the ball apart from the pen and he fucks it up.  That's just fucking dumb.

IMO we are out in the first knockout and I shall be honest.  I doubt I shall watch a game, I have zero interest in the England team nowadays.

37 minutes ago, scoobos said:

I'm not so sure - I think we'll see as he's certainly future England manager material - but hopefully at least 6 years from now.

They don't get the coaching time you get at a club - and since the premiership, it's even harder because clubs withhold players or pressure them to not go to friendlies etc.

It went to pens with Italy - that's lucky lottery with any team - but we deserved that just for the pure cheating they got away with.

Eddie Howe set us up to beat Man City at SJP. He goes to Old Trafford and tries to win. That would have been enough vs Italy. 

When Shaw scored England should have been all over them. Italy were rattled, misplacing passes and getting arsey with each other whilst England kept letting them have the ball instead of winning the tournament inside the first half hour. Italy were there for the taking but Southgate's a pussy.

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Eddie Howe set us up to beat Man City at SJP. He goes to Old Trafford and tries to win. That would have been enough vs Italy. 

Its more complex than just setting a strategy though innit - he's been intensively coaching them for months.

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He said he wouldn't pick people based on their name and would pick them on form.  It worked for him in the Euro's mostly because there was only a couple out of form.  That's not the case now.

He did a superb job on unifying the lads and getting them enjoying international football.  That will only get you so far.  Look at his fuck up in the final.  Bringing on a player just to take a pen and he doesn't touch the ball apart from the pen and he fucks it up.  That's just fucking dumb.

IMO we are out in the first knockout and I shall be honest.  I doubt I shall watch a game, I have zero interest in the England team nowadays.

Saka was scoring penalties in training though.
hopefully I'll remind you of this when we make the finals :D I'm proper positive about England at the moment, as are all the other ticket buying supporters I sit with. not going to this one though :( Which is pretty gutting.

The last time we've had the positive spirit in the stands like this was Euro 96 and I was a wee whippersnapper at those games 19 . Funnily enough, its like NUFC now - its been since Bobby that I've seen the place so positive. Back then, my best mate at the time was whining that Bobby needed to go because we weren't performing well enough - which is exactly how I feel about the anti Southgate sentiment tbh. 

Genuinely feels like one of about 6 teams could do it this time, even with the outlier of Brazil looking excellent. Argentina are quietly something like 34 unbeaten, Spain and Germany seem to be getting underrated and England have tournament form. There’s even sides like Denmark and Croatia who are excellent sides and could throw a spanner in the works. And that’s before the likes of Japan, Uruguay and Senegal turn up to make awkward work of everyone. I’m starting to be won over to the idea that this might be a good tournament, despite everything

• Like 3

6 hours ago, scoobos said:

We got precisely what we deserved imo. We barely crossed the half way line after scoring. They are nothing special either

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Well he was already on their 55 man longlist. I don't think they've announced their actual squad yet.

According to wikipedia its 39. The 26 will be announced on 11th Nov.

8 of the 39 have no caps at all. Plus 5 GKs listed.

Edited by Holden McGroin

33 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Listening to the radio earlier and they were talking England. Then looking at Wor Al's selection for England. You realise what a dog shit defence we have when Shaw, Dier and Maguire are there 

If Dan Burn had played the majority of the season at centre back he might have sneaked in the squad….fuckin Dier man 😫

No real surprises.

I wouldn't be picking Phillips as he has barely kicked a ball this year.  Same for Maguire. Eric Dier is absolute dog shit as well.

Its not a great squad with lots of players out of form or not even fit. Can't see us doing well.

Just now, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Tbf to Southgate, can’t really argue with a lot of that. Gallagher is an odd one though, especially when Loftus-Cheek is playing more and more for Chelsea recently. Maddison won’t get a look in btw. Neither will Wilson, I reckon but nice for him to get the recognition

Well, you can argue the centre halves but he was always going to pick his usual suspects there. Hopefully White plays rather than Maguire